Author Topic: Impending Invasions by Outsiders?  (Read 2762 times)

HaterAde

Re: Impending Invasions by Outsiders?
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2012, 06:34:52 PM »
Good points, E. Personally, I'm always weary of outsiders who stand to make money as a result of their advances. However, in this case, I think we should demand they field a mascot team of "DD Girls", whose sole job is to prance around the course serving Tallgrass Beer in string bikinis during these ten events. That would show tremendous commitment on their part, and would do wonders for the weariness.

tla06

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2012, 11:14:45 PM »
"Good points, E. Personally, I'm always weary of outsiders who stand to make money as a result of their advances. However, in this case, I think we should demand they field a mascot team of "DD Girls", whose sole job is to prance around the course serving Tallgrass Beer in string bikinis during these ten events. That would show tremendous commitment on their part, and would do wonders for the weariness."
And definitely not same ol, same ol ;D  ...Er, weariness, outsiders, money and advances...I'm a bit concerned about how things are going for you, buddy ;D ;D
Wind??  What wind??

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2012, 10:52:36 AM »
What's this thread about?

While I'm not a PDGA member, I pay attention to people I play with and would guess I'm would have a rating right at 800...so I'm not that good.  While I have a competitive spirit and hate losing, I just don't have the skills.  However, I really, really enjoy traveling to play different courses within 90 minutes of Lawrence.  When I do travel, I make it a point to go to dg stores (spend some money I don't need to spend), and enjoyed both DGW and DD store fronts.

Having another quality dg store in KC would be beneficial for the sport and continue to create momentum.  I enjoy craft beer and have been brewing my own for 20 years.  As more people become interested in beer and/or brewing, and more brew pubs and homebrew shops open, it continues to build moment.  The supply needs to run with the demand and vice versa.  Having another dg store that is considerably away from the other but still in the metro area, could actually help both of them in the long run.  And would provide an opportunity to have more B and C tier events at the lesser used courses.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 10:54:22 AM by robm »
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

Dale W

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2012, 05:22:37 PM »

Yes, having DD or other vendors run some events in cooperation with the KCFDC has been discussed in meetings and the conclusion has largely been the club would prefer to have club members run events or even the club run events, but as Jack mentioned, we just do not get enough volunteers from our membership to run as many events as we would like.

As a new clubmember (and new to competitive disc golf) I find it difficult to bridge the knowledge gap between participating in a tournament and what it actually takes to run a tourney.  I DO know that there is infinately more than just showing up and blowing a horn to start.  Is there any kind of checklist or is it up to each TD to "reinvent the wheel"?  A possibility to facilitate the transfer of knowledge would to be a club requirement of assisting at a tourney during the year to maintain your "good" standing.  That way, the members WITH the knowledge could tutor those that dont have it yet and ensure the same people arent being tagged to run events by themselves.  Also, if it were a club requirement, more people would inclined to actually participate in thier club.  I see/hear about the same core people doing things....what about the other 150+ members?  This could be tied in with the Club Championships at the end of the year similiar to the other requirements: being paid up, playing all four rounds, etc.  In order for this concept to be successful, however, there would need to be more tourneys scheduled by the club to enable a wide variety of dates and locations for everyone to help at.

About the WO, if we as members really want to bring the "magnitude" up on this event, we need to find sponsors, or just be sponsors. Not big ones, just small ones, 25.00, 50.00, 100.00 multiplied by 20,30 or 50 goes a long way towards providing more for the players. I am really happy to see the discussion go back to this event and players saying more of what they want and after reading the initial plans for the WO, it also seems our voices have been heard.  :)

What are the levels of sponsorship (and what do you get for them) is my first question on this.  Personally, I have been considering this for my DJ/Karaoke/Photography business that has been on hold for a while (but I am looking at getting it back up and running), but have not seen any info before this.  Secondly, if that info is available in a printed and professional format, it would make it much easier to approach a business owner/manager and make a presentation for sponsorship.  It may be too late for some companies to commit for this year, but there is always next year for them and those that still have advertising/sponsorship funds available would need to see something soon I would imagine.
Sorry to hear about your luck!!!   :P

spnachio

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2012, 09:45:21 PM »
I drove thru Emporia today and stopped at DD store.  I talked with E Mccabe and some other dude.  I inquired if they were coming to KC.  I was told they are opening a store in the old liquor store next to oklahoma joes.  Eric said march.  I like DD but not as much as DGW.  Comments? 

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2012, 10:08:26 PM »
Wow that's very close to Rosedale. Probably will win over some of the more casual folk who play Rosie and happen to see the place.

ptinkc

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://end-of-the-web.com
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2012, 05:38:25 PM »
Hello everyone its Pete Cashen and I would like to announce the New Dynamic Discs Store coming to Kansas City!
The Store will be located behind Oklahoma Joes in the Strip Mall to the East. The physical address is 2854 W 47th KCK 66103.
We will have a Grand Opening on March 9th and then the next weekend the KCFDC and Dynamic Discs will put on the Kan-U- Wyco. Dynamic Discs will be running at least 10 events in the metro area this year. The list is being put together now and we will release it soon. Dynamic Discs and your new local store will be donating a disc every week to every league this year for a give away.
There are several club members involved in the store Jeremy Rusco a club member, Scott Reek ( a 10 year club member), Ted Kieth and Myself.
We have been waiting to Offcially announce to make sure all the lease agreements are in order.
Thank You for your support and we look forward to seeing you in the store!
Three discs' in the hand is better than twenty in the bag!

