Author Topic: 2012 GBO - April 13th-15th  (Read 5168 times)

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
2012 GBO - April 13th-15th
« on: January 12, 2012, 09:40:19 AM »
Registration is open, and entrys are flying in. It looks like we play on tee times, one round per day, three days. Two of the courses are on ball golf courses, and the other round is at Jones, but not the normal Jones East or West, but a hybrid Jones called the championship layout.  8)

This event filled last year around 8 weeks prior, so if you are considering it, don't procrastinate too long.  ;D

There is a lot of stuff going on that weekend. It's gonna be big.  8)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 04:05:25 PM by Kevin Montgomery »

Old Pike Mike

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 GBO
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 11:33:32 AM »
How long can we procratinate?  Are the tourney dates listed on the KCFDC message board or on the DD website?  I know its likely on the PDGA website; but, that seems to be the slowest website known to man. 

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 11:49:14 AM »
Maurice Richard Gleauzinier
Freelance Flight Tightener
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com
Please be quiet when people are throwing

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 03:37:23 PM »
How long can we procratinate?  Are the tourney dates listed on the KCFDC message board or on the DD website?  I know its likely on the PDGA website; but, that seems to be the slowest website known to man. 

As Maurice noted, the GBO site can answer many questions. The pools are shown, along with the field size for each divsion. With that infornation, and the PDGA event schedule list, one can easily see how many spots may be available in each division. Of course, the PDGA site may or may not be kept up with the flow of registrants.

smitty

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 08:39:31 PM »
Building on last year's record of 354 competitors, the tenth edition is going to be the most prestigious GBO to date! Players and fans alike will be "Livin' the Dream" for three rounds on three different courses. In addition to the Emporia Country Club and the Jones Championship Gold Layout, the 2012 GBO will feature a round on the Emporia Municipal Golf Course. All courses will run on tee times this year allowing people to follow the leaders, participate in the Discraft "Just Focus" putting competion, drop bombs in the Skywalker Gymnastic Long Drive competition, check out Dynamic Discs Headquarters, or just kick back relax and save your energy for you personal pursuit of a championship.

Three rounds of golf may not be enough for some die hard golfers. To help satisfy the need for more golf, two separate C-Tier 'One Round Challenges' will be available at Peter Pan Park both Friday and Saturday. Each event is separate and features a flex start so that you can play either before or after your GBO round. Rounds usually take 1.5 hours to play in a smaller tournament setting.

Our motto once again is "Livin' the Dream". And we want to make sure you're living it from the moment that you start your travels until the time you get back home. We understand that making the GBO a three day event will take a tremendous commitment from you. Your commitment and support the last 9 years have helped the GBO grow into a great event, and we expect nothing less this April! Our generous sponsors have stepped up in a big way this year and are donating more than ever before to make sure that you make the Glass Blown Open and Emporia your disc golf destination event for 2012.

Tee times and this year's 3 Day/ 3 Round format are just a part of Dynamic Discs's continuing effort to move the sport forward, interest more players, expand media attention, and help put disc golf in front of more players than ever in the Midwest region. Our expectations are high. The GBO is more than just a disc golf tournament; it's a celebration of the sport and an indication of where it is going in the very near future. Without the PLAYERS and the support from YOU, DD events would be just another tourney! Thank you so much for your support and drive to help us take disc golf to a new level. Together we will create some attention and excitement from outside the sport. So while we're making memories to last a lifetime, we'll also be helping to grow the game we all love!

We're looking forward to seeing you in Emporia, KS this April. For complete event details please visit www.GlassBlownOpen.com

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 03:13:22 PM »
THanks Smitty!!!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 09:31:30 AM »
Myself, Tank, and Mr. Tom Butler played the Jones Gold the other day, along with 15 other folks.  It's a long one!  Also, according to E-Mac, it's the shortest layout of the three courses.  Pretty cool, but, bring an arm! (and hope the wind isn't blowing like it was Sunday....lol)  ::)  8)
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

smitty

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 10:43:21 AM »
I don't think the Jones layout will be the shortest of all the courses. The Country Club will be almost the same layout as it was previously with a few minor changes. It is already shorter then the layout that you played at Jones with Eric. Factor in the fact that both 17 and 18 will most likely be unplayable do to the pond being "fixed" and that will shorten the total length also. The Municipal is yet to be designed, so it is hard to tell what it's length will be.

There are more then just the top players in the world involved in this event. I don't know how much enjoyment an am Women with a max drive of 220 feet would have playing 3 monster courses.

There is a fine line that must be found. That line will both challenge the top players and not devastate the lesser players.

Smitty

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 10:54:20 AM »
Myself and others were wondering about the 17th and 18th hole, as myself and others got "sucked in" by the mud, and lost some shoes...lol (and socks...)   :o We couldn't really see those fairways being played, especially if it rained....messy messy.  I also heard that the pin placements would be different as well....some of them anyway.
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 12:52:11 PM »
As of today, 01-18-12, 101 pre-registered playas on the list.......  8)

kidmills

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 06:07:47 PM »
I don't think the Jones layout will be the shortest of all the courses. The Country Club will be almost the same layout as it was previously with a few minor changes. It is already shorter then the layout that you played at Jones with Eric. Factor in the fact that both 17 and 18 will most likely be unplayable do to the pond being "fixed" and that will shorten the total length also. The Municipal is yet to be designed, so it is hard to tell what it's length will be.

There are more then just the top players in the world involved in this event. I don't know how much enjoyment an am Women with a max drive of 220 feet would have playing 3 monster courses.

There is a fine line that must be found. That line will both challenge the top players and not devastate the lesser players.

Smitty
i sure do agree with that

smitty

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 11:54:43 AM »
PROMO VIDEO

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 01:32:59 AM »
I'm signed up! Didn't sign up for the putting or distance thing, just another way to lose my money lol.

I'll be looking around the next few weeks for people to ride and hotel with.

coops

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 10:43:17 AM »
What is the Jones layout like?

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 11:19:15 AM »
What is the Jones layout like?

This is starting plan on the KDGA website...

Projected Jones Gold course up to this point:

Hole 1 East - Right pin
Hole 2 East - New Left pin (or standard long pin)
Hole 3 East - Right pin
Hole 4 East - Left pin
Hole 8 East - Left pin
Hole 9 East - Left pin
Hole 10 East
Hole 11 East - Long pin
Hole 7 East to Hole 5 East
Hole 6 East - Right pin
Hole 12 East - Left pin
Hole 13 to 5 West Right pin
Hole 6 West - Right pin
Hole 7 West to Hole 15 East Right pin