Author Topic: New Disc Golf in the Northland?  (Read 2260 times)

mattfillingham

New Disc Golf in the Northland?
« on: April 07, 2006, 10:27:54 AM »
Hey guys,

I live in the northland and play Waterworks all the time, but it's the only place up here to play.  After this summer there's going to be about 4 or 5 courses in Johnson county, and at least 3 other places SOUTH of the River (2 in Wyndotte county!).  But just one NORTH of the river (and Waterworks is only barely north of the river).  Are there any ideas or anything in the works for up north?  It's a super fast growing area of town (think Zona Rosa) and a lot of us up here have to drive 30-40 minutes to do anything besides Waterworks.  Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful to have it, I'm just wondering if anything else might be coming.

Matt

Nicky p

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 11:18:45 AM »
cliff drive is no more then another 5 or 10 min from ww and i am sure that you could take 152 to 435 to wyco and that shouldnt take more then 20 min. I guess it comes down to how much you love the game. a 30 min drive is normal in this city, though gas is high.
I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER"

mattfillingham

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 02:56:43 PM »
That is true, and I love going to the other courses, but there still is only 1 of about 10 courses north of the river.  My main questions is whether there is any thought or ideas about new courses up here.

Thanks,

Matt

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 03:05:11 PM »
there's been some preliminary work done at Hidden Valley Park, but that's not the area you're hoping for either.  One problem is identifying park spaces with enough open land to do a good course.  This area has lots of parks, but many of them are either too small, too crowded with people, or too developed with other specific uses.  We're lucky to have as many courses as we do now, given the quality.  Do you realize there's only 1 course on public park land which is 9 holes?  That's almost unheard of!
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 03:35:30 PM »
all the courses in town are a result of one or a few people making it happen, from identifying the park to installation of the pole holes. if you have a park or parks in mind, bring it on!
Maurice Richard Gleauzinier
Freelance Flight Tightener
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com
Please be quiet when people are throwing

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 04:21:07 PM »
And, Matt, if you really want to help get things moving along, join the Club (literally!)  Check out the Membership link from this website (not the forums, the main page) and get in on the action.  You'll be hit up to do some work, have some fun, and keep this DG Heaven going strong--and since the KCFDC is behind most of the courses in town, you can be in on the ground floor of anything new.  If you can ID some possible places, great, but the Club is really the way to get things going.  We can only do it with your help (and, well, the other 100 or so active members...)

steve "67, undefended so far, and proud of it" hoog
Bluebird ROCKS!

matty

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
long drives
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 04:43:36 PM »
eupher-who is directing those ideas for hidden valley? i'm like the other matt and have half an hour to each course(nice to have one of my drives consistently long) but i live in lee's summit and hidden valley is very close.
i would love to lend a hand in that project. i also wouldn't mind helping you defend your bag tag. i picked up 26 the other night. i'll have it out at the mightiest of mo's saturday.
putt, putt, give.

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 01:50:50 AM »
I played at Hidden Valley once in a Homey skins round.  That course was bad arse!  Excellent terrain.  Props to those trying to make this course happen.

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 09:30:54 PM »
Thats me on the Hidden Valley Project Matt.  We have to finish the other courses before the P&R will let us move forward with that one, completely understandable.

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 10:14:31 PM »
And, Matty, you're thinking of Hidden Valley in Blue Springs--it's not that one,  it's the one up north of the river...off Parvin Road and maybe Brighton??  Somewhere like that.
Bluebird ROCKS!

tjringer

Hidden Valley
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 07:51:13 AM »
Hidden Valley is essentially all the way to worlds of fun and then some for someone who lives in Lee's Summit.

matty

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
oh
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 12:36:36 PM »
bummer. i really want some disc in the burbs. i probablly looked like a pederass driving around the softball fields on sunday then.

"eight year olds dude." walter
putt, putt, give.

discchucker

Golf in northland
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 11:45:57 AM »
There's a wooded park of 64th on Green Hills  called green hills park, that could be killer.  :shock:

mattfillingham

yes...
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 08:43:40 AM »
Man, a course at Parvin and N. Brighton would be exactly what I'm hoping for.  Let me know if you need any help getting that one going.

Matt