Author Topic: 30th Kansas City Wide Open  (Read 18324 times)

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 30th Kansas City Wide Open
« Reply #105 on: May 21, 2012, 03:43:38 PM »
That's it! 4 rounds at Prairie Center!

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2012, 04:20:29 PM »
I personally love the idea of the A-Tier playing the same courses as the Pros. We're not playing the original version of Blue valley, so its really not THAT big of a deal to play 2 courses a day. If you don't think you can handle the 5-course option there's always intermediate for you :)

As for the art, sure its being a little recycled, but what else do you recommend be put on there? I think its a pretty sweet representation of Kansas City. Only thing better could be Oldenburg's shuttlecock statues :D If we want something new and unique someone has to take the time and effort to DO IT. That's what it really all comes down to.

Also, how is this event the same year over year? Other than format, or courses chosen what would you like to see be 'different'
Are you playing in the KCWO?

What about the XXX games, isn't that a neat and new idea we're integrating with the Wide Open?

Its hard to say something Stinks when you aren't out there making it smell better. (Or maybe you are!!?)
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2012, 04:27:24 PM »
Too tough of a schedule? I moved up from Intermediate to Advanced solely to play the 5 rounds of golf. If you want it to be considered a real sport, you can't complain about the physical aspect of the game. Acclimate yourself to playing in the heat, do your research about proper hydration and most of all get in shape.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 21, 2012, 04:58:41 PM »
It takes a bit of a design from a 2009 Worlds disc and puts a new spin on it. It was drawn by Zach Kelbaugh.

http://www.zamdesign.com/

five2loves42

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2012, 05:07:55 PM »
Let the personal attacks fly!

Really?  I did not see anything "personal" about the responses above.

My favorite Disc Golf Day logo was Bartle Hall with the Coke font.  And I think this one is pretty cool as well.
Even a bad day on the disc-golf course beats ANY day at work! -
Tom V.

sirbronco

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2012, 05:23:28 PM »
Gotta find that "Like" button for the disc.  Can't wait to check one out for myself.
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2012, 08:02:19 PM »
Yeah, nothing personal in my responses, just voicing my opinion and junk.

I hope those 6 people you know are playing intermediate then. I honestly don't think there is a golfer here that cant handle that schedule. It's surely not going to be easy. It's going to be a physically demanding setup that will eventually crown a champion in all divisions! To me, that's what good golf is all about.

It's 2 rounds a day. I know I wont be party-hardying on friday or saturday night, that's for sure. As far as pace of play goes, I'm fully prepared for that aspect of the game. It's going to be a TON of waiting, gotta get my mind in good shape for that!
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2012, 08:15:16 AM »
That's it! 4 rounds at Prairie Center!

There isn't enough Deet in the City for four rounds at PC.  ???

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2012, 09:25:40 AM »
I'm excited about the KCWO this year and I wished more people would get on board.  I like the format.  I think it will be extremely challenging with lots of golf.  It does take a big committment to play in it (cost and time).  I liked the logo on the fundraising disc, but the image on the full color buzz is not my cup of tea (that eyeball in the upper left corner keeps staring at me saying...." WHY didn't you make that PUTT?".  But who knows, maybe I will like it better when I see it in person.  As much energy and focus the KCFDC put on this event, I would really hope that it would measure up to other comparible tournaments like the GBO in terms of payouts, players pack, courses, and execution.  Just an FYI, the players pack at the GBO was awesome and will be tough to beat.  I got a Titanium Wasp (retail $25), Cryztal FLX Drone (retail $20-30 depending on where purchased), dryfit shirt, hat, glass mini, water bottle, and a pair of Keen socks.  I think it's important to support Kansas City's biggest tournament, which I wholeheartedly do, and I think its important to let people know what you liked, didn't like, or that didn't live up to expectations (whether they want to hear them or not).         

Dale W

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2012, 12:49:04 PM »
A large portion of the lower local turnout for the KCWO as comparied to the GBO is the fact that a tournament of this scale needs A LOT of  volunteers.  If the volunteers (myself and family included) weren't helping, we would/could be playing (I took the whole week of vacation and my wife took Thurs/Fri for it).  Don't mistake what I am saying....I/we made the decision to help instead of play and am NOT complaining about the need for volunteers.  I AM saying that this tourney needs the players to come from other areas (Des Moines, St. Louis, Wichita, Omaha, and all other points not in KC) in order to have the field fill up.  What can we do to entice that? Personally, I thought the GBO did an AMAZING job on the player pack at a moderate entry fee.  Are we doing that good of a job?  Quess that will be answered in a couple weeks.
Sorry to hear about your luck!!!   :P

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2012, 07:07:31 PM »
Are there going to be any NT player clinics?  Has anyone tried to maybe contact the Nonstop Disc Golf guys?

