Author Topic: 30th Kansas City Wide Open  (Read 18766 times)

HaterAde

Re: 30th Kansas City Wide Open
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 08:45:09 AM »
Doesn't some of the money from the Am entry fee go toward the Pro purse in these kinds of tourneys?

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 10:12:56 AM »
proposed entry fees:

Open men and women: $130
Other pros: $105
Advanced: $80

Above require PDGA membership to be current

Below, will have the ability to add $10 for PDGA tournament fee
Others ams: 55

This is the proposed fees at this point, this DOES NOT include PDGA fees (typically $3-$5/person) nor a determination on KCFDC fees at this point (typically $2), or Ace Fund money (generally $1/rd). More information to follow, but in case you wanted to know as this is coming together......

hmmmm....was excited to play in my first WO, but at least $65 (approx) to enter definately puts a damper on that exictement.  That's almost 2 other tourneys!  I would definately enter ADV Masters over Int/Rec if the K7 is used (havent played SM and only played Olathe and WyCo once each plus further away from the "real" action)....but that would also mean $25 more (a 3rd tourney).  May just sit out this year and improve my game for next year. Definately glad to have a heads up.  Sure hope the players packs are gold plated and loaded and there is all the adult beverages you want for that price.   :(

I gotta pay over a $100 to play old man open? with no player pack or guarantee of a payout? what kinda scam are you people running?

if anyone wants to get into cost/benefit analysis why not look into the thousands of dollars and thousands of hours of time and energy invested by individuals to make sure you have a wide open, much less 30 of them? since you seem concerned with gettting something for giving something why not volunteer and help create a merit system: X number of hours of service gets Y sponsorship.
if nothing else it will give those who need to whine something else to whine about......for 6 months.
Maurice Richard Gleauzinier
Freelance Flight Tightener
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com
Please be quiet when people are throwing

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 10:41:32 AM »
Doesn't some of the money from the Am entry fee go toward the Pro purse in these kinds of tourneys?

It depends on the sponsorship dollars that come in.  Money in and Money out is really what the event is about.  If we have more sponsorship dollars then everyone gets more.

Dale, sorry you think the fee is too high.  Stiles is right though, if you want to haev a fun experience, help by volunteering.  Lord knows we can always use more people to step up and make it enjoyable for those players.  Especially in events like this, out of towners love to see locals helping with the events, I cherish it, and in fact have met some the best people that I interact with today from not playing with them, but seeing the work that they did while I was playing their event.

Its a wonderful opportunity when you volunteer to also get to see almost all the players as well and ineract with them.  As a player you don't have that luxury, as a volunteer you typically have a great time, get exhausted, and meet wonderful people from all over the world.

Hopefully as well those of you that made it to the volunteer party last year will remember that as well and realize that we have a good group of people here, but we need more!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

coops

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 05:39:31 PM »
Initially we are looking at
(A)Open Men and Women doing:
Fri-BS-BV
Sat-Rosie-WW
Sun-Swope

(B)Age protected ADV and Pro Div:
Fri-BV-BS
Sat-Swope-Rosie
Sun-WW

(C) Adv Men & Women
Fri-Swope-WW
Sat-BS-BV
Sun-Rosie

Now this is up for discussion still, but should have it planned within the week as we may go the K-7 Route instead of this, but if we go this way everyone plays on the same courses....

(D) Int or Int/Rec
Sat-BV-Swope
Sun-BS

(E) REC/Novice
Sat-WW-BS
Sun-BV

BV + anything else in one day is quite a lot to ask of players and staff.

kidmills

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 06:13:19 PM »
i agree just what want to do bv+bs in the same day...................adv grandmaster
don't think i'll make this one

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 07:21:30 PM »
I too am bothered by the prospect of playing BV and other course (that list says BS for Adv Men), in the same day.

HaterAde

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 07:40:50 PM »
Guys, the new medium version of Blue Valley is not even close to the original XXL version. I might compare it to Wyco in terms of length. Would you have a problem playing Wyco and PC on the same day? Should be very similar, especially given the number of short holes at Blue Springs.

For the record, I've been messing around on the new BV course the past few days. It rocks, and will only get better as the new improvements become established. Did I mention there is no more long grass on the course? Even better! 8)

coops

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 09:23:46 PM »
Guess I missed the short course thing. That should make it easier to do both on the same day, though it begs the question, is it better just to do big boy BV instead of shorter BV and something else...

Though I guess the one thing BV has always lacked was variety, and that should certainly give it some variety.

HaterAde

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 10:12:09 PM »
Coop, I promise you'll be pleased with the changes there. Its gone from a course I might play once a year if someone drags me out there (despite it being fairly close to home), to a course that I'll be happy to play as much as if not more than any other in town. It still has challenging holes-- #6 is the same and is in the long setting, #7 is exactly as it was at the '11 WO, the new #10 is basically the portion of the original #9 that you play after throwing across the ditch. #14, #15, & #16 are the new #16, #17, and #18.

Heck man, just come check it out! Everyone, come check it out! ;D

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2012, 01:47:44 PM »
Played new BV set up today with 7 others. Most of us shot 59 and 60 with Nick Wink shooting a respectable 55. It's a great new set up. In fact, I want to play it again tomorrow. It is so much more fun. I was not exhausted at all after playing it either. I think the BV and BS combo adds the fatigue factor and those who are more physically fit and can play 6 hours a day of consistent golf will make some positive moves. Great work to all involved. BV is moving up on my list very quickly.

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2012, 01:57:34 PM »
I was unaware of the new BV setup. Sounds cool, I'll have to check it out.

Loomis

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »
The new BV is still pretty tough in the short positions. It is still pretty rough around the edges, but it's a hard course due to elevation and clever pin positioning. It's still a big walk up and down those hills, though most of the distance has been greatly diminished. I noticed a lot of new trees were planted on the course, which is going to make that course extra tough. It's not down under-ish, but it will narrow down your choices off the tee pad. For those who like the distance, it's still there, it's just not the "two bomb shots or more per hole" course it used to be.

So far, it will be a good challenge, if we can sell it as such.

Someone will need to video tape a round out there and post it online so people can see what the changes are.

NoSponsor

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2012, 07:38:07 PM »
I say Blue Valley original on Friday and then use the short setting with Water Works on Saturday and then Cliff Drive Sunday
Sean Elliott

HaterAde

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2012, 08:59:38 PM »
I say Blue Valley original on Friday and then use the short setting with Water Works on Saturday and then Cliff Drive Sunday

As much as I love Cliff Drive, the back 9 is too open and boring to showcase the course in a NT event, IMO. The loss of the big tree on #17 was huge. We need to get some trees out there and possibly rework a hole or two. #13, #15, and #18 have got to be among the dullest holes in town right now. :(

Dale W

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2012, 11:03:19 PM »
Having never played BV before, we (my family and I) are going to try it out tomorrow (along w the Crosbys) for the first time.  I am anxious to see this "beast" up close and personal to see what all the excitement is about.  Maybe it will influence my decision on whether or not to pony up the Adv Masters fee for the WO.
Sorry to hear about your luck!!!   :P