Author Topic: 2011 Old Settlers B tier  (Read 3193 times)

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Old Settlers B tier
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2011, 07:03:20 PM »
I'm heading to St Louis this weekend for Kelli's Birthday. I won't be there... :-[
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

smitty

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2011, 08:51:41 PM »
Come on Tank! Skip it! Skip it! Skip it!

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2011, 10:28:14 AM »
More registrations are happening......

If you plan on showing up Saturday morning to register, remember the players meeting is at 9:00 and tee off is at 9:30. I'd strongly suggest you be there to sign up by 8:30. I think there will be plenty of spaces, but it's first come, first in.

spnachio

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2011, 10:12:40 PM »
jeff ozorkiewicz is in. my bag tag #277 will be up for grabs. ooooooooooolathe

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2011, 09:49:02 AM »
Registrations keep rolling in......

Although I said we were playing the first round set-up last Monday at league, Deano, Slant, and I moved a few last night to make it a little more interesting.

The park is freshly mowed, there are new wood chips down, it's Old Settlers Eve!

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2011, 10:30:08 AM »
It's gonna be a giggity good time!  8) :o 8)
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2011, 12:00:15 PM »
Tom:

Are you moving 16 long and 17 on the island for the 1st round?
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2011, 12:08:50 PM »
Yes Sir! They will be in those locations around 7:45 tomorrow morning.

The 16 temp pin is at 687', and the 17 temp pin is at 420'.  8)

coops

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2011, 03:09:32 PM »
Course looks really good... can't wait to play tomorrow.

Dale W

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2011, 07:07:59 PM »
A few notes from today-

1) Why do I put my name and phone number on discs?  SO IF I LOSE ONE, THE FINDER WILL CALL.  In my hurry during warm up for Rd 2 (had to head to hole 16 immediately), I forgot to take my disc (orange Vulcan with "Innova Disc" stamped on top) out of the tree it had landed in on hole 1.  This was approx 10 min before the start.  By the time my son got there (he started on 17), it was gone.  That means that only 2 cards (1 and 18) had gone through there and yet I have not received a call and when it was announced after I finished my round there was nothing but blank faces.

2) Why were there 94 players when the max was supposed to be 90?  This caused back ups of 10 (at least) min on every hole since the "ghost" card started on hole 17.  At one hole there were 3 or 4 cards waiting (not entirely the ghost card's fault as they were waiting also).  One suggestion, since this was a B tier tournament, would be to add a second day and a third round, split the field into 2 semi equal parts, and alternate when the two part are playing.  This format was used in the B tier I played in last weekend (my first PDGA tourney) with a large amount of success.  Another suggestion, although much more labor intensive, would be to play on a second course (one rd per course) with again semi-equal parts of the card.

3) Why was the CTP, ring of fire, and all other similar things done BEFORE ALL THE CARDS AND PLAYERS WERE IN?  Everything was over and done with before the last 4 cards (16, 17, 17 ghost and women) were turned in.  I won't even attempt to analyze this lack of planning, courtesy, and outright injustice.  One card (women) had some kind of "flip off" for something I heard.  Even if my card wasnt throwing for anything (although it was my understanding that each division was doing a CTP of some sort? ) it would have been nice to get the opportunity to watch.

As stated earlier, I am new to PDGA tourneys.  If my perception and expectations are unrealistic then I apologize.  The player pack and disc for Rec was the only positive I saw (very nice).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 11:07:34 PM by Dale W »
Sorry to hear about your luck!!!   :P

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2011, 08:46:54 PM »
I was unaware there was a CTP/RoF?

I must have left too soon after done playing. I had a rough day and had to get out of there lol

spnachio

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2011, 10:48:38 PM »
This was my first tourney and my only questions is: when can i sign up for next year?  I had a blast. Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the disc  dale but i left one in a basket with no name on it and it got turned into the dd rv. Hopefully youll get a call in the next couple days. players rec pack was worth more than my buy-in. I too was a late card and missed rof but oh well man.  Friggin choice day of disc for me.

Dale W

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2011, 11:16:20 PM »
This was my first tourney and my only questions is: when can i sign up for next year?  I had a blast. Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the disc  dale but i left one in a basket with no name on it and it got turned into the dd rv. Hopefully youll get a call in the next couple days. players rec pack was worth more than my buy-in. I too was a late card and missed rof but oh well man.  Friggin choice day of disc for me.

Thanks, spnachio... glad you got yours back.  The actual disc, although a nice, broken in one, can be replaced and isnt the main point - its the point of the matter that someone has that little honesty.  I agree on the player pack.

coops

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2011, 12:17:18 AM »
A few notes from today-

1) Why do I put my name and phone number on discs?  SO IF I LOSE ONE, THE FINDER WILL CALL.  In my hurry during warm up for Rd 2 (had to head to hole 16 immediately), I forgot to take my disc (orange Vulcan with "Innova Disc" stamped on top) out of the tree it had landed in on hole 1.  This was approx 10 min before the start.  By the time my son got there (he started on 17), it was gone.  That means that only 2 cards (1 and 18) had gone through there and yet I have not received a call and when it was announced after I finished my round there was nothing but blank faces.

2) Why were there 94 players when the max was supposed to be 90?  This caused back ups of 10 (at least) min on every hole since the "ghost" card started on hole 17.  At one hole there were 3 or 4 cards waiting (not entirely the ghost card's fault as they were waiting also).  One suggestion, since this was a B tier tournament, would be to add a second day and a third round, split the field into 2 semi equal parts, and alternate when the two part are playing.  This format was used in the B tier I played in last weekend (my first PDGA tourney) with a large amount of success.  Another suggestion, although much more labor intensive, would be to play on a second course (one rd per course) with again semi-equal parts of the card.

1) I had found your disc in the tree, and sat it on the ground so it could be easily found. I had presumed that it had come in while I was walking up to hole 1 and that the person it belonged to had would be along shortly. I am sorry that I did not call you, but I left it right on hole one. What happened with it after that I cannot say.

2) As far as I understand it the reason more players were allowed to play the tournament was because they were coming up from Emporia and would have registered earlier in the morning and realized half way up that they had somehow forgotten their discs. They went back and got them and got in shortly after the players meeting and it seemed foolish to not let them play, or cold-hearted maybe.

But, regardless, tournaments are slow affairs. It is just something you have to get used to.

Dale W

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2011, 01:31:16 AM »
TY Cooper for the response.  I can now safely assume that the kid on the bike that was just hanging around asking for discs picked it up as opposed to another player. 

As far as the additional players, I did not realize that.  I guess I am cold hearted because once the tourney was full, it was full.  If it had it been my son and I that were late/arrived after it was full I am certain we would have been put on a "wait list" or simply told we were too late.  If they were from Emporia, there was no reason they couldnt have pre registered if they knew they wanted to play.  Sounds like they have connections with someone.  Oh well.

I guess I will have to figure out how to keep my momentum/concentration in this situation going forward.  I do better when I am moving at a steady pace.  The tourney we entered in Cali was slower than normal play, but much faster than today.