Author Topic: Tearing Up The Course!!!  (Read 3659 times)

Campbell

Tearing Up The Course!!!
« on: April 17, 2006, 06:55:55 PM »
I took my girlfriend's son to play the Blue Valley junior course on sunday.

I know the club pulled the baskets on the large course, so the grass could have a chance to grow. So it angered me a bit, to see a large mexican family deliberately destroying the fairways and tee pads on wholes 1, 2, 3 and all over the junior course. They were having, what looked like, a family reunion and thought it would be fun to ride atv's, motorcycles, and go-carts all over the course. They used the new teepads as ramps to jump and the new hills of dirt like sand dunes. In all, they must have had at least 11 vehicles running at all times. When one would stop another adult or kid would jump on and continue riding.

It really frustrated me to see such a wonderful course being abused like that. Isn't there a city ordinance against this type of thing? It seems to me that there is, and if not, there should be.

Just thought I'd let everyone know what I saw this weekend.

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Tearing Up The Course!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 10:22:07 PM »
Not a whole lot can be done until ther eis signage stating "no motorized vehicles". I know it sucks.
Mike Penney

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Tearing Up The Course!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 10:36:54 PM »
it's a relatively low priority for the KCPD, but call them.  Operating a motor vehicle on non-road surfaces is illegal in KCMO parks, destruction of public property, probably underage drivers operating non-licensed vehicles, riding without helmets.

Sadly, there are much more serious things happening.  Still, the police should be called.  

And not Gordon Sumner.
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Tearing Up The Course!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 09:53:34 AM »
when we were forming the t-pads we were constantly repairing the work from the weekend before because these clowns would drive their atvs over our forms.  i would imagine before june we'll have signs out there threatening death.

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Tearing Up The Course!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 10:29:06 AM »
what makes anyone think it will stop? these folks have been using the same parks for the same purposes for longer than disc golf has been around. if you don't believe it ask anyone who has been playing at swope since 81 or rosedale since it went in the ground in 1985.
from experience, angry confrontations do more harm than good no matter how you feel about these boneheads.
why not have the people who are working with the parks representatives help make it a priority for the parks department to limit the moto goobers who defile the land.
if that doesn't work have big dan call the cops, the black helicopters will show up in 5 minutes. just be sure to give eupher time to make his get away.
Maurice Richard Gleauzinier
Freelance Flight Tightener
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com
Please be quiet when people are throwing

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Tearing Up The Course!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 07:16:28 AM »
Perhaps some "severe tire damage spikes" could be installed in their favorite acceleration lanes, or, of course, a 50 cal sniper rifle is very effective at ranges up to 1000 yards.

Surferdude!

I'm with you dude...
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 07:48:56 PM »
But, every time I bring up a similar subject about cars parking all over 15/16/17 at Swope all I get is "well, it's only a few times a year..." or all but called stupid for being pissed off about it by past cc's.  Apparently disc golf, as a sport, as a completely positive influence on the areas around the courses, and as a political voice is too much in it's infancy to be heard...

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Tearing Up The Course!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 07:22:07 AM »
I completely agree with you Mark. That's why I am trying to get more big rocks moved over to that area. I don't feel as though the course should have to suffer because of people parking in the grass to picnic. It is a golf course! I know what would happen if we tried to have a picnic on 15's fairway on the ball golf course next door, but then again people pay to play over there. So I guess that is the difference, but still I will get more rocks, and hopefully it will keep them off the course.
Mike Penney

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Tearing Up The Course!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 12:24:16 PM »
8/6 fairway farming of holes 6 and 7.
turquiose geo metro, mo license 208 zxa, 10-12 stickers on the rear windows, two latino males, mid 20's.
witnessed joy ride from start to finish, saluted them in a manner sufficient for them to come let me finish my admonishing. explained that we were trying to discourage hillclimbing, offroading, etc.
must have convinced them I was serious, the passenger preserved my likeness with his cellphone imaging device. look for the wildeyed golfer on america's most wanted next week.
Maurice Richard Gleauzinier
Freelance Flight Tightener
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com
Please be quiet when people are throwing

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
Tearing Up The Course!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 11:09:36 AM »
Quote from: "geauzinier"
8/6 fairway farming of holes 6 and 7.
turquiose geo metro, mo license 208 zxa, 10-12 stickers on the rear windows, two latino males, mid 20's.
witnessed joy ride from start to finish, saluted them in a manner sufficient for them to come let me finish my admonishing. explained that we were trying to discourage hillclimbing, offroading, etc.
must have convinced them I was serious, the passenger preserved my likeness with his cellphone imaging device. look for the wildeyed golfer on america's most wanted next week.

You're funny, but looks don't count for everything. I'm funny too.  :wink:
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36, 23, 32, 33, 57
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

Dirk

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Tearing Up The Course!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 04:44:20 PM »
Yeah , big Rocks

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 07:07:31 PM »
I kinda like the 50 cal idea personally. I could use the practice.  ;) ;D  ;)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 01:10:02 PM by Lefty2 »
For a good time: Lat- 3925'8.92"N, Long- 9433'18.52"W

Keizer

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 04:18:40 PM »
I saw some guys riding quads there last week before all the rain came. Didn't notice them being destructive or anything, but still thought it was f'ed up. Since when are you allowed to ride ATVs in a city park, anyway? Sign or no sign, I'm pretty sure ATVs in the park is a no-no.

Chainsaw

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 06:04:19 PM »
There were some real nice tread marks on hole 13 at Swope Park. Maybe we can line the fairways with spikes instead of rope...

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 11:18:06 PM »
Those tire treads, may be Dan's machine though out at Swope, or the Gator from the P&R.  BV yeah, there are some trails close by that people use, so it makes sense, Swope has not been the hotbed, the park that close to HQ, would have them nipped in the bud right away.  The house on the course is P&R's as well, so no one would be out there unless they are truly NUTS
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"