Author Topic: General out-of-bounds rules question  (Read 1729 times)

dananarama

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
General out-of-bounds rules question
« on: March 23, 2006, 06:03:13 PM »
I'm just curious about an OB rules detail here.  When reading my new PDGA rule book, it appears that a disc at rest partially on a road designated as out-of-bounds and partially in play would not be OB.  However, I think I remember hearing someone say that if any part of the disc made contact with the road, then the disc is OB.  Could someone clarify here?  

Thanks,

dan

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 09:10:47 PM »
803.09.A  "A disc shall be considered out-of-bounds only when it comes to rest and it is clearly and completely surrounded by the out-of-bounds area."
http://www.pdga.com/rules/index.php
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 12:53:04 AM »
The rule change wasn't really necessary.

Basically, the rule change states that when the OB line has a detectable thickness, the disc has to be actually touching in bounds (not just the line), to be considered in bounds.

The best example of why this rule was changes is this...

Your disc comes to rest out of bounds, but leaning on an OB marking fence.  Since the fence (OB line) is now considered OB, the disc is also OB.  The line used to be considered good, as in tennis.

str8

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 04:57:48 AM »
Okay, I think I get it Mike. However, clarify one thing for me. The fence has two sides. One side is OB, the other is safe. If the disc is resting against the fence on the in-bound side it's safe, but if it's resting on the OB side it's out. Right?

superq

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 07:33:59 AM »
yes as long as any part of the disc is touching in bounds the disc is safe (If the fence is the OB line than the entire fence is ob)

So assuming that we are talking about a wooden rail fence and you throw a roller that lands on the IB side of the fence and is leaning against the fence you are safe, becuase the disc is touching in bounds, where the rule change is in play is that if you roll to the OB side of the fence and are leaning against the fence you are still out, this is the change since the OB line is now considered OB where it used to be safe.

andrew.jewett

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 06:30:55 PM »
Is any disc not on the fairway out of bounds? Where do you drop from?

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 10:10:44 PM »
OBs are definite marked or otherwise announced areas.  On most courses in the KC area, roads, water, walking trails are OB.  At Swope, the areas surrounded by rocks are OB at the call of a TD or league supervisor.  Wooded areas are not necessarily OB, in fact most around here are considered IN bounds.  Play where it lay.  Read the OB rule sited above for more info.
Bluebird ROCKS!

andrew.jewett

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 09:47:33 AM »
What about if I am teeing off on hole#4 at swope(along the road) and my disk lands in hole#3's fairway? Is that OB?

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 10:12:03 AM »
No.

Occasionally we'll have an event there where we lay down rope between fairways to designate that as out of bounds during a tournament. But normally that is not considered out of bounds.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 03:50:10 PM »
Hey Kev--

you know that pic you have as an avatar is NOT the tornado that hit Sedalia or Lawrence or anywhere else near here, right?  It's been making the rounds, but it's from somewhere else from about 5 years ago.

Totally off topic...

steve
Bluebird ROCKS!

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 08:48:51 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I suspected as much but hadn't been able to find anything out about it. Still a great shot though.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 08:56:09 AM »
Quote from: "Nivek9"
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I suspected as much but hadn't been able to find anything out about it. Still a great shot though.

It is a cool photo.  It was shot at Lake Okeechobee in Florida in 1991, I think, at least that's what Don Harman said on FOX4 about a week ago.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.