Author Topic: Westward expansion  (Read 2226 times)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Westward expansion
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 02:02:12 PM »
completely sorry that I didn't make it out Saturday.....kids had other ideas for my time that I thuoght that I would be able to get out there.  I am sorry I didn't....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 02:50:49 PM »
Everything went great.....just need a DR mower in a bad way to show the city guy what we are proposing.....anybody out there got one we can use for 2-3 hours?
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 03:15:50 PM »
...or a tractor and bush hog?

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 11:27:55 AM »
Tom:

Have you heard anything back from the city on the proposed new holes?  Just curious.
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 11:58:58 AM »
We haven't met with them to discuss the preliminary concept yet. We are hoping to mow in a strip or two, to allow easier visualization first. Also, we need to walk it some more, and probably shoot in the distances to make sure we aren't doing something too short, or long.

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 09:51:21 AM »
The changes at PC are gonna make it a little bit more challenging.  8)

We are removing hole nine. When you finish hole eight, you will walk to current hole 10, which will be re-numbered to 9 when we are finished.

The new hole 13 looks like it will play around 630', slightly downhill, through a tree lined alley with a creek paralling the fairway on one side, and wrapping around the green.

The new hole 14 will play around 420', mostly up a gradual grade through a sprinkling of  random trees.

A new pond placement for 15 will be showing up as well.

Per Andy's post earlier today, if you can come out and help this weekend, it will be appreciated.

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 12:20:02 PM »
Hey Tom:

We originally walked out 2 new holes back there which means that you would have to remove 2 holes off the front nine or somewhere.  Is that still the idea or just one new hole?

Just curious.
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 12:20:42 PM »
Hey Tom:

We originally walked out 2 new holes back there which means that you would have to remove 2 holes off the front nine or somewhere.  Is that still the idea or just one new hole?

Just curious.

Just one hole right now......other options will come in the future.  Or should I say 1 completely new hole and a relocated hole 14
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 03:12:59 PM »
Thanks Slant!  I may not be able to make tomorrow at 11:00 AM but Sunday at 11:00 AM might be a possibility.
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 08:04:42 AM »
Working with the City we have now got almost all of the 60+ trees and assorted limbs that were cut this past weekend chipped up and removed.  8)

The City is very pleased with our efforts to date.  8) Thanks to everybody that has helped.  :)

There is some tuning that will continue, but I would ask that all who read this and work/play out at PC not cut and/or pile up any cuttings without talking to me or Andy Lewis first. There was some additional clearing done on current 13 (new 12) that we didn't really want done recently. More than the clearing though, leaving a pile in an area we were essentially done with bugs me worse.

If anybody wants to help soften up the new holes, I'd be glad to point out at least three areas that host large briar/bramble patches that need to be eradicated. A machete or axe works on these nasty things. I hope to get the brush mower back out to attack them soon as well.  8)

The City will be moving tee boxes to the new holes, weather permitting today or tomorrow.  :)

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 05:44:37 PM »
Please note that the trees that were removed were either Locust or Hedge and nothing larger than 5" in diameter.....we left every single tree that did not have thorns and intend for ALL of those to remain.

It really stinks when you (Tom) spend so much time working with the city and following thier guide lines and then have people go out there and just cut whatever they see fit to "make the hole open".  PC has ENOUGH open holes....let's try and leave some trees out there.

Anybody know of a grass variety that will grow in mostly all shade with streaks of light from time to time?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 06:21:12 PM by Slant »
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 06:27:07 PM »
Also....these holes are still very rough around the edges....we want to put them in play to help get the fairways smoother before the mowers try and hit them for the first time.   If you remember hole 15 long, when we put it in, it was the same way...and now it is great...fairways and rough.

Just be sure to watch your step....there are still thorns all over out there and tiny stumps that like to grab shoe strings.....and that's if you stay in the fairway!!   ;D 8)  I think the mower was headed up there again tonight.
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 09:44:30 PM »
Anybody know of a grass variety that will grow in mostly all shade with streaks of light from time to time?
W/o seeing the area I will imagine there to likely be quite a bit of shade once the trees leaf out.  While Sept is the optimum time to start grass from seed (or over-seeding: both with regular rain/irrigation), Spring seeding has some potential.  Try the Grass Pad...they have a Macho Mix that is fairly decent in shady areas.   

The cheapest route would be getting some K-31 fescue...which I'll not recommend for anyone that wishes for their own lawn to look nice.  This is pasture/playground grass with too much junk/weed seeds.  I've seen 50lb bags for as little as $35 in the past.

According to K~State's Hort Newsletter, over-seeding NOW is preferred to even doing it in March.  The seed will not germinate until the ground warms up and we get some regular Spring rains.  The theory behind seeding now is that the heaving of the soil (from a typical Winter) via freezing and thawing will help the seed to work itself down into little pockets/crevices in the soil for future germination in late-Mar/early-Apr.

Over-seed now...and also over-seed again around/just after Labor Day.  It's up to Mother Nature after these attempts, cuz there won't be any sprinklers going off as needed to preserve any germination that will occur.
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

Jake B

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2012, 01:16:34 PM »
Just played the new holes WITH the pads in place!
I talked to a city worker and he said they had just finished.
Definitely rough around the edges, but the work so far looks AWESOME!
Thanks to all the helping hands!

Kelly Markum

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2012, 01:40:47 PM »
Just played the new holes WITH the pads in place!
I talked to a city worker and he said they had just finished.
Definitely rough around the edges, but the work so far looks AWESOME!
Thanks to all the helping hands!

Me too, the new hole 13 is fun. So fun i lost my Striker over the creek. If anybody finds it i would appreciate a call back on it.
"You really can sing and dance! " -- Whiskey