Author Topic: There was USDGC bad, and now there's this  (Read 7847 times)

AWalters

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: There was USDGC bad, and now there's this
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2011, 09:59:49 PM »
You know what I like? I like it when a smoker on my card at a competitive event asks if I mind if he smokes. I will always say, "no, I don't mind". But, if that person isn't courteous about it, puffing away on the pad leaving a cloud of smoke on a calm day right before my turn to tee, smoking upwind of me and not noticing my subtle hints to move and especially stubbing a butt on the ground and leaving it where it lays, then I say you have an example of why people tend to complain about smokers on the course. Fortunately this isn't usually a problem and the vast majority of smokers I throw with are quite courteous and some of my favorite disc golf buddies. As a matter of fact, if I'm ever on a card with you and I happen to be enjoying a nice cigar, and it bothers you, please let me know.

To reiterate, this smoking ban is at "Majors" only. As Loomis pointed out, we're talking about only fifteen events and the reasoning behind it is sound and accommodations for smokers are being taken into account. So, light up a smoke and chill out....  8)

while i agree it is nice when people ask before smoking. I like the idea of all major events banned smoking (I dont disagree but would rather like most other sport had designated smoking areas.). It seems like loomis is trying to say there should be a ban on smoking at all pdga events(dont really feel like quoting it atm).

Loomis

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2011, 10:53:19 PM »
I'm not sure how to read "A"'s post.  But it said something about kids.

Dale,
I don't know what you're involvement with disc golf has been in the past, or if you're even active in trying to keep disc golf alive in our community on a level beyond just buying discs, but you've been a colossal waste of time for me today and I appreciate that. You've really given me something to think about other than college.

I will state this plainly... again... and try not to get all Ad hominem on you. YOU are either HELPING to DEVELOP the sport into something more sustainable for everyone... (get that part.. everyone, not just the pros or the smokers) or YOU are in the way. So what is your role, Dale?

Now take your fabricated statistics about smokers and shoo. Go play all the casual rounds you want. I am here to encourage you to do so. But don't get in the way of the people trying to develop the sport into something larger than it is right now.

And just FYI... the smoking policy in place was created to HIDE smokers from PUBLIC view. What an odd idea. Why would they want to do that? What do you think?

Not all smokers are going to abandon the PDGA if they can't smoke at events. Some might, but not enough that it will have a "sizable impact" on the finances of the PDGA. Just won't happen, even if 100 smokers quit... Nope. The PDGA loses players every year (prior to the tobacco free policy) and somehow they continue to power on...

The rules of the PDGA events are vast and open wide. However, there are certain ones which don't get much flexibility. And smoking is going to be one of those rules. However, rules get broken and the TD of the event can deal with that in any way they see fit. I'm not the rules police and sadly there isn't much in the way of a disciplinary committee. However, there is a list of banned players on the PDGA website. Though no one really looks at it. But, that isn't going to hamper any publicity issues the sport has with sponsors or with the public. But the issue of smoking is an IMAGE issue. And as I explained before, ( and I think "A" reiterated somewhat) it's all about the kids. Kids drive the sport's future. AND if you want sponsor dollars, you gotta show the world there is a competitive side to the sport, which transcends the leisure activity side. All sports had to do it, and now it's disc golf to follow suit.

Still didn't tell you not to play. Just said, if you are so adamant about smoking while playing, go start your own professional disc golf league. I am calling your bluff. Never said, don't play. Just said, if you're unhappy, then quit.

Your last comments are Ad hominem dullness. I tell you what Dale, do something more than just lurk in the shadows of other people's work. Go make disc golf a better sport. Get involved.

Loomis

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2011, 11:00:28 PM »
and yeah, "A" if the image was up for a vote, I would ban smoking at all events. The longer we continue to mix the leisure side with the competitive side, the sport won't grow. You have to separate the two. When you do, the leisure side with benefit from the growth of the competitive side.

