Author Topic: Heading East South East on Sunday... What courses should I play?  (Read 542 times)

Loomis

This route takes me south to Memphis, then to Birmingham, Montgomery, Atlanta, Appling, Rock Hill, Charlotte, Asheville, Nashville, then home. Which way is yet to be determined.

I have five days to play at least 8 courses. I can modify the direction of the trip a bit if there is a course I shouldn't miss.

I talked with the man at Flyboy Aviation and I missed playing that course by a day. He's out of town on the day I roll by.

So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Heading East South East on Sunday... What courses should I play?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 05:32:09 PM »
Paducah has a nice wooded course, in all honesty quite a few in Nashville are pretty good as well (I like 7 OAKS prolly the best there) , I didn't see those on your list its worth a day stop. 
There is a Private 27 hole about 2 hours south of Atlanta that was an absolute blast to play (I couldn't find it on the directory today).  The courses in Atlanta were Redan I think was the one that was the best in the "city" the others were not so interesting...ok, the other course north of atlanta on a softball complex, again 27 holes I think was also a treat to play(Cumming I think....), it had a ton of elevation when I played it, that was in 2004 I think so I am sure it has matured, it was pretty new when I played it, but had a few blind shots that I lost a disc and then got it back like in 2008 in K-Zoo....the inner city courses.  Should stop and play the IDGC courses, they are good courses to enjoy though off the beaten path it's on your way.  Bottom line, I would look online for help in the area as well, you can get good information from your "local type" and then find someone like Stiles to point you in a different direction that usually will end up with you not being shot... 8)
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 05:34:36 PM »
Seven Oaks in Nashville is a fun course. Don't miss the three named holes between #6 and #7. It's really a  21 hole course. Also, if you are heading south on 24 through Paducah, KY I highly recommend playing the Paducah course. In Atlanta I thoroughly enjoyed Redan Park on the east side of town.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

sirbronco

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 08:24:03 PM »
I enjoyed Hornet's Nest and Rennaissance Park in Charlotte, NC when I was there a couple of months ago.

Van
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

tla06

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 11:01:25 PM »
I second Renaissance Park; Willis Park, Alpharetta; The Sinks, Chattanooga; Cedar ?Rock? State Park, Burlington, NC (2 courses); Meeman Shelby, Memphis (2 courses) and Bud Hill (private) if you can get a local to show you the way and get you in; Cedar Hills, Nashville (if you have time after 7oaks); Smyrna, TN (don't remember the name but bring your big boy game); Barfield Crescent, Murfreesboro (fun and fairly quick round unless you play twice ;D).  Shall I go on?
Wind??  What wind??

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 10:06:40 PM »
Hey, Loomis, if you get this...if you are coming back through SE Missouri (Cape Girardeau sorta way) holler to me, come play Ste Genevieve.  It won't be in your highest rated section for sure, but it shouldn't be at the bottom either.  Wish I'd seen this before now...

steve
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 12:31:05 PM »
Bud Hill is supposed to be pretty cool; I would have played it but it was under water the last time I was in Memphis.  Shelby Forest was all right if you're passing though, but not epic enough to make a complete side trip.