Author Topic: Forehand throwing disc suggestions  (Read 5621 times)

isotopic

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
Forehand throwing disc suggestions
« on: October 08, 2011, 06:12:58 PM »
I'm really just starting to get into disc golf.  I played a bit in college w/ some friends, but hadn't played much since.

I'm looking to add a few disc to my currently pathetic collection, but I'd like a few suggestions.  I'm a right-handed forearm thrower.

Is there a certain type of disc that somebody might recommend for a forearm thrower (looking for a driver mostly).  Right now I'm using a Valkyrie for distance, but I'd like something a bit better.  I'm looking at the following: Destroyer (I've tried a friends a love it), Terminator, Nuke, Wraith and Force.

Are there any forearm throwers that have had better success with one type of disc over another?

I have yet to buy my own disc,  What I have is what has been given to me by friends.
valkyrie
avenger ss
crush
Coyote
aviar
rhyno

Thanks.

acemaster

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Forehand throwing disc suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 08:09:50 PM »
i find nuke one of my favorite forehand disc (i am mainy forehand thrower). boss is a real good one i could give it a good 350ft toss any day it is just a faster destroyer. ape is a good one but it will go hard right no matter what. teerexX is a good one if u want a controlled one little less distance then the others but hits the target most of the time.

isotopic

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 08:58:40 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'll definitely give those discs a look.

WrongfulLeaf

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 07:09:03 PM »
I use the TeeRex for a controlled forehand drive also, but when I want big D using a forehand I use a Z Crush.

BenC

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 12:54:09 PM »
Silly leaf, big D is more than 200 feet.

matty

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 02:43:38 PM »
if you approach with a forehand i recomend a drone, real overstable, real predictable
putt, putt, give.

Mike LaFontaine

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 09:05:39 AM »
Pro Boss, R-Pro Boss (light weight), Katana.

Founding Father of the Lee's Summit Disc Golf Association.

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 09:17:55 AM »
mike lafontaine rides the coattails of every new innova wave, even the 2 year old waves. try a 167 gram glow nuke, hold it like this and flick the crap out of it. repeat 10,000 times.
Maurice Richard Gleauzinier
Freelance Flight Tightener
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com
Please be quiet when people are throwing

Mike LaFontaine

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 09:26:54 AM »
...hold it like this and flick the crap out of it. repeat 10,000 times."

:o

The original poster was referencing disc golf.
Gleauzie's expertise lies elsewhere.
Founding Father of the Lee's Summit Disc Golf Association.

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 12:41:43 PM »
Before suggesting a disc that might be good for you, I'd want to hear how the drivers you've listed below fly for you. Which one goes the straightest?  Not everyone throws with the same amount of speed and snap, thus getting an idea of how you are currently throwing helps match the best disc to your developmental level.

I have yet to buy my own disc,  What I have is what has been given to me by friends.
valkyrie
avenger ss
crush
Coyote
aviar
rhyno

Thanks.
Rick Rothstein
Instigator, Ice Bowl 2014
At Large Member, KCFDC Board of Directors
President, Disc Golf World

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 02:34:24 PM »
I agree with Rick. It sounds like we're diving into big-boy discs, and we dont even know how the new chap throws!

Personally I'm quite happy with my drive. I'm not a big arm thrower at all, finesse is my game.
The only time I'd throw a Boss, Destroyer, Nuke or TeeRex would be in a headwind, or a left-to-right wind.

Also worth mentioning, if our fledgling player is a "big arm" kind of guy, those drives generally need developing. Starting with a slower disc will instantly teach you what "speed" means. The TeeBird and the TeeRex are completely different discs..thats for sure.

so lesson here: Throw as many different discs as you can, and throw them often!
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

isotopic

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 07:07:36 PM »
I haven't forgotten about this thread, I just haven't been disc golfing in the last two weeks because I've been busy at work.  I'm going to try and get outside tomorrow and take a few videos so I can get some tips.

I've been working on throwing normally, but I just don't have the distance yet that I want.

Until I can get some video, I will describe how each of my throws typically go with each disc.

valkyrie - Right hand, forehand throw.  Typically goes very straight or a little bit to the right.  Trails off to the left as it slows down.  Average of ~250-300 per throw.  Most of my throws end up to the left of the target.
avenger ss - Right hand, forehand throw. probably travels about 100' before it curves left.  ~175 total feet per throw.
crush - I throw this one right hand, backhand as my "approach" shot.  If I throw it forehand, it typically goes very straight (start to finish).  Probably get about ~150-200 feet.
Coyote - ? Haven't thrown in a while.
aviar - putter. 
rhyno - putter.

Thanks.