Author Topic: Is my Putter too heavy?  (Read 3740 times)

bagger

Is my Putter too heavy?
« on: April 03, 2006, 03:11:52 PM »
I've been playing about five years and currently putt with a KC Aviar (175).  It tends to flutter when I throw it and other discs in my bag with a lesser weight don't seem to have this problem when putting?  I like the stiffness of the KC or traditional Aviar. I putted with a JK aviar for a long time and found I preferred a stiffer disc.  What do you guys recommend?  A lighter KC? Perhaps give the Challenger a try?  
See you at the Mighty-MO

Thanks,
Bagger

Flip

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Is my Putter too heavy?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 03:47:10 PM »
The flutter has more to do with your technique than with the weight(or brand) of the disc.  When I go out to practice putting my first several putts will flutter, but as I warm up the flutter goes away.  I have found that heavier discs are more forgiving of poor technique and tend to flutter less.

Try practicing with 3 putters of the same mold and weight, keep putting until they smooth out.  Work on a smooth release with a bit of follow through to your motion.  Rinse and repeat.

A top putter can get the job done with anything you put in his/her hand- there is no magic disc :wink:

-Sean

bagger

Is my Putter too heavy?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 04:22:55 PM »
Flip, I agree, I just need to invest in the same putter.  Another question, you referred to my technique, I always tend to miss the right, any thoughts on that?

Bag

Flip

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Is my Putter too heavy?
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 05:02:29 PM »
Without seeing your motion it is tough to say.  If you are consistently missing right you could change your stance, moving the foot opposite your throwing arm back a bit.  I have to do that when I stradle putt to keep my motion on line.  

An effective putting stroke will have a vertical, linear motion with the hand starting low and releasing at a point above(visualize painting the pole). A common problem is players trying 'throw' their putt, flicking the wrist to generate spin. This keeps the motion on a horizontal plane and leads to misses left and right.  You should be able to generate all the power you need with your motion, without having to resort to 'flying' the disc with spin.  This is why you see players use the jump putt; it allows them to keep their basic stroke intact, and generate the extra distance with the legs not the wrist.

You'll know you are on the right track when you find yourself missing high or low, but rarely left or right.

-Sean

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Is my Putter too heavy?
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 08:25:46 PM »
The motion of the putt should come from the center of your body and finish outward from the middle as well.  If you swing your arm in any way like a driving motion, putts often will miss to the right.

To reduce this I...

1) Start my putt from the middle of the body.
2)  Move my off hand foot back.
3)  Put some hyzer angle of the disc.
4)  Aim at the left side a little.
5)  Give the disc not too much spin, but definitely some.  Putts will drop more with putts w/ very little spin and rise with more spin, so aim accordingly.
4)  Aim at the left side a little.

tjringer

footing
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 07:58:40 AM »
Footing is important for putting as well.  Especially when you experience adverse conditions and are forced to put from stances you rarely use!  Practice a wide variety of putting stances and putting styles.

Soup

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Check out my Youtube channel for disc golf vids
Re: Is my Putter too heavy?
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 07:03:40 PM »
Putters to me are like carrying a lucky coin in your pocket and/or having a routine put. When it all comes down, it has all to do with how you feel physically and mentally when you let the disc go. The technology is far from helping you in the beginning stages. Talk to people around the practice basket and watch other people. You will find that it's not the disc. Flip is absolutely correct.

Psychoholic

• Pro Poster
  • Beer snob
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 07:53:48 AM »
Schoen-hopper ok so how far out do you not putt 10'-15'-30'?

I say for me about 20-25' i'll take my putt to the side and correct it a little for the righthanding
maybe aim about 2 foot or so to the left of the basket.

I just wonder if thats to close to go with that or go for the putt ...
Home #: 816-308-1000
E-mail: tkienzle22@yahoo.com KCFDC:759
TEK II        :^)

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 03:37:53 PM »
I didn't really understand your post.

I tend to shank short putts to the right.  I can compensate a little by aiming at the left side.  For longer putts outside 30', its better to actually aim to the right to allow the disc to hyzer  just a bit at the end.

Psychoholic

• Pro Poster
  • Beer snob
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 02:23:37 PM »
Sorry that last post was wrote when i was very very sleepy hee hee...  Looking back i might have been smoking too hee hee... And there might have been beer involved....
Home #: 816-308-1000
E-mail: tkienzle22@yahoo.com KCFDC:759
TEK II        :^)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 02:09:19 AM »
thats alright.....mike should come play KC with me and Rick this year.....
:P
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 01:06:04 PM »
Missing 10-15' putts? Relax. Even a "short" shot needs a complete, smooth stroke. Don't let up just because it's not a 50-footer!

Step back about 2 steps (not full strides) and to the right just a little. Walk into the stroke, but do not step past to avoid the falling putt, as you transfer your momentum into the throwing motion, through to the disc. I don't want to "flick" the disc - open your hand fully - if you are musically inclined think "B Flat"! Pick a link and pitch it straight in  8)

Longer putts outside 20+ you will not want to run so hard. Practice your regular stance, but don't rock your hips too much as you flow through the shot, or try a facing putt with an open stance, or a combination of the two. Aim to the right about a foot or less with a little hyzer, depending on the wind, maybe even higher than the chainset, and let the disc "finish" in the hole. Summed up like a fine wine... "With a smooth and graceful finish"  :D  If you have too much hyzer, tip the nose up a bit to slow down the flight.

At any distance, if I feel the disc isn't coming out smooth I tell myself to quit "stabbing" at it and to let it go in!!   ;D
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

Leo D.

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 02:01:27 PM »
I tell myself to quit "stabbing" at it and to let it go in!!   ;D

Did you just go OJ on us?  :D
iscraft Golf Discs

slimneal

• Pro Poster
  • New bridge, new day
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 07:01:07 PM »
The disc doesn't really care. But she really shouldn't wear those pants.Slims Rule 48:  Practice the putt consistently in from 30' (10 meter circle).
Throw all your discs, heavy, light, soft, sharp. See how they come off your hand. Remark on how the wind and sun affects the flight. Try it from all sides, up/down/cross wind . Pick the color you like best.
When you are facing the wind it is best to fire it directly at the basket with a lot of spin. With wind to your back you can loft it, that is throw it high and soft so it almost comes down near at a high angle. If you are crosswind you have to adapt much like the treefrogs on #13, but generally throw it like a calm day.
Try this a few thousand times.  Then put them on an imaginary wire for the meat of the basket. When you are 10'-15' out focus  in  and go Slim rule 49 for the 3rd chain down from the top. After awhile you will trust the disc that trusts you. and if you like the color.

There is a painted 10 meter circle at Swope #8 for your putting convenience.

PS Swope was just mowed.

Slim
I throw a whippet with mucho mungo
But it turned over and coondogged a tree

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 09:17:31 AM »
Slim, you are quite the rhymin' Simon aren't ya now?! Well said, even with your tongue in your cheek!

Yes, one should learn how any/all of your discs fly for different shots. Sometimes you just MIGHT wanna putt your driver, like when you have a really low ceiling.
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."