Author Topic: New Dynamic Discs Store  (Read 3388 times)

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
Re: New Dynamic Discs Store
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 09:40:10 AM »

At any rate, this just feels like the club has sold out. If the KCFDC is going to be getting all this money from Dynamic Discs, they certainly won't be needing mine anymore.

Looking forward to USING the courses that DD will so graciously be helping to "provide". If you hear an airhorn go off in mid-putt-stroke during any of these 10 events, just know that HaterAde is never far away. 8)

I don't think the club has "sold out" at all in this situation. To my knowledge this really doesn't have anything to do directly with the club anymore than any other outside entity. In discussions about events it has already been made clear that the policy of a per-head contribution to the club will be in place for all events just like the PDGA gets their cut for sanctioned events. DD, DGW, LSDiscs, Gateway and all the other vendors and folks running events know full well the effort that the KCFDC and its members has put forth over the years getting courses in the ground, building relationships with local governments and parks departments and maintaining our courses.

Now, I will say that with the advent of a new store in town it is important  that they know that this forum is not a place to announce sales or do any other marketing except for announcing and promoting events. We've always had a policy of keeping out advertising.... and we also have a policy of no personal attacks...

« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 09:49:33 AM by Kevin Montgomery »
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Ash

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 11:06:37 AM »
Can't you already buy discs right there at OK Joe's? A little like building a Walgreen's directly across from where a CVS has been for years. But they do it all the time anyway.

Actually Kevin it seems more like building a Walgreen's next to a gas station that has a small selection of medicine.
Ash Lawrence
KCFDC # 994

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 11:18:52 AM »
Can't you already buy discs right there at OK Joe's? A little like building a Walgreen's directly across from where a CVS has been for years. But they do it all the time anyway.

Actually Kevin it seems more like building a Walgreen's next to a gas station that has a small selection of medicine.

True....  But in this case since drug stores are already all over town and in demand by nearly 100% of the population but DG stores are a more specialized product, having two large stores in the same town is similar to the across the street scenario. At least that's analogy I was going for.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Ash

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 12:40:44 PM »
Oh, got ya. It is a little close. But hopefully as mentioned before, DG is big enough in KC to support both.
Ash Lawrence
KCFDC # 994

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 07:21:26 PM »
How exactly do you think the KCFDC is "in bed" with DD?????

Maybe if you came to a BoD meeting, you could see what our agenda is, each and every meeting, and what we talk about, COMPLETELY open to any and all members... Dynamic Discs are running events, they give per/person money like any other vender, vending an event to the club. They are adding 500$ to a C tier event, they're running in March, that's not even required by the pdga. They want to run 10 more events here in the KC area. This opens up a ton more events for our members to participate in...!

Which is our focus, be the voice of our members...

This is a great thing for our Club members.

You have no idea how much of a jackass you sound like when you make accusations like this? I know you don't care, but lemme stop your asinine posts before you trap yourself in your moms basement, stay in your pajamas for 3 weeks, and type yourself into the "second coming of internet banter!" Paranoia is the first stage, than Sociopath ism, soon to follow...
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

HaterAde

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 07:54:22 PM »
How exactly do you think the KCFDC is "in bed" with DD?????

Maybe if you came to a BoD meeting, you could see what our agenda is, each and every meeting, and what we talk about, COMPLETELY open to any and all members... Dynamic Discs are running events, they give per/person money like any other vender, vending an event to the club. They are adding 500$ to a C tier event, they're running in March, that's not even required by the pdga. They want to run 10 more events here in the KC area. This opens up a ton more events for our members to participate in...!

You have no idea how much of a jackass you sound like when you make accusations like this? I know you don't care, but lemme stop your asinine posts before you trap yourself in your moms basement, stay in your pajamas for 3 weeks, and type yourself into the "second coming of internet banter!" Paranoia is the first stage, than Sociopath ism, soon to follow...

Man, don't be so hard on matty and Loomis. They're both really good guys who care immensely about disc golf in KC. You really ought to reconsider your words there.

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 11:37:15 AM »

It CAN be a great thing for club members. One thing Rick has always done is to try and make sure the club is taken care of when he ran events. That not only includes paying club fees/dues, but also includes not crowding out any current club events that the club makes more money on than just $1.50/head (or whatever the fee is these days).  DGW sometimes ran club events (including Wide Opens) as club events, meaning the club basically made the nut on the tournament, and anything DGW made was from selling the club plastic (at a heavy discount).  The club needs to make sure that neither DD or DGW are taking too many good weekends and crowding the club out. The club depends on revenues from tournaments and leagues to function, as well as membership dues. Taking any of those three things out of the equation will hurt the club's ability to function both politically and economically
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

five2loves42

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 10:05:28 AM »
.... and we also have a policy of no personal attacks...

and this is followed so well....:)
Even a bad day on the disc-golf course beats ANY day at work! -
Tom V.

