Author Topic: Strange round at Swope  (Read 1251 times)

jbachmeier

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
Strange round at Swope
« on: September 05, 2011, 02:59:33 PM »
Had a first happen at Swope today.  First off my buddy brad hits a moving car on 4 which, as it turns out was a bit of foreshadowing for what I pulled off.  After our round we thought we would play a little CTP on 3, which turned into a longest drive competition.  On my last tug I have a slight grip lock and send it right, over the road.  It proceeds to go in the driver side window of a parked car and out the passenger side window.  What makes this all the more amazing is the front seats were occupied, they saw it coming and ducked out of harms way.  I love disc golf!
John Bachmeier

KCFDGC#1296
PDGA#51514
Grip it and rip it!

Dale W

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Strange round at Swope
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 04:38:26 PM »
Wow...that's a story to tell at tourneys.  ;D
Sorry to hear about your luck!!!   :P

sirbronco

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 09:07:40 PM »
Nice...well played!  ;D
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

MedicineMan

• Am Poster
  • Master Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Jedis R Us
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 07:56:51 AM »
Swope's parking has issues.  I hate throwing 17.   I've made it into the back of a Yukon once, while some dude was detailing his "ride".  Let's just say I got lucky that the hatch was open.
KCFDC #1256
PDGA #47034

May the Force be with You.

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 08:31:39 AM »
A very similar thing happened at Rosedale once if i remeber correctly. The car was moving though, and the disc went right thru.

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 10:01:42 PM »
This one's always worth telling... (Yes, I'm back, but only for a moment...)

Chris "Scratch" Starkey absolutely LAUNCHED a Roc from near #12 short pin towards #18. A car was coming from the right and we all stared in amazement as the disc flew right behind the driver's head, with nary an inch to spare! It promptly SLAMMED in to the rear passenger door, on the inside. The driver locked 'em up, jumped out of the car to see no dent of any kind. He had NO idea...

He proceeded to drive to the back lot and "park". I wonder what the guy was thinking when lanky ol' Scratch came up to the "fella" and explained what had happened -- then asked for his disc back from the back seat of the car  :o
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36, 23, 32, 33, 57
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 10:15:34 PM »
Swope's parking has issues.  I hate throwing 17.   I've made it into the back of a Yukon once, while some dude was detailing his "ride".  Let's just say I got lucky that the hatch was open.

I always get nervous throwing on 4. If I hyzer out too much I'll be breaking someone's windshield.

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 09:45:22 AM »
Ah.....Chris "Scratch" Starkey.....whatever became of that guy?
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 10:49:45 AM »
Scratch was at the GBO this year. He's alive and well and still throwing. I forget where he said he was living now. Seems like it was Illinois or Indiana. I'm sure someone else can fill in the blanks.

I've told this story on here once or twice already I suspect....

I was on a card at Rosedale once when a guy threw off of 18 and shanked it into Mission Road right into the windshield of an oncoming pickup truck. It broke the windshield. The thrower walked away and ignored the guy in the truck when he stopped and asked who threw it. I pointed the guy out to him but I didn't know him. The guy in the truck just expressed frustration, got in his truck and left while saying "Damn, and I play this game too". Maybe that's why he didn't get more upset and pursue the thrower any further. He had probably had similar throws and wouldn't know what to do about it either. Just bad luck coming from a lousy throw. In retrospect the guy in the truck was actually pretty cool about it. That confirms he was actually a disc golfer.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

MedicineMan

• Am Poster
  • Master Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Jedis R Us
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 10:56:23 AM »
The guy in the truck just expressed frustration, got in his truck and left while saying "Damn, and I play this game too". Maybe that's why he didn't get more upset and pursue the thrower any further. He had probably had similar throws and wouldn't know what to do about it either. Just bad luck coming from a lousy throw.

A true disc golfer would've owned up to it, and out of courtesy offered to replace the windshield.  But as you said, in retrospect the guy in the truck was actually pretty cool about it.
KCFDC #1256
PDGA #47034

May the Force be with You.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 10:58:06 AM »
The guy in the truck just expressed frustration, got in his truck and left while saying "Damn, and I play this game too". Maybe that's why he didn't get more upset and pursue the thrower any further. He had probably had similar throws and wouldn't know what to do about it either. Just bad luck coming from a lousy throw.

A true disc golfer would've owned up to it, and out of courtesy offered to replace the windshield.  But as you said, in retrospect the guy in the truck was actually pretty cool about it.

Yeah, the guy that threw the disc is the one I wasn't too happy with. I didn't know him and never saw him again. Just some casual that screwed up and was too chicken to own up to it.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037

sirbronco

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 11:11:05 AM »
Kevin, I have heard similar stories coming off of #13 at Rosey.
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 11:22:30 AM »
this one time at band camp, petey cashen threw an ulitmate disc at kevin holy's car as he was driving away, it went in the driver's window, smacked the dash and fixed his radio!
Maurice Richard Gleauzinier
Freelance Flight Tightener
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com
Please be quiet when people are throwing

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 03:39:58 PM »
Man, I gotta start a thread on "Former KC Disc Golfers:  Where are they now?"  Kevin Holy, Mike Mannering, Laron, who else?
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 05:16:29 PM »
I hear from Mike Mannering once in a while. He's just busy with his business and Boy Scouts with his son. He still does an annual outing with his brother-in-law to Clyde's place down by Carthage where he sets up a temp course and has a little tournament with just the guys that show up. He always wins.

Kevin Holy is around, I see him on Facebook now and again.

Haven't seen or heard anything out of LaRon in quite a while.

Just got back in touch with Kevin Smith a while back on Facebook. He will likely be back around one of these days.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037