Author Topic: 9/8/11 Water Works Mini - Ace!!  (Read 2484 times)

coops

Re: 9/8/11 Water Works Mini - Ace!!
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2011, 11:47:21 AM »
I have an always will play Open in leagues primarily for the competition and people you get to play with.

That being said, keeping the division big allows for a couple things: larger payouts, more competition, and it forces those up-and-comers to decide if they want to face the crucible that is Open or be happy with the Am divisions.

And, in defense of those who are out to make a buck or two, it isn't always about the amount of money made but the ability to offset costs invoked from league attendance. Club dues, league buy-in, plastic purchases, and probably the biggest expense for a lot of people who have to drive 20-60 minutes to get to league, gas.

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2011, 12:11:13 PM »
don't forget shoes.  seems i go through at least 3 pairs a year.
Drew D Neitzel

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2011, 12:43:54 PM »
In reality Mark Stiles , Pete Cashen , Ben Hansen , Mike Thomas , and others are Pro Masters who do play Pro Masters.  Other old guys have to just play against them. 
actually all four of the guys mentioned usually play open at league. stiles especially makes a point to play against the best competition no matter whose card he plays on.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 12:45:56 PM by gleauzinier »
Maurice Richard Gleauzinier
Freelance Flight Tightener
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com
Please be quiet when people are throwing

HaterAde

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2011, 12:57:39 PM »

And, in defense of those who are out to make a buck or two, it isn't always about the amount of money made but the ability to offset costs invoked from league attendance. Club dues, league buy-in, plastic purchases, and probably the biggest expense for a lot of people who have to drive 20-60 minutes to get to league, gas.

As a disc golfer, unless you only play one course that you walk to, you're going to incur all those costs anyway, with the exception of the league buy-in. Is that small "offset" truly a deciding factor as to whether or not to come play league for $5-$7? If so, again, I say that's awfully petty.

coops

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
I'm not saying it is a deciding factor, but it can definitely be a contributing factor.

And, even if it isn't one person's reason for coming, it may be another's, which increases attendance and consequently competition.

Obviously if you only care about making money at leagues you would be ace-running everything, but people don't do that. Where is there anything wrong with making a little extra money at leagues, even if it is not enough to impress the affluent Keizer. For those of us who are supporting a habit and attempting to at least make it cost-neutral every little bit helps, especially in a sport that has so little real cost.

HaterAde

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2011, 02:14:20 PM »
Exactly, I'm content playing disc golf for funny money, then hopping into my luxury sled and driving home to my stately manor where I swim in a pool of gold coins like Scrooge McDuck. ;D

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2011, 05:21:07 PM »
maybe we should play for each others vehicles at leagues?
espouse elucidation

kidmills

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2011, 05:30:51 PM »
maybe we should play for each others vehicles at leagues?
who would want your jap-trap?

GuinnessSmurf

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ryan Oldham, Composer
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2011, 07:46:47 AM »
Exactly, I'm content playing disc golf for funny money, then hopping into my luxury sled and driving home to my stately manor where I swim in a pool of gold coins like Scrooge McDuck. ;D

HAHAHAhahaha...   I want to hang out at YOUR place!   I always wondered how he (Scrooge McDuck) was able to swim through those piles of gold coins.   I would think there would be a lot of resistance on the surface and bone crushing weight underneath.
Check out my detailed beer reviews: www.ryanoldham.com/beer
Now with well over 400 reviews!

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2011, 08:25:54 AM »
It probably should be one division or all playing for cash.

That is the best idea I've heard yet.

$4 basic entry for everyone +$1 for ace fund +$1 if non-member

Divisions:

Open (cash payout) - one division

Am divisions (KCKash payout) - same offerings as any tourney (Adv, Int. age protected, etc.)

Me likey as well!  Feelin' froggy?....jump on up!  Not so much.....all good as well........giggity!  8)
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2011, 08:38:23 AM »
See you all in Pro 2 tonight!! Cause really, I just want to "SAVE" the money.
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2011, 01:05:28 PM »
If thats the case I'm playin PrOpen :D

I hope Lil' Eklund shows up so I can hassle him for Ace Beer

Cya soon folks!
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

jamison99

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2011, 01:25:55 PM »
There are no defined boundaries for Pro1 and Pro2, no ratings cut off or any other restriction.  How can you blame someone for playing where the money is. You say it isn't about money, then why don't we all play for free and just enjoy each others company?  There is a competitive factor in us that wants to play for something and that just happens to be cash.  I participated in a league a week ago that everyone had decided to play open, and the 1st place payout would have been $63...I make a very decent living, but if I am able to go out, enjoy the weather, have solid competitiion from TanK, Cooper, Arturo, Bobby, Stiles, etc to help push my game, AND bring home appx $20-25 an hr, why not.  So yes, Open players play in the OPEN division when it makes most sense to them.  Where is that wrong?