However, I have never once made an issue of anyone smoking. Not once. I smoked for many, many years. Loved every second of it. But I also know that it doesn't make the sport look legit if the players are smoking while playing. No sport allows smoking during competition. I already brought that up. I think you, or Dale confirmed that fact by stating that you CAN smoke, but you have to stop competing and walk away (where no one can see you. That's odd, huh?). If people can see disc golfers smoking during sanctioned events, it makes the sport look foolish. How do you take a sport seriously if it's players can smoke while playing? That doesn't mean they can't smoke when they're not playing, but it does mean that the sport isn't matured enough to worry about its public image. Which means no big sponsors. No coverage. A catch 22 which requires the players to rethink their attitude about their sport if they want to see it grow.

AWalters

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2011, 11:43:39 PM »
Ok loomis you are 100% incorrect on most of your statements. Yes you have told use to quit me and my dad have quoted you on it so stop lying about that.

1) Just because you dont see people smoking at any major sport doesnt mean its banned. It means that they have seperate areas for smoking. So yes they still smoke during compition but they do it where people cannot see them aka it is still apart of the sport.

2) Both you and my dad have hypothical outcomes(yours-possible sponsers from banning smokin) (my fathers- lose of many smokers and core players that bring in money) altho i could see my dads hypothical outcome more likely then yours.

3) I LOVE seeing this sport grow and continue to grow thanks to some great people here in kansas city (Rick for holding some of the best tournaments ive been to, Dick Parker for ALOT of new courses this year and those working on the 30th annual KCWO).

4) I am personally trying to do more for the disc golf community this year/ next year. I will be trying to get disc golf on more of the campuses.

5)
This isn't about you and me, if it was, the list of what you could or couldn't do at a disc golf event would be vastly different. You just seem to think smoking is somehow integral to the livelihood of the sport. This is a common belief among smokers. I would challenge you to organize your fellow smokers and walk away from the events. Get a hold of Feldberg and Climo and start a movement. I'm sure those two are willing to walk away from disc golf. In fact, walk away from the sport altogether. Take your butts and go play ball golf.
Sounds to me like you are telling me that I shouldnt play.

5)
This isn't about you and me, if it was, the list of what you could or couldn't do at a disc golf event would be vastly different. You just seem to think smoking is somehow integral to the livelihood of the sport. This is a common belief among smokers. I would challenge you to organize your fellow smokers and walk away from the events. Get a hold of Feldberg and Climo and start a movement. I'm sure those two are willing to walk away from disc golf. In fact, walk away from the sport altogether. Take your butts and go play ball golf.

That is telling me to not play in a pdga events which is a main reason i like playing this sport. so that is telling me i am not good enough to play in part of the sport because one of my habits. THAT IS TELLING ME NOT TO PLAY THE GAME I LOVE AND VESTED MY TIME INTO TY.

Since you failed to read them before when we quoted you here they are for th 3RD time you telling us to give up the game.

6) This is going to be my last post since i dont feel like repeating my self over and over. Have a good day and in 2 weeks when im down in greenwood AR for the pdga event i entered I will smoke a cigarette just for you. ;)

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2011, 07:13:06 AM »
My god, from a reading comprehension standpoint, this thread is as bad as the "Waterworks - Poison Ivy" thread that I was lucky enough to get into the middle of.

Walters clan, please, walk away from the computer.  Seriously.

I don't know either of you, but the fail is so strong in this thread that it needs to be put out to pasture. 

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2011, 07:45:22 AM »
People don't smoke. Cigarettes smoke. People just provide suction.  :P

sirbronco

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2011, 08:00:19 AM »
People don't smoke. Cigarettes smoke. People just provide suction.  :P

;D
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

sirbronco

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2011, 08:15:37 AM »
I am of the opinion that smoking kills...watched my mom die from it many years ago...with that being said, I think smoking should be banned altogether.    8)

However, smoking will probably never stop.  If I am on a card with you and you are smoking, I will stay upwind of you or ask you to step away if I am on the pad.  I will never ask you to put it out.  It is just courtesy to ask before lighting up and puffing away.

As for smoking at tourneys...TD's discretion.  A televised event is one thing and some restrictions may need to adhered to.  Other tourneys, smoke em if you got em...just be courteous...Please!!!!
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

Loomis

« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2011, 08:44:29 AM »
"A". I'm not the king of proper grammar, but holy sh1t man. Use a comma! Perhaps learn to spell. It's impossible to read your comments.

