Author Topic: Thoughts on the Grip Equipment disc golf bag  (Read 3622 times)

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
Thoughts on the Grip Equipment disc golf bag
« on: August 30, 2011, 09:51:18 AM »
Is this bag really worth $200.00?  My time on the waiting list has come and now I'm starting to second guess it's worth.  Thoughts?
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on the Grip Equipment disc golf bag
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 12:27:35 PM »
I have had a second run bag since the end of July, and really enjoy it.  It's a good size, allowing me to carry around 20 discs.  The bag rides really high on my back, which is something I've found from no other bags other than the Gorilla Boy Simian.  I haven't got a chance to use the rain cover yet.  The skids on the bottom are really going to save any wear and tear on the bag.  The construction issues with the first run bags seem to have been addressed; I have no fraying on it after a month of play, which was seen on the original bags.

I think it's tough to figure out if a bag is worth that much after 1 month, but so far, so good.

coops

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 02:36:49 PM »
Agree with Timko. I have only had my second run for a couple of weeks but they seem to have addressed the issues with the first run. After having the first run for over 6 months I was thoroughly impressed with the design and the large-scale improvement over most other bags. Allows you to carry a lot of discs and other gear very comfortably.

CRAMNATION7

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 05:12:09 PM »
i just payed for mine yesterday!
how long was the shipping since we live so close?
Jay Cram

NoSponsor

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 07:40:07 PM »
Just curious, did you have to pay for your second run or did the company just send you a new one.  If you had to buy both what is the total cost on this awesome bag
Sean Elliott

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 09:30:22 AM »
Anyone with a defective first run got a second run for free.

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 10:13:26 AM »
After much thought, I've determined that there ain't no disc golf bag worth $200.00.  :-)
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 12:30:44 PM »
smart man. for $200 it better sponsor you at the next 4 tourneys and make all your putts for you.
Maurice Richard Gleauzinier
Freelance Flight Tightener
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com
Please be quiet when people are throwing

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 10:42:38 AM »
IDK....if it really helps out in the rain, keeps your back feeling not beat up, and lasts for a event 5 years, how isn't worth it?

We can't all carry 4 discs, and a water for our dogs and be content..... :o

Its a price line that is high in our sport, but so was Revolution when they came out.  Now they seem to have not gone after the markets as much as they did in the past, but you still see a revolutino bag daily on the course, they were "excessive" in price initially, but have stood the test of time.

So if this bag fills the need, works well, and lasts long, why shouldn't it be  3x as much as some bags, 2x as much as those "elite" bags, and set the mark for the companies in the future.

I think about it this way.  We spend upwards of $100/pr on shoes for our sport, and we are lucky to date to find one that lasts 6 months (maybe some of you get 1 yr) so in the case of that, the wear and tear on shoes, the dropping and throwing and dragging a bag, are very similar in my mind, yet I hate getting a new bag every year like a pair of shoes.  My favorite bag to date is still one that they don't make the Dela Cruz that Rob Hapner did, LOVED it, but it only lasted like 18 months, before I had to go buy another gateway.....Bags are easier to fix than shoes though...
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 12:32:53 PM »
I think that you are correct :-[ in that though I think that I actually bought mine from Rob Hapner.....I was sad that it started to wear through relatively quickly though, I loved the bag itself quite a bit.  Kuzi was playing with his when I played with him at WW a couple of weeks back, I was sad, but didn't mention it..... :'(
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 02:22:40 PM »
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 02:35:48 PM »
with very little effort one can google up bags with similar enough design, materials, etc. at closeout prices.
 many of the name backpacks have lifetime guarantees; I have mountainsmith bags that have been returned for newer, beefier zips; totally user abused goods, fixed for free.

if all you do is disc golf, by all means buy a $200 bag meant only for disc golf.

if you're just a burnt out old cynic with an aging, washed out hound and you only need to carry 15 discs, a cell phone, a 3 liter camelbak, an ipod, garden seeds, hat, gloves, rules, pencils, minis, flashlight, leash, and trash bags, then you should feel free to buy nearly the same thing for $45 on ebay.
Maurice Richard Gleauzinier
Freelance Flight Tightener
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com
Please be quiet when people are throwing

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 02:40:21 PM »
my favorite disc carrying device was a 4 gallon platic pickle barrel some dude had on my card in columbia, double as a chair, humble as pie. personally i carry way too much stuff with a bag, but you gatta have highdration, spare discs these days, i love to onedisc it whenever practical.
espouse elucidation

savagesam

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 10:38:37 PM »
Celebrated my half century birthday last week with some good...no make that great friends. They all chipped in and purchased one of these for me. My bag prior to this one was a Revo with quad shocks. No comparison! This thing is much more comfortable! Very light weight for the size and still very comfortable with only one of the straps on your shoulder. I probably paid a combined $125-130 for my previous setup. So while $200 isn't cheap if you see someone with a Grip bag, try it on. The difference might surpise you. 
"ROC N ROLL"

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 06:24:50 PM »
I've played 3 rounds so far with my new bag and I absolutely love it. It rides higher on your back which helps distribute weight better and makes it a lot easier to carry +20 discs and all of your accessories. It looks like they got their sh1t together this time around.

Pros:
-Snap on rain cover
-Holds +20 discs
-Discs are easily accessible 
-Putter pocket holds 3 putters comfortably
-Quality materials used
-Heavy duty rails on the bottom
-Holds a 32oz Nalgene bottle on each side.
-Each side can hold a(n) umbrella or disc golf chair
-Sits perfect on a disc golf chair
-Made by a small local company
-Enough pockets to fit tons of accessories
-Aesthetically pleasing

Cons:
-Most notably the $200 price tag
-Lack of D-rings
-Limited color options (Some people find this important?)
-Pockets aren't the most "spacious"
-Only one size available currently
-If you want to carry a decent amount of extra clothes, you have to put it on top of the discs
-Doesn't make those long putts for you lol

All in all it is a quality product that gets the job done and more which absolutely justifies the steep price tag.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 06:58:54 PM by ian »