Author Topic: countdown to 31  (Read 763 times)

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
countdown to 31
« on: October 18, 2011, 08:20:02 AM »
please have ample designated smoking areas out of the public view for the KCWO 2012

espouse elucidation

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: countdown to 31
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 11:11:46 AM »
Urgh....as a non-smoker, I get it...as a person I despise this ruling......so why is our sport better than baseball?  Football?  Golf?

I get more and more tired of the PDGA with each passing "law"
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

coops

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 11:26:03 AM »
You don't see football players or baseball players smoking everywhere (though I think banning dip is a little extreme) and the only golfer I can think of smoking regularly is Miguel Angel Jimenez, and he smokes the stogies not the cigarettes.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 11:36:44 AM »
chew...you don't see it because it is often behind the scenes....golfers I have seen plenty of them smoke hidden from camera views.  Now its looked at, but it is absolutely silly to think of Disc golf as cutting edge in the fight against tobacco, and they are worried about that as an image more so than the people that act out in the events....(self included)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/story/2011-09-26/baseball-cant-kick-tobacco-habit/50559914/1
Baseball

http://progolftalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/20/nicotine-will-be-monitored-as-a-potential-performance-enhancing-substance/
Golf

Football--they check everything, but you can't smoke in the stadiums almost anywhere......

I personally think its an individual choice, and its an infringement of personal rights in a public place where it is not outlawed.  If the park is non-smoking, its a no-brainer.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 04:15:18 PM »
Yeeeah.. I'm lost on this ruling too.. /agree jack.. If the venue is non-smoking then its pretty obvious..

However if you gain approval from your entire group, I dont see this as a problem

my .02 cents
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

Dale W

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 04:41:33 PM »
You don't see football players or baseball players smoking everywhere (though I think banning dip is a little extreme) and the only golfer I can think of smoking regularly is Miguel Angel Jimenez, and he smokes the stogies not the cigarettes.

If its "public image" they are worried about, then dipping is as bad as smoking because its a regulated (you must be 18 to purchase/use) substance just like cigarettes.  It's just as bad for you - lip/throat/gum cancer vs. lung cancer.  As a smoker, nothing irritates me more than to be in "tobacco use prohibited" area and have somebody dipping away while I am forbidden to light up.  I guarantee you I would call that person out on a courtesy violation in a heartbeat.  And although cigarette butts are an eyesore, nothing is more disgusting than to have your disc or hand land in a pool of spit.  And the only reason you dont see baseball players is because they go down the tunnel between innings.

Sorry to hear about your luck!!!   :P

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 04:55:04 PM »
They cover "dipping" in this rule too.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

Dale W

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 05:01:18 PM »
They cover "dipping" in this rule too.

True...and thankfully, I dont have to worry about it since it only applies to Major Tourneys :D
Sorry to hear about your luck!!!   :P

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 05:54:10 PM »
Once the PDGA pays to ensure that its top players make enough money to warrant an existence, I would not have an issue with how they control player behavior as much.

We currently play for the money from each others pocket, and the work that the local community and volunteers did to bring the disc golf event to the area.

The PDGA in my mind does very little to support the events, and although they have a hand in the Majors, without the sweat, equity and dedication of the local devoted staff, their events would fail.

Once they come to that realization, maybe then in my mind they would be able to enforce rules that are not against the local laws of the land, which in essence is what they are doing.

I wonder what individual rights and freedoms you really give up to play for the people's money that are on your card, and what legal ramifications there are from this.

It is yet again an example in my mind of the PDGA not following the laws of the land, nay, ignoring them, and instead giving directives that are clearly agains the law.

Although they do discuss the rulings on the tobacco from smoking, chewing, electric light up, nicotine patches are not discussed, so why the ruling?  Is it only a perception component?  How contradictive.

Its one of the silliest examples of the PDGA law being above that of societies.

Is the PDGA a better society than the majority of America, and the world, and if so, how is it so big that it won't afford a staff to be paid in its "major events"?  You do this, you do this for free, and you do it our way, or you fail as a person to give your community that chance.

Wow......its really tough to support a group that is thinking along these lines.

Rememer please, I am a non-smoker, I used to smoke (up to 3-5 packs a day) and I don't let people smoke in my house.......I used to throw away cigarettes from friends in order to force the to quit.

I would never infringe on another person's right to light up by something so American in a public place where it isn't outlawed.  I think this is a boundary that is horrible.

It stinks more than a cigarette does, and its a horrible message to a group of people that realistically are good, and make decisions appropriately.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 05:57:23 PM »
http://articles.cnn.com/2011-05-23/us/new.york.smoking.ban_1_smoking-on-public-beaches-smoking-ban-secondhand-smoke?_s=PM:US

If societal laws prevent smoking it is one thing, to prevent, because a few opinionated indivduals feel so..... I never saw this survey they speak of....I ran an NT, I have ran Major's, and played in a Major every year over the last decade.....so I think highly of myself (but if you didn't know that about me yet, you are new to the forum, and welcome!) but where is this input coming from?

There is of course others that share this line of thinking....
www.stewartmorris.com/essays/05Runciman4.pdf

And you can find counter points to it
http://www.smith.edu/philosophy/mbesmithlegal_obligation.htm

Its personal choice.  THey are taking away personal choice, that to date is not illegal, horribly unhealthy, absolutely, horribly stinky, yes, I hate it, but that still doesn't make it right!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 06:11:55 PM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 07:28:41 PM »
it is disc golf, you should be able to smoke or drink what you want when you want to. i can understand no drinking alcohol or smoking on an airplane because of enclosed premises, but the great outdoors, freedom and then this kind of rule, eeeesh, what next a ban on dancing? dude, if i ever ace again, i'm not only going to dance, but buy beer too.
espouse elucidation