Author Topic: Bluebird Series State Championships  (Read 1352 times)

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
Bluebird Series State Championships
« on: September 20, 2011, 02:08:49 PM »
just starting a thread, as Caleb Walker, Jake Bowen, and Jamie Barry are repping the open division in this tournament to crown a state champion on oct 8, in Marshall, Mo.
espouse elucidation

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Bluebird Series State Championships
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 07:39:40 PM »
wake me up when the smell of farts are non exsistant...

oops, wrong thread
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 09:12:26 PM »
George Smith is 2011 Missouri State Open Champion. the course is awesome, it's two eighteen hole courses with varied elevation, lots of woods, and a good amount of water ob that does not claim your plastic. the 36 holes also has the original 18 built into the design, so if you want a 54 layout it's there, it's an ingenious design really. the bluebird series was designed to showcase our game statewide, and i expect next year will be even better. a lot of "disappointed" pros, because this series is not about money - it's about our parks, our game, and our people. i really enjoyed the series, and hope we get more players on board for 2012. i didn't stick around for all the results but i did miss first place by four strokes, and defended second by one over francis albanese. marshall has leagues on mondays at 5:00 pm, well worth a visit, but only if you like super cool disc golf courses and have the stamina to play hard.
espouse elucidation

Dale W

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 10:21:44 PM »
These are two great courses. Find a way to get out there and play them. Both courses have everything to test your course management skills. But if you don't like playing "in the woods" or blind drives, don't bother.

Obvously, we must have played different courses.  The south course is definately not what i would call an awesome course.  Impossible or horrendous would be more my description.  Even with a map, it is difficult to navigate the course.  When you have walked further than you just played you get to play another impossible hole, making me question the logic of the designer.  More trees than any course I've ever seen - imagine Blackthorn in Smithville, Down under, or the first several holes at Cliff  - BEFORE ANY trees were taken out.  There IS no hole management on alot of the holes....its throw and pray you get through a few of the trees, then throw and pray again.  Not all holes were like that...but most of the other ones are blind (down hill, up hill, a turn blocked by trees, or a combination of the above).  Fortunately, I spared myself the agony of the north course (although I did hear it was better than the south one) by shooting so horribly in the first round. 
Sorry to hear about your luck!!!   :P

CRAMNATION7

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 06:44:20 AM »
sounds like you need some practice in the woods. me and my friends never had a problem with those wooded holes.

i really liked the courses but after i heard how much i heard people spent on just 3 rounds and gas and food, to not have anything to get, even a trophy, made me upset with the parks and rec.

for adv.
$15 overall
$15 for each round x 4= $60
gas to get to rounds ??? depends on car and location

doesn't look like im ever going to do this tournament
Jay Cram

WrongfulLeaf

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 06:39:34 PM »
I didn't really have a problem with either course but I did do worse on the South course. I shot a 117 and tied a guy named Joe (I think from Columbia) for first in INT and won with a birdie on the long hole by the shelter house. They said that they were going to run it differently next year so I presume they will have payouts next year since so many people were upset.....but you gotta remember this was their first "state tournament". They said that there would be some growing pains and they plan on doing it differently next year. I had a blast playing on the courses in Marshall (never would of thought to play there) and it was interesting to see such a wide range of players from all over the state. There may not have been any payouts but the trophies for Open, Advanced and Intermediate were pretty sweet  8)

acemaster

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 07:34:18 PM »
sounds like you need some practice in the woods. me and my friends never had a problem with those wooded holes.

i really liked the courses but after i heard how much i heard people spent on just 3 rounds and gas and food, to not have anything to get, even a trophy, made me upset with the parks and rec.

for adv.
$15 overall
$15 for each round x 4= $60
gas to get to rounds ??? depends on car and location

doesn't look like im ever going to do this tournament

having practice in the woods does not help in the south course.

i find the south course unnecessarly long after playing it i felt like i did 36 holes. this is mainly due to the fact that the walk to the tee-pads were the lentgh of the holes and sometimes (like hole 18 going to 1) more then the lentgh of the hole .

five2loves42

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 04:43:46 PM »
These are two great courses. Find a way to get out there and play them. Both courses have everything to test your course management skills. But if you don't like playing "in the woods" or blind drives, don't bother.

There IS no hole management on alot of the holes....its throw and pray you get through a few of the trees, then throw and pray again. 

There is really only one hole that is throw and pray (I believe it is #13 - south). Most every other hole has a line or two, you just have to hit the line.

You did not have to play all four events to make the regionals, it just helped you insure you would get to try for the top three and make it to the state round.

I just played Joplin 4SO and it cost me $55 three rounds. I played four in the Bluebird for $75 and I had funny money in 3/4 rounds so I got "something" back (even though the plastic choices sucked after it was picked over, they need to fix that).

Like Jamie said, this was to showcase our sport and our courses. If you were in it for the $$$ it was not coming.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 04:46:38 PM by five2loves42 »
Even a bad day on the disc-golf course beats ANY day at work! -
Tom V.

Dale W

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 11:47:21 PM »
You did not have to play all four events to make the regionals, it just helped you insure you would get to try for the top three and make it to the state round.

I just played Joplin 4SO and it cost me $55 three rounds. I played four in the Bluebird for $75 and I had funny money in 3/4 rounds so I got "something" back (even though the plastic choices sucked after it was picked over, they need to fix that).

I agree with this part completely.  I got something in all three I played in (including regionals), but by the regionals there was nothing I saw worth getting (altough I wasnt familiar with all that was left). 
Sorry to hear about your luck!!!   :P

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 12:00:45 AM »
I liked the land, and enjoyed the parks.....I am different though, I enjoy the fact that we can complain about the fact we get to throw in the woods.....

Maybe I really am one of the few that stop their car just to throw a disc to a point imagined and figure it out......

We shall see of this Blue bird thing....

lets be grateful that we have a strong community that presents how they feel, to define all types of players!  Afterall, the posts in here show that a variety of players that have been in KC, and call KC home enjoy talking about the sport, and that helps for certain!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 11:20:35 PM »
Some institutional history:

This the first Bluebird Missouri State Championship.

It is NOT the first Missouri State Disc Golf Championship. although it is probably the first Missouri State Disc Golf Championship in 25 years or so. The Missouri State Disc Golf Championships were held in either Columbia or St. Louis for a couple of years (and one year, they played it in BOTH Columbia and St. Louis).

Rick also ran a Missouri State Flying Disc Championships one year (1991?) in Kansas City at Swope. This was an overall event, including distance, MTA, and probably DDC, accuracy, and discathon. You'd have to ask Rick on the timing of the event...I know I wasn't able to make it that year.

However, kudos to MPRA for bringing the State Championships back after a long absence.

Chap
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:24:06 PM by John Chapman »
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

matty

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 03:18:55 AM »
i stopped by the young park bluebird qualifier, there was only like 15 ppl-tough to afford prizes with minimal entries.

i think marshall is pretty solid, the huge downhill wrap around - super fun, especially with a sidearm roller. also the downhill creek shot with the rock stair bank-that's a signature hole.

dale w, there's no prayer necessary for disc golf. it's science man. how did you manage to go about your life after having played such a terrible course? way to dust yourself off.

super tired of the pissing and moaning about peoples hardwork. sorry there's 2 more courses to play in missouri for free.

what? what's that?..shut up   and throw
putt, putt, give.