Author Topic: 9/8/11 Water Works Mini - Ace!!  (Read 2312 times)

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 9/8/11 Water Works Mini - Ace!!
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 11:41:13 AM »
It had nothing to do with Money!Do away with Pro 2

if its not about the money, do away with pro1. 
Drew D Neitzel

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 12:12:02 PM »
It has always been and will always be about the money.  But I am suggesting pro $5.00 with an optional $2 sidebet
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

coops

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 01:01:08 PM »
What about everyone in one division: $28 to payout, $1 to ace fund, and $1 to club with an optional $2 sidebet.

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 01:48:32 PM »
Ash wrote:
"I can see that there is a problem with the pro2 division. Which we all know is essentially just the division for am players to play for cash. But this brings up a good question, how come it is ok for people in age protected divisions to play for cash but not us ams? Because in all reality probably a majority of the old guys playing those age protected divisions are by no means pro players."

And I agree one hundred percent! I do not want funny money! I don't want to sell my merchandise for cash. I want cash!
Response from pro players: Well then move up! Why Masters players don't have to move up. They just need to age. Mind you, I have started playing open in leagues. Now, on the flip side, tourneys are looking worse than ever for AMs: trophy only?!

So, pro 2 brought me out to league all summer. Otherwise, I would not have gone to play for KC cash. Pro 2 offered better competition than AM as well. There are so many players that don't throw 1000 rated rounds week after week, but don't throw 900 rated rounds either.

Pros: Why would I donate just to play up, if I have no chance of winning? (just giving the opposing view.)

tedkeith

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2011, 08:25:04 PM »
But this brings up a good question, how come it is ok for people in age protected divisions to play for cash but not us ams? Because in all reality probably a majority of the old guys playing those age protected divisions are by no means pro players.

I resemble that remark. It really is a good point Ash. It probably should be one division or all playing for cash. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with it if Masters played for KC Kash too. Shooot, as often as I win I would just keep it and frame it.

GuinnessSmurf

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ryan Oldham, Composer
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 09:05:49 PM »
I'd be fine to play for a bounty of Ted's delicious cookies.       
Check out my detailed beer reviews: www.ryanoldham.com/beer
Now with well over 400 reviews!

Bill

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 07:54:51 AM »
But this brings up a good question, how come it is ok for people in age protected divisions to play for cash but not us ams? Because in all reality probably a majority of the old guys playing those age protected divisions are by no means pro players.

I resemble that remark. It really is a good point Ash. It probably should be one division or all playing for cash. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with it if Masters played for KC Kash too. Shooot, as often as I win I would just keep it and frame it.

They do that because they choose to play a pro div,Masters.You can also choose to play a pro div,Open.Ams do not get cash.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 01:01:39 PM »
In reality Mark Stiles , Pete Cashen , Ben Hansen , Mike Thomas , and others are Pro Masters who do play Pro Masters.  Other old guys have to just play against them.  And it usually is the same guys winning over an over.  We actually can offer an Am Masters division but we don't because those am masters would rather just play with pro masters.  The ams don't want to play for $2 extra bucks.  That was what caused this pro2 division to be created.   Before that change took place we never had a complaint from ams about the league structure. 
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 02:53:19 PM »
Dick:

"Before that change took place we never had a complaint from ams about the league structure."

Well, I can say that I never complained because I stopped playing league under that structure. Food for thought. This summer I played at least two leagues a week, giving two bucks a week to the club. As an Am, I would not go back to playing for KC Cash. I would play pro now, but six months ago, no way. What changed? I played alot this summer and got better.

I wonder how many come to league for the money? Competition? Or just camaraderie?

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 03:10:57 PM »
When Pro or Open was only $5 there was no complaint.  Until it went to $7.  But you are just one person who has been around for some time and became jaded to the KC Kash. What about new people.  What about growth. This structure does not promote growth.   
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 03:18:57 PM »
So basically all the ams want to play for $5 but they don't want Tank - Arturo - Bobby - Shannan and maybe 2 other people to play with them.  They should be separate.  I mean because these guys are at every league every week keeping it alive .  All I'm saying is that we go back to a $5 open division and we all are happy.  Unless the previous statement is true.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2011, 03:51:27 PM »
So basically all the ams want to play for $5 but they don't want Tank - Arturo - Bobby - Shannan and maybe 2 other people to play with them.  They should be separate.  I mean because these guys are at every league every week keeping it alive .  All I'm saying is that we go back to a $5 open division and we all are happy.  Unless the previous statement is true.

I'm cool with this personally. On a slightly different note however, I've read most of the arguments from everyone on here, and besides the paying a couple more dollars for the Open currently, it seems that the ones complaining the most are more interested in playing for, lets face it, the equivalent of two, maybe three Happy Meals at most for just about any given league night, sans one or two.  It just seems to me that no one is really interested in improving their game so much as making some "change" for the evening, when you DO get the opportunity to play against folks like a Tank - Arturo - Bobby, and so on.....seems to me you'd want to pick up a few pointers here and there, and try to work it into your game eventually, AND GET BETTER.  Seems like a pretty good deal for $5 bucks to me.....just my 2 cents......carry on   8) :o 8)

giggity...
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2011, 05:44:39 PM »
People seem to play league to have the opportunity to compete and possibly win something, whether it be real or funny money. If you want to learn or "get pointers" then maybe we should start, as a club to get some of these better local "pro's" to offer clinics or lesson's in a class setting?
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2011, 10:19:25 AM »
I guess I'm needing to "re-structure" my wording a bit.  Granted an occasional "clinic" would be a cool thing, and I believe there is one that happens, at least on occasion, on the Tues. night "beginners" league.  I wouldn't mind attending that at some point myself. 

After re-reading what I wrote previously, I don't think I worded that as well as I could have.  People, as a whole, want to compete for cash or funny money, myself included, and I get that.  I also feel that we need to "tweek" the league format to something we can all agree on, be happy, and have it structured in a way that there is continued growth.  With that said, what I was trying to say before, (and probably not very well...), is that I was noticing a lot of comments leading me to believe that there was much more concern over the fact of whether they would have a snow balls chance of ever winning, which is fine.  All I was meaning in my statement before is that, people just need to chill, and quit stressing over whether so-and-so is playing in such-and-such division.  Just compete and have fun!  H$ll....if I stressed about that with my game , I'd of had a stroke 8 months ago, and I'd have been buried with a red a$$ from all the whoopin's I've received....  ;)  :o  8)

I also meant no disrespect to anyone in the previous "message", and hope no offense was taken by it, as that was not my intent.  8) 

giggity.....
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

HaterAde

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2011, 10:58:17 AM »
I wonder how many come to league for the money? Competition? Or just camaraderie?

I go to league for the camaraderie only, and have never understood those who place importance on winning money or on "What's in it for me?"

Seriously, I don't know how broke or petty one would have to be to place such importance on the chump change that comes with winning league. Even if the same person won Open every day at every league, they wouldn't even be making a McDonald's paycheck.

That's why I don't mind KC Cash. I'm not expecting anything financially out of league anyway, so the KC Cash is a welcomed bonus as far as I'm concerned.