Loomis

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 02:40:59 PM »
My concerns have not been expressed in this thread, so what exactly am I being associated with? I'm sorry, I haven't been paying attention.

Loomis

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 02:53:12 PM »
Just caught up... Okay... I'm excited to hear that there are 10 "new" events coming to the KC area this year. Just what exactly are these 10 new events? Are they actually new events or are they taking events which were previously run by the club and running those? So if we make a list of the tournaments we have here (every now and then)

KC Wide Open, Mighty Mo, City of Fountains, Olathe Open, KanUWyco, Those are the PDGA events.

Are they taking over control of these tournaments? Is there going to be a profit margin from each of these tournaments? What is the cut for DD and what is the cut for the club?

H2Open, Swope Spring thingy, Rosedale Ams, Club Championships, The LS disc tournament, RamNin. Those are the non Sanctioned events I can recall.

Are they taking over control of these tournaments and again, are they going to share the profits?

So there is a lot of fluff coming out of certain people about the good or bad of DD coming to town. I guess I would like to hear more about what the positives are to their presence other than "they are going to run some tournaments" and "they are going to add 500 bucks." Both of those are wonderful things to hear, but the details are a bit hazy. Be more substantial and direct in your commentary.

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 10:15:41 PM »
Okay, I couldn't resist and had to weigh in on this.

First and foremost, Arthur's, Gate's, and LC's blow Okey Joe's away. But I'll eat a Carolina or a Z-man in a heart beat.   :)

I gotta agree with Kevin and Cooper, and as a result, I have to agree with Mike and Loomis. Yes, it is capitalism at work. There is a market which I think can support more than one DG store, and so does DD and investors.
Mike and Loomis are correct that any for profit business has a primary goal. Now, I do not agree with the tone of some of the comments (my opinion) as both DG retailers in town are and have been generous and supportive because it just makes sense to perpetuate the business they are involved in. Ultimately, this makes KC even better for disc golfers and the sport over all. True, we may not all agree on how profiteering is done, yet it is a result of the system which makes disc golf possible.

Even with my rational understanding of the system, I do think there is some merit to concerns of a "take over" which we have seen manifested as a shared perception of competition. This competition is not on the retail level but the club level.
Chappy has a point of making sure club events are not crowded out by DGW or DD events, while both support, they do not serve the same purposes, and members would see the difference over time.

Agree? Disagree? All the more reason to weigh in on the club mission statement.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:23:22 PM by ekolk »

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2012, 07:48:21 AM »
These are the events that I know DD is involved in this year:

Kan-U-WyCo
Rosedale Open
Kansas City Wide Open (running the B-Tier)

I believed they helped Tom last year with the Old Settlers Open, so that one is probably on the list as well.

They've also expressed interest in running a food drive at Olathe in the near future.

Captklank

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2012, 08:42:59 AM »
I have been trying to get ahold of Jeremy for over a month now,Phone calls to the store No return calls,I have talked to the people that will be running the store here No return calls from Jeremy.I have tried to leave a voice message a text message.And still no return calls.

I hope the future of the relationship with DD and the KCFDC goes better then the experiance that I am having.
Team Ls Discs

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2012, 09:53:09 AM »
I have had nothing but possitive things come from DD.  They will be the main sponsor for the Ram'N'Salmon outside of Cade and Myself.  Jeremy is very busy but seems to e-mail atleast once or twice a week and awnsers pretty much everytime I call.

Billy, maybe you don't have the correct contact info....or maybe an LSDiscs sponsored player doesn't help your case!!

I can't wait for the new store, especially since it will be alot closer for me personally than Fred Smith's house.  Speaking of that guy, I think he still owes me a disc!

There will be nothing bad about DD coming to town....everything they bring to the table will be great for the community and we should welcome them with open arms instead of all this junk that is going on.  The KCFDC now has the oppurtunity to make more money on events, especially if we can create competition for club events.

Now stop your complaining and get out and play!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 10:54:18 AM by Slant »
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

bensdadfred

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2012, 09:55:46 AM »
Alot closer?? you mean 3 minutes......
2 Things: Don't sweat the small stuff & everything is small stuff!