Author Topic: Another local...err....transplanted local in USDGC  (Read 684 times)

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Another local...err....transplanted local in USDGC
« on: October 04, 2011, 09:43:06 AM »
Just read on the USDGC site where ex-local Brett Burgess tore it up pretty good yesterday to get in the USDGC.....giggity!  8)
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Another local...err....transplanted local in USDGC
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 02:36:59 PM »
Speaking of the USDGC, looks like the majority of top rated pros are opting for the Shelley Sharpe Memorial in Scottsdale, AZ instead.
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 03:19:19 PM »
Right. Why would they want to play in a handicapped tourney?  ::)

Loomis

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 06:49:03 PM »
Tom,
It's not "why would they want to play a handicapped tournament" but rather, "why would they want to play a trophy only tournament." 

Loomis

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 10:36:42 AM »
You're right, it's not all about the money, but it does take the edge off knowing there is some money involved. No one expects to get rich, but they do like to pay for gas and food while they throw their life away. And "The 2011 USDGC champion" looks good on a resume for what? If you're doing it just for the title that is also playing disc golf for the wrong reason. Disc golf is just as much a trip to Disneyland as it is a devotion to a church - you want the thrills and the awe that come with each new discovery, but you also expect that your faith will be rewarded in the end.

Obviously this particular title doesn't mean that much if most of the ranking PRO field in disc golf stayed away this year. If they continue with this format, this tournament will suffer. Are you going to watch the internet coverage? Are you interested in watching a 900 rated player shot a 94 on Winthrop Gold? Do you think sponsors want to sink money into an event like that?

To be fair, I am going to watch it. I have friends in the tournament and I want to see them do their best. And they aren't there for the money or to pad their resume - they just want to play the course.

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 11:53:52 AM »
It's my understanding that it will be a handicapped tournament during odd numbered years and return to it's original format during even numbered years.
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 01:25:34 PM »
And "The 2011 USDGC champion" looks good on a resume for what?
particularly when that player is improving. 

I can relate to this....giggity  8)
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

coops

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 02:19:23 PM »
And "The 2011 USDGC champion" looks good on a resume for what?
I don't know how the handicapping system for this is set up. Does it take into consideration the players rating "acceleration."   

No it doesn't, it is strictly based on your current rating.