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 22, 2012, 09:36:23 PM »
What time is the players meeting on Friday morning?  I've seen conversations for just about everything but what time to be at the courses for the first round.  Just askin'  :)
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 22, 2012, 10:20:17 PM »
Players meetings are at 8:00 on your courses I believe all three days.

Just finished "pre-prepping" Swope Gold tonight, the back 3 holes will play slightly different this year than in years past.

If you don't like the logo's that we have, please try to do something that helps, like create the art, and give it to someone that is working on the planning crew for this event.

Players Pack will be nice, they almost always are here in KC.

The extra events happening all week will only help to add to the excitement.

In the last 30 years, what other sporting event has happened every year?  We have had the Royals and the Chiefs play in those 30 years, how many other sporting events/teams can you name over the last 3 decades that are no longer here?

With close to 30 courses to play in Kansas City it is tough to limit the courses.  With 30 years of the event, its a great testament that we get to play some of the original courses, and some of the new courses.

Coming to Kansas City to play disc golf on 1-2 courses is for when you have to visit family and leave on the same day.  Maybe that is why the Wide Open has not seen a consistent winner of the event, and as an NT, a different player has typically one it, and in many instances it has been their first National Tour Victory.  Although the argument may be made for repeat performances on a course, it historically hasn't been the case in KC.  Last year we played 4 courses in 3 days.  This year its 5 courses in 3 days, but is only going to add about 1,500' in distance totals from last year's 4 courses, playing close to 34,000' and last year's 4 courses were close to 32,500'.  I guess taking out #17 & 18 at Blue Valley removing that 1,600' helps in that equation.  Swope Gold will play the longest and the highest par at a 59.

Bottom line, this is history.  There is no other location that is hosting it's 30th annual event, that has hosted 3 world Championships, and has a history of being one of the friendliest locations on the disc golf tournament scene over the years.  You may not like a person or two in Kansas City, but for those couple of bad apples in your mind, you know that you love at least 5-6 others.

So quit complaining about having to play disc golf on great courses with a great amenities planned for you to enjoy, and enjoy playing the sport that you like/love.

This event will be spectactular, and you will either enjoy it, hear stories about it, or wish you were here.......if you can't play, come watch, play some of the Triple X games, enjoy the camping, the free concert's, the free clinic, the kids clinic on Thursday.....the disc dogs, the catered saturday night soiree, the DJ', and of course the golf.  If there is one thing that Kansas City has it is great disc golf.  You know it, so come see how it makes you humble.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 22, 2012, 10:42:02 PM »
Swope set up sneak peek....

Yep....It is going to be a fun set up.  Hopefully it will be set for league next week in the Wide Open configuration.
A little sneak peak.....
1--play 1 long, surrounded by OB, double Mando off Pad
2--play 2 long, with OB both sides of fairway, and ob behind pin
3--play to #3 middle (just before Road) OB right/left, all the way up to road
4--play from #4 pad to #5 left long pin position.  OB all the way up the fairway right, and Road, tappering towards pin and behind pin

****walk past house North to road tee****
5--Following Gregory, on west side of fairway, all the way, pin on an island, OB Right all the way up, 3 roads OB on the way
6--throw across "lake" shortest from pad, easier area ~210', farther down, skinnier fairway, close to 400' to clear must clear the little "bushes" from the pad or re-tee
7--short little Island shot, drop zone if you miss, by Parks Building
8--Plays #6 long with OB all over it
9--plays to #7 which is an island green, either on the green or drop zone, drop zone right by double mando :-)
10--plays to #8 (OB is around shack only)
11--plays #9 short--then go to #11 Short pad, skip hole #10
12--plays to #11 long (the come backer' pin for those in the know!  ps, you're old if you get it) OB right all the way up the fairway
13--plays to #12 right, standard OB rules, road and across
14--plays #13 long, you are on the only "inbounds" location on that side of the road, OB will be the road on the other side, or the OB line all the way up the fairway in the woods.  If your tee shot goes OB, you go to Drop (short pad)
15--plays from #14 long, to #15 pin across the road.  Past the rocks is OB, and there is a drop zone for your second shot, regular OB rules on your drive.  You must be on the Island after second shot, unless you are still inbounds.  When you go to throw on the island, if you don't make it, go to drop zone.  If you hit the basket and roll off the island, you go to drop if you are throwing across the road....get it?  :-)
16--Will be the corner from Gregory like last year, to long #16 with OB all the way up on the right, and OB road on the left.
17--Left placement, OB behind it all around.
18--Middle placement with OB on both sides of Fairways.

All Rocks will be OB, from the outer edge essentially, it will be lined up OB.

Can you help work on the course this weekend, reach out to Timko!

Thanks,

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack