Author Topic: Bottles on the course  (Read 2287 times)

BenC

Bottles on the course
« on: August 03, 2011, 10:11:38 AM »
I am seeing more and more people bringing bottles out to the course.  Even people that have played for a while are starting to bring them.  Last night at New Players League there was an injury caused by broken bottles on the course.  Please, if you are bringing bottles to the course stop, and if you see people with them let them know that bottles don’t really belong on the course.  Even if they are throwing them in the trash cans, and they all say they do, they are still a threat to get pulled out and broken on parts of the course.  There are people that will take unwanted cans out of the trash but not bottles.

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Bottles on the course
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 10:22:11 AM »
Ben, I wish you well on your endeavor to abolish glass bottles on all courses.
Steven Disc Glover

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 11:01:08 AM »
Just clean the trash from Down Under once and you will realize how hard this will be to change!
I agree, but good luck!
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 11:10:49 AM »
Besides, kegs are metal...so are cans.  The brewers mean for the final product to be in metal.  It tastes better that way... :-\

and finally,  some Sprecher products are going into cans...so far, the Root Beer and the Special Amber.  I'm hoping that'll make for cheaper shipping and encourage someone to bring it into MO...hoping.
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

BenC

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 12:16:44 PM »
I guess you are all correct this was a foolish endeavor.  I should just let it go and not care about anything or get mad when a friend gets hurt on broken bottles on the course.  Drinking from cans is beneath us anyway and people shouldn’t intentionally fall on shards of glass.  Hope this never happens to anyone else and the next time you see Bert tell him not to fall on the broken glass.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 12:26:23 PM »
We had a group on Facebook for a while that was basically a pledge to not bring bottles on the course. It had quite a few members but now I can't seem to find it.

Was it for sure a bottle he was cut on? There used to be a great deal of broken glass from windows over on #15 fairway by the big tree and railroad ties. Whether bottles or glass from windows I hope he heals up okay. Trash of any kind on the course sucks but glass is simply not necessary. Lots of high quality beers can be found in cans these days. Modus Hoperandi from Ska Brewing is one of my faves and they have several other styles in cans as well.

While your desire to end the use of bottles on the course may seem futile it is certainly worthwhile to raise awareness of the issue.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 12:28:28 PM »
you should at least LIKE our facebook page!

https://www.facebook.com/DONTBRINGBOTTLES
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 12:29:07 PM »
if you are strong enough to carry them to the course, then be strong enough to carry them out.  plus glass is 100% recycable.  How about getting ripple glass to give us a bin out there and folks can drop them off after a round?  doubt the parks would allow that since KC is so far behind other green cities but it would be worth a try.  Educating golfers about "carry in carry out" with some signs near tee 1 might be a good way to help alleviate the issue.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 12:29:41 PM »
you should at least LIKE our facebook page!

https://www.facebook.com/DONTBRINGBOTTLES

Now why couldn't I find that earlier......   ::)

I looked for it, I swear I did....  thanks for posting the link.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 12:30:25 PM »
if you are strong enough to carry them to the course, then be strong enough to carry them out.  plus glass is 100% recycable.  How about getting ripple glass to give us a bin out there and folks can drop them off after a round?  doubt the parks would allow that since KC is so far behind other green cities but it would be worth a try.  Educating golfers about "carry in carry out" with some signs near tee 1 might be a good way to help alleviate the issue.

*LIKE*
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037

HaterAde

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 12:47:43 PM »
I like the Ripple Glass idea, but I'll bet the container would end up being used for regular trash.

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 01:55:49 PM »
I guess you are all correct this was a foolish endeavor.  I should just let it go and not care about anything or get mad when a friend gets hurt on broken bottles on the course.  Drinking from cans is beneath us anyway and people shouldn’t intentionally fall on shards of glass.  Hope this never happens to anyone else and the next time you see Bert tell him not to fall on the broken glass.

I didn't mean it was foolish in anyway, just a huge endeavor!

Putting recycling bins and sign is a start but the same fools that tip over trash cans and smash bottles on the course are going to be hard to convert.
The only way to change the behavior is penalize the person(s). Not sure how you would do that short of having the city pass a ‘no glass’ ordinance?
Also, passing it does not mean it would be enforced!
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 02:11:23 PM »
jeez get over it, some beers are better from glass, what next outlaw glass bowls? just chastise the litterbugs and live with it already, you can all learn sensitivity by playing barefoot!
espouse elucidation

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 03:38:07 PM »
Modus Hoperandi - a great hoppy brew that comes in 6pack/cans - for your hop~heads.
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 11:52:19 PM »
i was enjoying my favorite libation in a glass bowl, and guess what? the birds still chirp in harmony and i followed a baby squirrel back up the fairway, and i thought i lost my entire golf bag, and then realized i only brought one disc and i swear i could hear cops somewhere. glass is still legal right? and littering is so bogus! i think we could coexist on this issue.
espouse elucidation