Author Topic: An interesting practice round.  (Read 834 times)

dan howard

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Vivid Earth Tie Dyes
An interesting practice round.
« on: October 25, 2011, 07:28:47 PM »
I'm on a little bit of property SW of KC with a nice field west of the house.  It has a few trees and gets mowed in July for the Brome, great for practice play with any disc.

Went out a little while ago with the dog and a couple of buzzz's, beautiful evening, trees are all gold and orange, lit up by a great sunset.  Poe is a german short hair mutt with no training but tons of instinct and enthusiasm.  Wasn't long before he pops a covey of quail and I get to thinking about the two Buzzz's in my hand.  So I bring him in, keep him close as we head to the other side of the field and then let him loose, wasn't 5 minutes before he pops another one 200ft in front of me.  I let fly with the Buzzz, missed by a mile but laughed my ass off at the idea of hunting with a disc.

What's best in life?  A man with his discs, the open prairie, and his dog!

Disclaimer:  This is not inhumane, I really think if I woulda hit one it would have went down long enough for the dog to get it.  He's pretty good at this sort of thing, I think he knows that when I have quail for dinner he's gonna get some.

Poe

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: An interesting practice round.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 07:47:56 AM »
an interesting variation of engleman's run in with the shotgun wielding disc hunters of rosedale.
for anyone else out there harrassing wildlife here are the open season dates: http://kdwpt.state.ks.us/news/Hunting/When-to-Hunt/Sportsmen's-Calendar
Maurice Richard Gleauzinier
Freelance Flight Tightener
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com
Please be quiet when people are throwing

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 08:20:31 AM »
Nice story Dan!
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

five2loves42

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 09:53:15 AM »
an interesting variation of engleman's run in with the shotgun wielding disc hunters of rosedale.
for anyone else out there harrassing wildlife here are the open season dates: http://kdwpt.state.ks.us/news/Hunting/When-to-Hunt/Sportsmen's-Calendar

I know there are several weapons of choice seasons for deer (rifle, handgun (I think this is just MO), bow, ...).  I did not see the "disc" season for quail :)

LMAO!!!!

Even a bad day on the disc-golf course beats ANY day at work! -
Tom V.

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 10:35:26 AM »
i use discs for squirrel hunting, and you really have to have an arsenal, rollers to get them on the move, i use a few putters to box them up into a small tree, stun them with a blunt midrange< gateway element>, and finish them off with my sharpest newest driver. if you can finish one off in three throws, you get a par. i have a few deuces, and only one ace ever in this sporting endeavor, it was with a 180 gram spirit at swope.
espouse elucidation

five2loves42

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 12:40:34 PM »
i use discs for squirrel hunting, and you really have to have an arsenal, rollers to get them on the move, i use a few putters to box them up into a small tree, stun them with a blunt midrange< gateway element>, and finish them off with my sharpest newest driver. if you can finish one off in three throws, you get a par. i have a few deuces, and only one ace ever in this sporting endeavor, it was with a 180 gram spirit at swope.

LMAO again!!!!
Even a bad day on the disc-golf course beats ANY day at work! -
Tom V.

sirbronco

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 12:44:41 PM »

That's hilarious!  Thanks for the laugh Jamie.
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

dan howard

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Vivid Earth Tie Dyes
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 01:23:02 PM »
if you can finish one off in three throws, you get a par.
I fell outta my chair when I got to this.  Nice one Jamie!

HaterAde

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 03:56:23 PM »

Dude, just get a dog! T-Bag's got 2 confirmed kills at Swope, both in the long grass down in the ditch on #9. 8)

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 11:33:56 PM »
dude, you named your dog t-bag??
espouse elucidation

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 10:10:27 AM »
as you may have guessed, with haterfayde's utilitarian approach to most things, not so much a name as both master and hound's favorite game. some dogs like frisbees.........................................
Maurice Richard Gleauzinier
Freelance Flight Tightener
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com
Please be quiet when people are throwing

HaterAde

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 09:19:38 AM »
as you may have guessed, with haterfayde's utilitarian approach to most things, not so much a name as both master and hound's favorite game. some dogs like frisbees.........................................

Party foul.