Author Topic: Oklahoma Open this weekend....  (Read 606 times)

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Oklahoma Open this weekend....
« on: October 25, 2011, 12:46:57 PM »
Hey, just thought I'd see who's making the trip to Tulsa this weekend.  I know of Loomis, Minna, and myself going so far.  Supposed to be lots of the pro's from the Players Cup showing up to play there.  Below is the link to the .pdf flyer

http://tulsadiscsports.org/2011okopenflyer.pdf
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Oklahoma Open this weekend....
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 01:13:38 PM »
Considering it.........  :-\

but should I MPG or MM1 is what I must decide.  :-\

bensdadfred

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 03:39:09 PM »
Am masters  ;D
2 Things: Don't sweat the small stuff & everything is small stuff!

Loomis

Re: Oklahoma Open this weekend.... FOR JAMES
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 09:25:52 PM »
Giggity Goppity Giggity Goppity Giggity Goppity Goo!

Oklahoma Open. Course Review ADV/PRO side

The three courses which are being used are Blackhawk, McClure, and Centennial (in Owasso) which are all on the northeast end of town near the airport. So if you go, make plans on that side of town. It's not the safest side of town, but this is disc golf - buy the ticket, take the ride.

Blackhawk -
Built for Worlds back in 2006, this John Houck designed course is one of the Midwest's finest. It's long, it's wooded, it's mentally tough, and it suckers people into making bad shots. If you just play this course for a three on every hole, you would probably do okay. Just throw up TO the trouble, then throw over, or through (maybe around) the trouble, then make the putt, and you walk away a hero. It's a simple course if you can remember that. Sadly, I have never seen anyone do it. The shots here look easier than they are, and the ego of every player is tested when they are on the tee pad. Do you go for it? Should I go for it? The answer for anyone rated under 1010 is NO. This course is sneaky. If you go for it and make an error, your get to watch your easy three turn into a brutal five as it flies deep into the thick woods. Now that I have said that, go ahead and go for it, cause you know you're gonna.

Blackhawk is flat, and carved out of a thick forest. Airplanes fly over really low about every ten minutes, so if you need to concentrate, bring an Ipod. The zoo is also close, but I think years of listening to planes overhead have subdued them to a suicidal level. Anyway... On most of the holes you won't be able to see the pin from the tee pad. Is that going to make people cautious - no. This course is big, and big means bomber, right? There are three water holes (more if it rains) and they come back to back to back - each longer than the last. The first one is a SIGNATURE HOLE with very little room for error. It's a simple right to left hyzer, over water, going under, or around a tree. Eeeeek! The next one isn't as bad, but the water is now a great distance to the right and you have to throw 450 with a left to right cross wind. The last is the worst. It's easily 600 feet long, with water to the right the whole way. The fairway is just the width of a service road on a dyke, so bring some prilosec. After you have bested the water holes, it's all technical woods holes with an average length of 350 feet until you see the end. If you love to test your abilities. If you love a challenge. This is an excellent place to do it. Tulsa's famous wind shouldn't be much of an issue on the holes deep in the woods, but the water holes are wide open, so take a few extra discs. (cause I know you're gonna go for it)

McClure -
This is a fun course that uses the space it has very well. It's built in an inner city park and the holes wind around a parking lot and community center. The land has well placed trees, it's undulated with a creek winding through most of the course. There are a few open bomber holes, but mostly this is a fun turkey shoot of a course. If you can throw 350 accurately, this is your ace race dream come true. The pins sit on mounds, or on hill sides with optimal roll-away slopes, so putting choices are going to give you an ulcer here. There are a few pins close to OB water, but if your disc finds the moisture, you'll get the disc back. The wind will be a big factor on this course, but if the winds are down, a good roller, flicker, or thumber will be pretty tasty.

Centennial -
This course may or may not be used, depending on the weather. If it rains, I hope they use Hunter. If it doesn't, we're stuck at Centennial.

It's outside of town a bit, just north of the airport. The park itself is unmemorable other than it has a great big wide open space where a disc golf course has been laid out. It's flat with a few strategically placed trees. Almost every hole is an ace run if you can throw 350. I'm not sure if they are going to put up OB rope, or stretch out the course to make it tougher, but this course isn't going to be super tough if the winds stay down. If the winds pick up, this course is going to piss everyone off. Oh, final note - everyone is going to lose a disc on 18. There is a lake, and it eats discs. Again, thumbers and flickers are going to eat this course up, which makes me hate all of you who can flick or thumb really well.

All-in-all, this is a great tourny. The best course in Tulsa is Hunter (some say Blackhawk but I disagree) and if they don't use it, go play it. It's nasty fun. A lot like McClure but with more elevation and some crazy technical "down under" holes. The people in Tulsa put on a good show and the town can be a lot of fun to explore. (Sam Kinison is buried there, and Tulsa has more midgets than any town in the world, per capita... groovy) So if you are on the fence about Oklahoma, I say do it. The courses are tough and the weather looks to be ideal. Blackhawk has two SIGNATURE HOLES on it so it's worth going just for them.

Good Luck James. I'll see you there.

Loomis

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 08:08:36 AM »
I'm in, just looking for a "little" floor space... driving down after work Friday night after 6pm  8)
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36, 23, 32, 33, 57
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 10:06:02 AM »
I'm in, just looking for a "little" floor space... driving down after work Friday night after 6pm  8)

I think where I'm staying is already pretty packed CD.  I'm getting there "noonish" on Friday, and I'll see if I can find out who needs a "roomie" for ya'.  8)
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535