Author Topic: New things to see at USDGC  (Read 1139 times)

Loomis

New things to see at USDGC
« on: September 30, 2011, 10:56:56 PM »
I met "Jim" at Swope on Wednesday. He's a good guy. He walked me through the course and told me all about the trees that were there, and the trees that were now gone. "Blight and Dutch Elm are killing off this course." Trees die, and this alters our sport in a way that no other single event can. Its watching the slow death of a close friend. Jim knows that and I see that now too.

And so does Winthrop Gold. Death has come to the grandest course in the land.

Hole One: once a narrow tunnel shot with thick trees to the left and right, has lost two major trees, making it too wide open to be considered USDGC tough. So they planted two new trees just off the tee pad. Tight, bushy trees which are going to be trouble some day. The shot is now only six feet wide. No relief for the inaccurate.

Hole Two: a major oak on the left side of the fairway, which kept rollers from getting down late, thus keeping most drives to just under the 330 feet mark, is now gone. You can reach the parking lot now. Which, with one lucky monster putt, could be an amazing eagle 2.

Hole Six: I guess the thinking with the course was "once everyone figures out how to play a hole, it's time to plant a tree." No more spike hyzers going at the beach. Now it's go straight at it under the trees, or throw an over-stable anny shot and hope it flexs back. The new tree is ten feet off the pad to the right. NO hyzers... No sir.

Hole Eight: This is the saddest news to report. It was a maze of trees that "plinko'ed" almost every disc to an early fate. Before, it was go left, and try to luck out; or go right and try to hyzer in. The trees were everywhere. Hard, hard hole to play. Over ten trees fell this year. Gone. Its now a simple shot straight at the basket. Or a slow roller. And the major guardian tree that masked the entrance to the basket, is gone too.

Hole sixteen: It lines hole eight to the right. It is a long down hill anny shot with a maze of trees to the right... It used to be. The lane straight at the basket is wide open. Expect to see more people take this route... safely.

Hole seventeen: in an effort to discourage thumbers, there is a net just in front of the teepad, which is hard to see and will catch every shot. They might as well put a mando up and just skip the netting.

Hole eighteen: trees are thinned out or gone. You can drive up to the top of the hill rather easily and then upshot with relative ease to the basket.

What is harder this year is the OB settings and the way they will punish those who find the OB. The lines are narrower on 3 - smaller landing area, 8 - less room to the right, new OB to the left in the landing area, 9 - less room near the basket, 10 - smaller landing area around the basket, 11 - only near the basket, it's actually more open now to the right "first shot" landing, 14 - almost an island shot now, you cannot miss the landing area... 450 feet away, 16 - left line moved in closer, 17 - the hay bales are closer to the basket and it "indents" towards the basket just in front of it, making a smaller landing area near the basket, 18 - a mando tree and the landing area near the basket is smaller. And the line to the right has moved in. If you find OB on ANY SHOT, you will now LOSE a shot and the distance, which means you have to re-throw from your last position, plus a stroke. You can't take it from where "it was last inbounds" So you it's possible to go OB again... and again...

The Trip:

It's 50 degrees here. Winds are picking up and my nerves are shot. I lost two discs on one hole; so now I'm walking around with a bag of (semi) PRO destroyers and a beat up Star Wraith to challenge one of the toughest courses in the world. The winds are going to be in excess of 25 MPH on Saturday. Super chilly. And I have the misfortune (or good fortune, depending on how you look at it) of teeing off late in the day. Second to last. 1:40 PM. Essentially... second card. But this course is famous for backups. Backups that can last for... an hour. And that's with PROS playing the course. And hey, we're all (cough-cough) AMS here! And with the new OB rule, it's gonna be a while. That's right... The BUNCR rule is dead.

I was hoping for a sweet disc at the player's meeting to cover my losses - - 167 Pro Vulcan. But it's a fresh one, so... it's not AS flippy as say - one that's hit a tree. They also gave me a mini; I bet it's more stable than the Vulcan.

I ran into Cam Todd. I say that like I have run into him before, but I've never met him. He said the course beat him up. The course beat me up too, so I felt like I was on the right track. Then we just walked away from each other. It's embarrassing to come here and think you're gonna do well and then suck it up. It's not something you want to share, or ask someone to autograph for you.

I am happy to report that I shot a three on holes 1, 4, 6, 8, 9, 11, 12, 14, 15, 18. And that I shot a 4 on the famous 888. I also had a shot at a 100 foot "3" but it wasn't to be. Cam Todd could have made it. But he left. I also shot a nine on 5(two in the lake) and a six on 2(bad, bad roller). But they were all washed away by the other decent holes. I two'd 3, 7, 10, 16 and 17. So I shot pretty well. Which is a 59. Or... 9 down. That's right, I killed it (with a left handed partner).

Keep the faith brothers! I shall let you know what I know when I know it.

LOOMIS

HaterAde

Re: New things to see at USDGC
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 10:10:01 AM »
Just woke up, and what a nice post to read this morning with my coffee.

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 05:01:38 PM »
Wonder why Cam Todd and Ken Climo were DNF?
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

Loomis

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 06:14:09 PM »
Cam said his foot was infected. Ken said his elbow hurt. Phil Arthur said he was too tired. Jussi said his back hurt.

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 07:43:23 PM »
Cam said his foot was infected. Ken said his elbow hurt. Phil Arthur said he was too tired. Jussi said his back hurt.

I couldn't go cause my dixie wrecked
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...