Author Topic: 30th Kansas City Wide Open  (Read 19459 times)

kevweiss

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 30th Kansas City Wide Open
« Reply #240 on: June 04, 2012, 08:18:34 PM »
I played in my first Wide Open this year and unbelievably took 7th in Advanced Masters -- something I never thought I would achieve so soon.  Thanks to Rick and everyone that helped put this on.  It was awesome!  Never thought I would enjoy meeting and playing with the infamous Jack Lowe so much.  But a special thanks to him for the Jacking around and banter that makes someone more relaxed.  I met the most amazing people this weekend and am really looking forward to next year's Wide Open.  AWESOME!

ekolk

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 04, 2012, 10:14:15 PM »
We really can look back on the last weekend and raise our heads a little higher. The KCWO Committee blew us all away with the fruits of their labors. Rick, Crazy, Jack, Tavish and Dan stepped up and gave their passion for the sport right back to their hometown. All of the volunteers, course TDs, Beer League, KCFDC BOD, sponsors big and small, Kansas Citians, and club members just set the standard for the KCWO. I heard accolades in all directions. Everybody was really impressed with the courses, the challenge, and the player experience. What a pleasure being part of this community is.

I talked to Dave Hemmeline before the awards ceremony, and he summed up his feelings about KC, the courses, and the community in two words, "Big heart." 

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 05, 2012, 09:00:01 AM »
Last year the crowd was spread between 3-4 cards including the men's and women's leaders.

I thought the scene was much better this year with the entire gallery concentrated on the one group.

I think this idea should be considered again for finals in the future. When they were playing the modified hole 16, i saw quite a few people drive by very slowly with looks on their faces wondering what the hell was going on.

That was an awesome idea for the Mixed finals! It made it that much more exciting with the reaction 400+ people all concentrated on every throw, as evidenced on Will's pin ringer on 4 and Catrina's final shot on 18. Plus the gallery looked awesome on the DGP coverage. I hope they continue that final card in the future!!!

I totally agree with having the top 7 men & women play together.  I thought it was very cool.  The large gallery was great.  Having the ladies play with the men showed other people how good they really are.
Throw farther, not harder...
PDGA#52809
2014 Tags: 20

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 05, 2012, 09:03:03 AM »
What an amazing event!!! There was a lot of blood, sweat, tears and maybe a bit of ruffled feathers put in to make this happen. That is what being a family is all about!!! They say you attract more bee's with honey, but lets be honest, who wants to attract MORE bee's?  ;D

Even before this event, I love what Kansas City disc golf is all about, but after the event, I can't help but look back and say, we are raising the bar on what it is to run a world class event!!! I was taken aback by the size of our gallery. Kansas City is the BEST flying disc town in the world, HANDS DOWN!

Congrats to Greg Utz, for blistering Water Works and getting his first 1000 rated round, in rout to an 8 throw win!!!! Also to Jake Bowen on being the top Kansas City finisher in the Open division for the KCWO XXX!!!

A Special THANKS to, Jack, Rick, Dan, Tavish, Timko, and CraZZZZY, all the Course Coordinators and volunteers, for having our courses in tip-top shape. Thank for going above and beyond to make this a guaranteed stop on tour!!!! None of this is possible without you all!!!

I may be from Omaha/Charlotte, But Kansas City is were I Live and Love, and I am extremely proud to call it MY HOME!!!

Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

AdamC

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 05, 2012, 09:35:50 AM »
As others have already said, this weekend was a blast.  I had a great time playing and also wanted to thank everyone for all the hard work that went into putting on such a great tournament.  The courses looked great and played hard.  It was an exhausting 3 days but well worth it. 

Also, I thought the Saturday Night Soiree was really well put together and it looks like everyone was having a fantastic time.  Couldn't have asked for much better weather right?  I was curious what that beer was on tap though.  Tasted like a pale ale? 

Again, thanks to all those involved and I look forward to next year.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 09:37:25 AM by AdamC »

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 05, 2012, 12:45:28 PM »
This is the second round coverage of the pros at BV. Check out the 1 hour, 2 minute mark. I had just finished my spotting duties on #7, and cruised over to watch the lead card, who had just teed off on #15. It turned out I had parked my 4-wheeler in a very opportunistic spot for Devan. ;D

http://www.livestream.com/discgolfplanet/video?clipId=pla_6b7c4735-3808-4571-8550-a11f1dc25bd6&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

hemme

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 06, 2012, 07:10:42 AM »

Man! Where do I begin? I'll just keep it simple and say thanks. Thanks KC! Thanks for reminding me of the things I'm truly passionate about. Thanks for the unbeleivably warm homecoming. Thanks for designing courses that call back. I'm getting a call right now from Waterworks. It's saying hey Dave, you want another chance at that ten down you thought you'd throw? There's a text from Blue Valley it reads, I may have been tamed a bit but don't call me BABY! Thanks to the PC leaguers who showed up for my Monday ritual round. I can't tell you how cool that was to me that you guys came out, Deano,Tracy,Dan,Nick,Wonderboy,Gman. And thanks Tom and all those involved for sticking some Big Creek and Walnut Ridge in little ol PC. Thanks DD for your awesome and professional presence and for the great shirts etc. Thanks to Rick for opening up the empire to all. Thanks Dick Parker for being a mover and shaker.

Finally, thanks to Mark Stiles for also sponsoring me and always having my back and the great pizza at Kelleys and for being there at the very beginning of what is quickly becoming the best tournament in the best sport in the world

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 06, 2012, 07:32:08 AM »
Thank you Hemme for just being awesome. Sorry I couldn't join you Monday night. I pulled my hamstring Sunday afternoon throwing Frisbees like I was a kid again. Hope we get to see you again.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

hemme

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 06, 2012, 08:12:22 AM »
Forgot one very important one...Loooomis! Sorry you cashed and had to turn it down. Way to go and get a taste of the lead card. Thanks for the great advice and good luck at worlds!

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 07, 2012, 11:18:37 AM »
Thank you Hemme for just being awesome. Sorry I couldn't join you Monday night. I pulled my hamstring Sunday afternoon throwing Frisbees like I was a kid again. Hope we get to see you again.
Yeah, I've still got bruises from that!
Throw farther, not harder...
PDGA#52809
2014 Tags: 20

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 07, 2012, 04:39:32 PM »
I got drunk during the final 9 but then again....I don't get out much.  :-D  Great event guys!
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 07, 2012, 05:13:11 PM »
I got drunk during the final 9 but then again....I don't get out much.  :-D  Great event guys!

Did Jack bring HopSlam?

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 08, 2012, 10:03:53 AM »
I did and some three floyds Zombie as well....sorry you missed it bud, all in the cooler, as well as this stuff that Avery brought, Fire heat beer for Greenwell, it was HOT, but kinda cool!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Guth

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 26, 2012, 11:20:09 AM »
Just got the PDGA discgolfer magazine and it has a picture of Feldberg playing in the final 9 at Swope with some guys (Henry Poe, Jay Revard, ??) from KC in the background.

sirbronco

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 26, 2012, 11:30:41 AM »
Just got the PDGA discgolfer magazine and it has a picture of Feldberg playing in the final 9 at Swope with some guys (Henry Poe, Jay Revard, ??) from KC in the background.

Good pic by our very own Dale Walters
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695