And again,
Play all you want, smoke all you want. Whine about your mythical smoking rights all you want. You and your father can sit around and tally up the membership numbers of the smokers' rights organizations and start sending out letters explaining your unappreciated and unnoticed genius to all the entities of the world that don't want you around. Perhaps you can even explain how much you would rather smoke than do anything else with your life (I am going to put learn to spell in this category). But just understand this "A" (is it just A to make it easier for you to spell?) you and your dad are a small fraction of a larger equation. If you choose smoking "rights" over PDGA play, good for you. You won't be missed. I realize by saying this professional disc golf might lose some true disc golf genius or two, but hey, the world is full of Earl Manigaults. I really don't care if you and your daddy want to smoke, I just don't want you to impede what others are doing to make the sport thrive. So in that regard, I don't want you around IF you are going to be a problem. So there you have it, an explanation of my comments. Wipe away some of the smoke residue from your computer screen and read it closely. "Play all you want... Just stay out of my way."

Have fun in Arkansas. Your tournament director is a smoker. Give him a pack as a gesture of your loyalty and solidarity. 

jhinck2

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2011, 10:19:25 AM »
Just for future references should I ever decide to battle Loomis on the boards (not likely) my name is Jordan, not J.  :P
Jordan Hinck
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2011, 10:30:57 AM »
There are only 8 events in 2012 that this will affect.  Not even 15.
1. Am Worlds Doubles March
2. US Am Disc Championships June
3.Stockholm Open July
4&5. Pro/Am Worlds (2 events) July
6. US Masters Championships Sept
7. US Women's Disc Golf Championships Sept
8. USDGC Oct

Chillax a moment before we get more heated boys, and its not just about the Pro events, its about the attractions that they hope to get.

I would be willing to bet though that even "Master of all I See"  8) would agree that this is a small item in a much bigger problem with the sport, there aer so many more items that need addressing than this, including standards, and player behavior, that this really even though with merits (albeit silly in my mind) isn't the white elephant in the room.  If you don't think that way, then please explain to me how the elimination of smoking at 8 (7) venues where the total participation will not exceed 2500 people will impact the sport more favorably than just better ettiquette from our "top players"
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2011, 11:11:56 AM »
http://www.pdga.com/today-in-history-november-3rd

Then there is this from 20 years ago.......
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

HaterAde

« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2011, 12:51:50 PM »
I am of the opinion that smoking kills...watched my mom die from it many years ago...with that being said, I think smoking should be banned altogether.    8)

Sorry about your mom, but why should it mean that everyone else should have THEIR personal liberties stripped? Be careful about espousing such things, because next you know, someone will be spearheading a campaign to ban whatever personal liberties YOU like to enjoy.

Ya know what bugs me? Seeing some portly man or woman stuffing their face with fast food-- makes me sick to my stomach. Or having to give up the armrest on an airplane so they can set their rolls on there. Makes me want to blow a big ol' puff of cigarette smoke right in their face. I know of folks that died eating too much McDonald's and Baskin Robbins, and also those who have left cheeseburger wrappers on disc golf courses. So let's ban tasty food. And before you go with the "smoking affects others" argument, let's not forget the rise in insurance premiums and other expenses that are passed on to ALL OF US when companies have to accommodate those evil overeaters.

No, I'm not serious, I'm just saying F the PDGA.

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2011, 02:23:11 PM »
My first proposal as a new board member, I am requiring ALL KCFDC members be smokers and must smoke at least one cigarette a hole!!! Anybody who does not coincide with the new proposal, shall be only allowed to throw Gateway discs for 6 months!!!

My short game already makes me want to puke all over the course.  I don't need your help.    ???
Drew D Neitzel

AWalters

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2011, 03:21:25 PM »
My god, from a reading comprehension standpoint, this thread is as bad as the "Waterworks - Poison Ivy" thread that I was lucky enough to get into the middle of.

Walters clan, please, walk away from the computer.  Seriously.

I don't know either of you, but the fail is so strong in this thread that it needs to be put out to pasture.

Im sry do I talk like dis like da acemaster kid did to u?

No I do not.