Author Topic: park plan disc golf course  (Read 679 times)

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
park plan disc golf course
« on: April 20, 2006, 12:05:06 AM »
The Lake Lenexa park plan certainly does not show the exact location of the future disc golf course, just an approximate location.  I anticipate the final course design to utilize the open field in the middle of the park, as well as a few holes just to the west of the main lake largest cove.  There could possibly be one or two tee shots over water, as well as many holes in the trees.  The elevation changes, a few longer open holes, and some very tight, technical wooded holes should make this a very fun, challenging and scenic course.  Lenexa Parks and Rec has plenty of money for the course.  Expect excellent tee pads, tee signs, the best baskets, benches, etc. to be utilized.  They want to make this a truly outstanding course, one that hopefully will attract experienced players and beginners alike.  We should be presenting a preliminary design within the next few weeks.   I'm looking forward to the next course in Johnson County.  Who knows, after this is in the ground, maybe other municipalities in Johnson County (Overland Park, Leawood,etc.) may contact us to put other courses in.

PrairieHomePutter

park plan disc golf course
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 06:15:21 AM »
I am sure none of us thought that was the actual course layout; it is just nice that they actually mention it on the map. Plus, it makes it a little easier to envision what the park will look like once the lake fills up and construction is finished. It will be strange to have the larger road with the traffic circle, i kinda like how the area is one of the rare pockets of JOCO that hasnt been overdeveloped. I guess you have to make a park out of land around here to keep it from turning into houses and strip malls.

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
park plan comments
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 11:40:34 AM »
I assume you're talking about Monticello Rd that is going to have a circle.  Lenexa Parks & Rec expects there to be a high usage for the new park, therefore they have to improve the roads.  The real purpose of this particular park is flood control.  Since this area of land is being utilized as flood control they may as well make a park out of it.  Disc golf was viewed as a favorable activity in the new park.  They didn't want soccer fileds, tennis courts, basketball courts, a swimming pool, etc.  It was a stroke of luck really that I found out about a Lenexa municipal meeting a number of years ago, where they were going to talk about a smaller proposed park right near my house.  At the meeting I found out about this new park.  We (Jake Carmack and myself) told the people attending the meeting about the advantages of disc golf.  I didn't hear anything about it until a few months ago.  Anyway, a new park with a disc golf course is MUCH BETTER than any strip mall or row of expensive homes.