Author Topic: Kansas City Flying Disc Club Championships - Oct. 15-16, 2011  (Read 13674 times)

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
Re: Kansas City Flying Disc Club Championships - Oct. 15-16, 2011
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 01:33:56 PM »
do you need to be a paid 2012 member to get a 2012 tag?
espouse elucidation                                               Be excellent to each other

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Awesome at things. Many, mini things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 01:39:31 PM »
You will need to be current to prepay for your tag. Though you should re-up your membership through 2012 if you intend to buy a tag.   Though you bring up a good loophole in which now I will need to close.  Everyone thank Jamie.
Dick Parker
• 2014-16 Kansas City Wide Open Tournament Director
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 07:33:30 PM »
Its a 2 dayer, really????

Club championships have always been two days here, and for good reason. It determines the champion of the club, so it should be more rigorous.

Usually, we've played one round at each course. For this event, I think that's good. I'm normally a proponent of getting a second chance at playing a course, but in this tournament everyone should know the courses fairly well. I think the course selection sounds good. I was going to recommend that Young be one of the courses, if anyone asked. Otherwise, I think the choices are ok. Only one of the big 3 is used (Rosey, not WW or Swope), and Wyco is a good call also, as who knows how long that course will still be around.  3 newer courses with 1 of the old standbys, and a good mix of tighter and more open.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

LKillian

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 05:03:47 PM »
Painted ob = weak
Cooter was here.

coops

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 09:19:42 PM »
Painted ob = weak

There are many reasons that isn't true, not the least of which is that we don't have the money to reshape our land entirely like ball golf designers do. How is a painted line any different than the road or sidewalk which we all intuitively believe is O.B.?

bensdadfred

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 09:40:42 PM »
I love painted OB! And this is coming from someone who has carded a 12 due to painted OB at WYCO. You go Dick Parker! Keep on keepin on!! ;D
2 Things: Don't sweat the small stuff & everything is small stuff!

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 06:56:28 AM »
Painted ob = weak

There are many reasons that isn't true, not the least of which is that we don't have the money to reshape our land entirely like ball golf designers do. How is a painted line any different than the road or sidewalk which we all intuitively believe is O.B.?

The painted lines are different because a sidewalk or road is pretty much a permanent feature. The sidewalks and roads aren't payed for with $ from the club treasury, and don't require club volunteer time that could perhaps be used doing something more significant to improve the course, such as poison ivy erradication or landscaping.

That being said, I do think the funny little lines painted on the ground do add some interest to somewhat boring holes.

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • Flock Kaw Chalka
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 07:23:55 AM »
After the Ram'N'Salmon....I'm a big fan of paint.....you can have a whole new course design in under an hour!! HA!
DaBirdFatha
Bird > Word
Flockers Unite

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 10:38:42 AM »
Painted ob = weak

The painted lines are different because a sidewalk or road is pretty much a permanent feature. The sidewalks and roads aren't payed for with $ from the club treasury, and don't require club volunteer time that could perhaps be used doing something more significant to improve the course, such as poison ivy erradication or landscaping.

That being said, I do think the funny little lines painted on the ground do add some interest to somewhat boring holes.

Well said Tom.  Painted lines are like Mando's.  They show poor course design and emphasize how weak a course really is.  I think Wyco and PC are good courses without the lines and don't need them to be interesting.  I also think they make the sport look gimmicky like a putt putt green at a pga event.  And here's Phil Mickelson with a 20 footer for the win.  He only has to miss the blades of the windmill and squeeze between those two rocks.  If he ricochets it off the back wall, I think he can make it.  Hard to take a sport like that seriously.
Drew D Neitzel

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2011, 10:55:02 AM »
Well, I don't agree and at least 2 of the 72 holes you will play will have them.  The other 70 holes will have windmills, roller ramps, and at least one peace sign. 

I hope everyone comes out to play.   There may just be a best costume contest too.
Dick Parker
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2011, 12:17:34 PM »
I love painted OB! And this is coming from someone who has carded a 12 due to painted OB at WYCO. You go Dick Parker! Keep on keepin on!! ;D

Lets go, were all streaking towards the quad! Everyone is doing it!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

LKillian

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2011, 03:15:13 PM »
Ok, ok, ok, the ob may have made those holes a little more interesting.

BUT, Felt like the split fairway was super weak. Island green was fun even though i've never hit it, just seemed like the split fairway took away an opportunity for someone to be aggresive, since the second one wasn't reachable. Stiff headwinds i think at the time. Just one sandbaggers opinion. It won't matter, when the round starts i'm just gonna go ahead and draw 2 circles over my box on the scorecard for 13. Last 3 rounds on that hole with painted ob, 6 circles = super weak.
Cooter was here.

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2011, 03:23:32 PM »
Last 3 rounds on that hole with painted ob, 6 circles = super weak.

Sounds like your super weak
Dick Parker
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2011, 05:08:09 PM »
Best carved pumpkin contest???
Steven Disc Glover

bensdadfred

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2011, 05:29:40 PM »
Do what you want Dick! And thank you for stepping up! Paint it all up...and I'll do my best to make a decent shot and not whine but if I do, it will be because I didn't execute, not because you made the course challenging. ;D
2 Things: Don't sweat the small stuff & everything is small stuff!