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2012, 02:54:24 AM »
Why not? The Memorial does it. USDGC does it (unless they change it to make the course tougher), Hambrick, Des Moines, AM NATS, Steady Ed, Beaver State, The Majestic, Almost all of the NT stops are the same course each year, with pin placements in the same place. So why not us?

Certainly there is flexibility, but for the most part the courses on the NT stay the same with a tweak here and there from time to time, which is usually always done to make the course harder, so why not? What do we lose by stream lining what we have? If we really want to make the Wide Open the biggest and baddest, why not make it a three or four day tournament and include all the PRO level courses in the area? (WW, Swope, Rose, BV, Cliff, and maybe one or two of the Smithville courses) What would the pros think if they saw the size and scope of this tournament as a monster each and every year? Why not be the toughest yearly tournament to win? A marathon of disc golf on awesome courses. I think that would set us apart.

The Memorial doesn't really have any other options for courses, and the Arizona courses aren't really all that great.  The Memorial has a few of big advantages:

1. It's the first big NT event of the year, and they've been lucky to stay scheduled that way.
2. They are in sunny Arizona. The weather isn't much better anywhere else in the country in early March.
3. They get serious support from Discraft.
4. While Vista del Camino isn't really a fantastic course, the venue isn't bad because it has Duke's on the 12th hole...it's a nice venue close to the course.
5. Host hotel has been across the street. Not sure if they are still using that place or not.

Des Moines uses all 5 of their big courses. Columbus (Hambrick) doesn't have any better courses, and although I haven't played Hoover Dam since 1992, I imagine some of those tighter routes on the original back 9 have closed up quite a bit.

We haven't really strayed all that much. At least 2 of Rosey, Swope, and Water Works have been used for Wide Opens as long as I remember.

I can't speak for Portland. Never been there.

I think the 3-day format works well.

We have variety, and many, many good courses. People here don't realize just HOW good we have it. I like that we have options.

And really, no matter what the format, if you put on a fun, quality event with decent value for all, people will come.

Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2012, 02:55:17 AM »
I don't know the WO course  schedule this year or usage. I would much rather see Wyco used before Rosey though. I do think SMP should be used too, mostly because of the historical implications.

SMP isn't close to the same course as was used in the first WO.
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2012, 03:12:14 AM »
The Worlds and the Wide Open are not the same thing, please don't confuse them. 

Yeah, I understood all the up-in-the-airness around some courses for the last worlds here.  I didn't state it directly, but I think we should know right now which courses we're going to use next year if not even two years down the road.  Even mention of Wyco for this year has me thinking "Oh sh..! So much to do!"   But if called on, we'll get it done out there.

Worlds was a different animal. I would not have used Down Under at all if I could have gotten away with it, and the first day (the rainy one) was exactly the reason we shouldn't have used it.  The Black Hoof course not going in was a big problem.  I had good assurance that it was going to happen, but budgets in Lenexa wouldn't allow it.  Most of the schedule was set in January or February, we adjusted after the Ams had a big uproar not playing WW, and we were pretty set after that. I don't think it kept people away...we still had 922.  That 7-round schedule was a bear to nail down. I also tried to keep it to 4 courses played for each group, but the sheer number of divisions and pools forced us to 5 for most divisions.

The WO, however, I think people should know as soon as possible. I think the 5 round event has been the best for most people.

As far as the 2 stores go, I'll stay away from that one for the most part, since I'm somewhat partial to DGW. Since DGW vends discs to Oklahoma Joe's. having DD a few hundred feet away is going to hurt business a little bit. Jeremy has picked a pretty good location to set up at IMO. Rick hasn't been as interested in running events, except for a few here and there, so I don't think he's going to have a big problem working with Jeremy on some events, but that's a question for Rick to answer. The metro area probably can support 2 stores....the Twin Cities is doing okay with Fairway Flyerz, Gotta Go, and Timmy doing his thing. I guess we're going to find out if this'll work for one of the two businesses, neither, or hopefully both.

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2012, 07:01:25 PM »
yeah, back on thread... In the US we have a free market economy. If Burger King can set up shop kitty corner to McDonalds, they probably will.  They market economy determines which if either or both will survive.  The markets play out as they will.

Exactly, Just like we can set up smoker right outside the store and sell inexpensive delicious barbq, for people that dont want to wait 53 mins to get a pulled pork sandwich, can get one in a matter of seconds. Have a sign posted that says, "We'll stop selling BBQ, when you quit selling discs"....!

God, why does this feel like a Keiser post?
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

HaterAde

« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2012, 08:08:15 PM »
yeah, back on thread... In the US we have a free market economy. If Burger King can set up shop kitty corner to McDonalds, they probably will.  They market economy determines which if either or both will survive.  The markets play out as they will.

Exactly, Just like we can set up smoker right outside the store and sell inexpensive delicious barbq, for people that dont want to wait 53 mins to get a pulled pork sandwich, can get one in a matter of seconds. Have a sign posted that says, "We'll stop selling BBQ, when you quit selling discs"....!

God, why does this feel like a Keiser post?

Because you actually stated how you felt instead of holding back for the sake of not making waves or fear of offending anyone?