Author Topic: 30th KCWO Think Tank  (Read 6157 times)

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 30th KCWO Think Tank
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2011, 10:37:44 PM »
Wow, Rick!  It's almost like you've run a tournament or two in your lifetime.  ;)
Drew D Neitzel

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2011, 10:07:50 AM »
Although not a favorite of the masses, shouldn't Shawnee Mission Park be included in this historic event, since the first KCWO was played there?

Loomis

« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2011, 09:28:07 AM »
Another wonderful option, though not popular with some, is the idea of putting in a temp course at SM park. I'm not sure about the details, but their is enough land there for an extremely tough course. I like the idea of the original WIDE OPEN coming back to SM Park. I doubt it will make the cut when the course roster is made, but it has my vote.

spinachio

• Pro Poster
  • Jeff Ozorkiewicz
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2011, 11:59:42 AM »
what about a lifetime membership to kcdgc. not sure how much $$ it should be. some to club some to wide open.  also maybe an early tshirt to spread the word
PDGA# 51376

NoSponsor

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2011, 10:27:28 AM »
How about a long distance contest with putters
Sean Elliott

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2011, 10:02:24 PM »
Lets get this thread going again. This tournament is just around the corner.

With the 30th Wide Open fast approaching, I summarized some the relevant previous posts to possibly elicit some more feedback for the TDs/Planning Committee. My thoughts and opinions are pretty obvious as well.

Pro Side - NT event

Pro players seem to be treated well historically speaking from the posts here. From reading here, KC has traditionally had a deeper pay out on the pro side, and as one pro player said the KCWO is a great event to see friends they havent seen a while. If anything, from posts on the board, getting more pro players to sign up earlier would attract more players in all divisions earlier than later.

Am Side - A  and B Tier event

Wow this is where there was a lot said, so

Players packs came up again and again. Kind of a split opinion on whether having a great players pack with name brand discs and quality schwag or a smaller players pack with a voucher to an on-site vendor.

Competition came up a few times as well as a result of the trophy only discussion. As it is now Ams playing in the A tier will play for merchandise. A positive I would guess from what I have read and heard.

Courses were pretty important for Am players as well. Traditionally, pro players have played all the premier courses for KCWO, Swope Gold, BV, or Waterworks long, etc. Course selection is key to Ams playing as well.

The option to go watch a pro final nine was encouraged.

Other concerns included the having PDGA tournament sight updated regularly and having clear lines of communication for out of town players. Id love to see the club try to get more places to sleep for out of town Ams. Having food available between rounds or having a meal is something I have heard as well. People, like me, are also concerned about paying to be a PDGA member just to play a couple tourneys a year.  Clearly it is a personal choice, but it makes the WO cost 50 more, and for what?

Personally, Id like to see many more KC club members play the KCWO and represent. Vary rarely have I been carded with local players for the WO. Id also like to see the Ams play great courses i.e. WW long, Swope Gold, Cliff, or Rosedale long. Itd be great if there could be food on the course when players have two rounds. It would make travel so much easier, especially for out of towners.
I hope this elicits some response, even of you think I am way off the mark and full of it.  :)

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2011, 10:14:49 PM »
Other concerns included the having PDGA tournament sight updated regularly and having clear lines of communication for out of town players. Id love to see the club try to get more places to sleep for out of town Ams. Having food available between rounds or having a meal is something I have heard as well. People, like me, are also concerned about paying to be a PDGA member just to play a couple tourneys a year.  Clearly it is a personal choice, but it makes the WO cost 50 more, and for what?

although i personally choose to support the pdga, i understand the many reasons why some local ams don't.  i don't recall seeing an NT event paired with a B tier but i dont see why it couldn't be done.  then the locals who don't want to join can play for 10 extra bucks instead of 50.  this may increase the am turnout and in turn help the fund the pro side.  kudos to the new board for this brainstorm.
Drew D Neitzel

Dale W

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2011, 12:59:43 AM »
At the Sun Valley Open in San Diego last summer, instead of WATCHING the final 9, they paired the top 4 pro finishers with another player (chosen by raffle ticket) for alternating shot skins play ($1000 total/$200 per hole - this could easily be adjusted/modified).  They more than made the skins $$$ from the raffle tickets they sold (three "ticket baggers" bought $200 each....more power to them I guess...lol)  As much fun as it is watching pros play, it is even more intense watching a 16 year old player attempt a 20-25 ft putt with 2 skins on the line (he missed) and then later have the same situation in sudden death and make it for the final skin.  Or watch Steve Rico park a 400+ ft drive (with 60'+ elevation change up hill, a mando right and OB left) 27' from the basket just to have his partner (another pro actually) miss the putt for 3 skins.  I dont think any of the spectators or AMs left until this was over.  All of this took place before the awards ceremony and before they held the "merchandise" raffle (similar to the EDGE raffles many of the tourneys here have).  Just another option.
Sorry to hear about your luck!!!   :P

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2011, 01:37:45 AM »
The WO this year will be my first A-Tier, and the first where I'll be playing in the same field as many top pros. Even though I'm an Am, it's still an allure to be playing in the same Tournament as those guys. So I don't have much input, simply because I don't have much to go off of. Especially in terms of players packs and the trophy-only discussion.

I do have a couple things, though, mainly about the play itself. As someone who plays the courses around here a lot, for a big tournament (where I'd likely be carded with players from out of town) I think it would be cool to play the elite courses (Waterworks, Swope Gold, etc) to get to be part of showing off what we really have to offer. Besides that, playing Swope Gold would be awesome in the first place.

Obviously I would want to be able to watch the Pro Final Round as well, but I don't see that being an issue (it wasn't in the past, was it?).

NoSponsor

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2011, 08:31:32 AM »
I personally would rather have a players pack instead of merchandise at the end of the tournament.  In my opinion No Am tournament is supposed to be set up to have a few guys drive off with a trunk full of plastic.  I thought as an am you play to get the experience of competition,  enhance your game, and try to move up. 

With a players pack, lunch at the course, plenty of water, our world class courses.  I don't think there is a bad option on whatever the board decides.

Blue Valley is the best for the final round, just no band during play.
Sean Elliott

Bill the TD

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2011, 08:32:39 AM »
I agree with what Drew voiced.  I would pay a 10 dollar fee to play in the Wide Open.  50 is just too much I am not going to get enough out of it to justify fee.

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2011, 09:11:41 AM »
180 days until the 30th KCWO - May 29, 2012
espouse elucidation

Loomis

« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2011, 06:38:57 PM »
It wouldn't be right if I didn't say something.

Please. I beg you. Swope Gold. Rosie Gold. WW Gold. Cliff or BLue Valley. Make it hard. When you're comfortable with the course, make it harder.

Tee shirts and free discs are nice for REC and INT players and collectors. Don't stress out on it.

Pay out just needs to be decent, not excessive (unless you can afford to be excessive).

Entertain. Put ON... A... SHOW!!! Sports are just as much entertainment as they are about competition. Don't forget to think about that please.

I'm playing PRO this year, so I won't lobby one way or the other for anything.

You have absolutely everything you need to make the best tournament of the year. Don't be shy, use it all.

You have my support. I will be out picking up trash, clearing leaves and limbs, painting rings, stringing OB lines, and if I have to, kissing some ass to get attention.

I'm excited for this.

HaterAde

« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2011, 08:25:40 PM »
Is Cliff Drive being used? I'm sure we can find ways to tighten the screws there, at least so nobody shoots 9 down with a double bogey on #1... ;D

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2011, 06:48:06 AM »
for pete's sake Keizer, you need to get over your Orum man crush.