Author Topic: Indep Youth Sports Expo- Jan 21st, 1-3pm; Blue Springs Expo Jan 28, 9-1  (Read 470 times)

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Since the KCFDC is working towards being a 501-3C, it is a priority  to increase our community involvement.  We have a great opportunity to meet and introduce new folks to disc golf on Saturday, Jan 21st in Independence .  This is a great way to generate interest for our sport, promote the ICE BOWL(our best fund-raising event), promote our courses, leagues, and possibly meet future sponsors for our events, and to encourage folks to come and check out the KCWO this summer.  These are the type of grass roots efforts that are necessary in the attempt to make disc golf more mainstream and build our base. Generating interest will not only bring in new blood to our club, but it will bring us a youth movement. 

The club has been granted a free booth at the Youth Sports Expo.  We need some folks to volunteer and hang out at the booth, throw some discs at the basket, do a putting contest etc.   This is a really simple and easy way to give back to the sport and club.   Independence would be an ideal location for a course, especially since their rival cities/parks depts BS and LS currently have courses, and Raytown is possibly in the works.  It often times takes years to get the parks depts on board, but us making a strong presence will only aid us in the future

Saturday January 21st, 1-3 pm
Truman Memorial Building
 416 West Maple, Independence

The Blue Springs Youth Expo is the following weekend, Jan 28th from 9-1.  If anyone is interested in volunteering please let me know.  We were also given a free booth and  I am not sure i can swing both events due to a coaching conflict.  I can be at BS by 9:45 so i would need someone to set up.

Blue Springs Youth Expo
Adams Pointe Conference Center
1400 Northeast Coronado Drive
Thanks,
John
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 11:53:07 AM by john theiss »

BenC

Re: Independence Youth Sports Expo- Jan 21st, 1-3pm
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 09:31:33 AM »
I'm in for the 21st just let me know when to show up.  I can talk to you tonight offline.

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Indep Youth Sports Expo- Jan 21st, 1-3pm; Blue Springs Expo Jan 28, 9-1
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 12:59:08 PM »
This Saturday, Jan 21st, we have the youth expo in Indep from 1-3.  If you would like to promote disc to kids and adults please come by.  We also have some putters donated from the club as prizes for this weekend.  If you got any  plastic that you would like to get rid we would be glad to use it as prizes for kids and parents. 

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Indep Youth Sports Expo- Jan 21st, 1-3pm; Blue Springs Expo Jan 28, 9-1
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 11:52:35 AM »
Just giving a heads up from last Saturday. 

Turnout was somewhat slow like last year.  They are trying to advertise better.  We talked to at least 25 kids and they all competed in putting contest.  The event is still a great way to get US out there and promote the sport.

Next week at BS will be a better event.  They get better participation and it is more organized. 

On another note, it will be really nice to have our mission statement done so we can get some business cards made to hand out to folks.  I would love for the board, course coordinators, and other influential golfers to have cards to hand out to folks.