Author Topic: Ice Bowl Chili Contest- Organizer and Volunteers Needed!  (Read 1273 times)

ekolk

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Ice Bowl Chili Contest- Organizer and Volunteers Needed!
« on: December 16, 2011, 05:25:16 PM »
The KCFDC is looking for a volunteer to run the food portion of the Ice Bowl on Sunday Jan 29th.

Your responsibilities would include running the chili contest: labeling crocks and pots for judges, organizing the judges/judging, making sure all entries have power (generator- if you have one great, or you know someone- the generator should be large as in industrial), and helping to put out condiments, drinks, plasticware, plates, bowls and napkins all of which is provided by the club. Additionally, anyone who can conjure up some form of sponsorship would be great, either in merchandise, of any type, or gift certificates, etc.

We are also looking for a beer sponsor if you have an in with any local or national brewers.

If interested, please contact me via this board, and I will coordinate with Rick and the club.

Thank you KCFDC community!

ekolk

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Bowl Chili Contest- Organizer and Volunteers Needed!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 11:59:01 AM »
All right KCFDC community! 56 views and not one response? No ideas out there? No volunteers?

So you see as a community this is how we put on great events. I can think of five people who always want to be part of something great, but the thing is we do not want those same  five people always doing everything as that leads to more of the same and no change. I know there are lots of new players and up and coming members of our community who have ideas and passion. Bring it on!

We consistently have the largest Ice Bowl in the country and the world, so let's show some appreciation for a great cause and the great players who come out and make this happen.

Share your ideas and thoughts! Furthermore, if you have a great idea, how can you/we make it happen with the help of your local club?

matty

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 03:52:09 PM »
i would love to help run the chili contest. last year i think i got to rosie before the sun came up, so there's no problem labeling and setting up flatware. i don't have any access to a generator however. maybe something the club could buy one day?

i'll also bring out some shirts for prizes.
putt, putt, give.

ekolk

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 08:50:57 PM »
That's the spirit. I can't do it all, but I'd love to help.

Matt, A generator is a huge expense for something we would rarely use except for Ice Bowl or Lion's Den. A good idea just probably not the best use of club funds.

Matt has always been willing to help and has given lots of merchandise in the past. Anyone else want to help?

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 09:04:45 AM »
Ram'N'Salmon event could have used a generator last year also......I think a generator would be something for the club to discuss....Cabelas usually has some great ones on sale after the holidays for $300-500.

When I was tresurer for the club and writing checks by hand for the wide open one year I would have also loved to have a generator and printer for that.

Also could have used one at the Ace Race this year instead of depending on charcoal to warm meat and DD to provide power when my computer ran out of juice.

A generator could also be used to redrill pins/baskets if we need, PC has had the need a couple times.
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 09:17:54 AM »
The generators that we have used in the past are not enough for the Ice Bowl, we need to have a large generator, not something that most of us wouled have for the events mentioned.  This would need to be an industrial type similar to what we had last year.  Unfortunately my contact there is no longer employed by Dean Machinary, but I will reach out to see if we can get an idea on whom to contact in his replacement.

This is about relationships folks, most people don't give to just give, so if you know people in the construction business, please think to reach out to them.

If we do need to go to the generator style that has been used in the past, we would need at least 4 generators to power all the crock pots out there.

I finally gave in last year and went and bought a double gas burner because even as a person that loves to help the food at the Ice Bowl, the copmlaints of the cold chili annoyed me, so my gift was to make it so more people may be available for power from the generators.....then of course I landed the HUGE generator, and it wasnt an issue....but this year may be.....

SO if you do have a generator, please let the club know, and if you do have a plan to get a big one so others don't have to worry about it, please work with the BoD on that as well.

===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

ekolk

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 11:48:25 AM »
Jack, Thanks for the reminder to tap people in construction. I may have found a solution to the generator issue. Will post again when I know something.

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 07:40:48 PM »
If there is still a need for an industrial generator, I have secured a promise from the Rodina Company Inc.
The generator in  mention carries 10,000 watts. Is that big enough?
Steven Disc Glover

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 10:34:57 PM »
I think that the one we used last year was 20,000, and it seemed to be plenty, so I bet that this one you speak of would be a great addition Glover!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 10:18:30 AM »
i think last years was 45 or 50kW
Drew D Neitzel

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 12:31:14 PM »
I am going to be the one attaining the generator so that issue is solved. I still need to iron out some details.
Thought I'd get on here to inform and let the club direct attention to other issues for the tournament.
I'm working with ekolk on letting him know about the details of pick up, delivery and the return of the generator.
Steven Disc Glover

HaterAde

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 11:26:39 PM »
Matt, A generator is a huge expense for something we would rarely use except for Ice Bowl or Lion's Den. A good idea just probably not the best use of club funds.

My generator, if it could speak, would beg to differ. Bought it years ago to be prepared for power outages at the house. That's all I ever intended to use it for, and have only had to do so once in the seven years I've owned it. Meanwhile, I've lost count of how many times its been used for club-related activities, be it workdays or events. Its been dinged up in transport and repaired, and its probably due for a tune-up as much as its been ran.

Now, I don't mind lending my generator or else I'd say no. Just saying, maybe it ain't the best use of club funds, but it certainly ain't the worst. sh1t, I only paid like $600 for mine, you're saying the club can't afford $600 to buy a useful item that will last for years? How much is in the account right now, anyway?

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 11:33:43 AM »
I am going by the crock pot watt usage between 200-300 watts x 20 crock pots=6,000 watts max. Sounds like the generator being donated will work. I'm still working out the final details.
Steven Disc Glover

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
Thanks Glover!!!!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 03:16:02 PM »
OK folks. I just got final confirmation that the company donating the generator is not only filling it up with fuel and leaving a full can of fuel to run it. They are delivering it some time before 8am and picking it up from Rosedale for us.
How's that for service!!
Steven Disc Glover