Author Topic: De Blizz-erd Plas-tique!  (Read 3747 times)

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: De Blizz-erd Plas-tique!
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 08:10:13 PM »
Word on the street is that David Wiggins tossed a light weight BOSS and a KATANA over 800 feet.

He threw two discs at the same time and they went 800 feet?! Awesome is that even legal?  :)

Joking aside, I picked up one of these blizzard plastiques today and look forward to finessing it into distances yet unknown to me.

Loomis

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 08:17:29 PM »
I throw full weight Pro Destroyers and then only the small "P DS" ones. They are not overstable but they hold a good line. When there are too many trees, I throw a full weight Star Destroyer. It mimics the Pro Destroyers but holds it's durability longer. When I throw into a heavy headwind or need my drive to finish hard LEFT, I throw a 163 Star Destroyer. It's much more stable than most of the Xcals or Firebirds I have used in the past.

I don't know if the lighter weight stability rules will hold true with this blizzard plastic. I do know that you need to take some time to get used to it. The extreme weight makes them super flippy if you are used to a serious SNAP at the end of your throw. And by serious snap I mean that you release the disc off the "snap" of your index finger and thumb "pinch." If you throw the disc where the disc comes off of your two middle fingers, it holds the stability better. It will take some getting used to. It took Minna about twenty minutes, but when she got it, she was crushing it.

I can't say that all lighter weight discs are more stable than their full weight counterparts. I think it's unique to each disc. I think the "stiffer" the disc and the "domey-er" the disc the more stable it will be.

The jury is out on the blizzard until warmer weather and a full volley of throws allow for a full review. For now - I have chucked it a ridiculous long way in the cold and it doesn't suck.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 08:21:04 PM by Loomis »

Jake B

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 10:21:42 AM »
I bought a 145 Destroyo and a 153 Boss. So far I've only got to throw them a handful of times, and my feelings are mostly, meh. I was under the impression from reading Dave Dunipace's original posting on these, that they were supposed to have the same flight characteristics as their big brothers (even with max torque).  I found that they are much more fickle than their heavier counter parts. And while the advantages might be greater on a hot calm day or with a tailwind, as yet to be tested, they seem likely to end up in my 11 yr old's bag. However, not until I'm sufficiently dissatisfied.

I will note that the Destroyer I got was flatter than any of the others at DGW.

Loomis

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 10:52:26 AM »
It takes some getting used to, but once you figure out the snap, it has an incredible amount of glide. You can torque it, but you have to know the limits to make it work out correctly.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 12:09:37 PM »
I bought a 145 Destroyo and a 153 Boss. So far I've only got to throw them a handful of times, and my feelings are mostly, meh. I was under the impression from reading Dave Dunipace's original posting on these, that they were supposed to have the same flight characteristics as their big brothers (even with max torque).  I found that they are much more fickle than their heavier counter parts. And while the advantages might be greater on a hot calm day or with a tailwind, as yet to be tested, they seem likely to end up in my 11 yr old's bag. However, not until I'm sufficiently dissatisfied.

I will note that the Destroyer I got was flatter than any of the others at DGW.

i think you're going to have to learn to tone that power down big guy!

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 01:22:50 PM »
for distance nikko promotes the cannon <designed by the rico bros.> in this recent clip, makes me a believer in those high lines the youngsters are taking these days

espouse elucidation

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 04:11:29 PM »
I like the stuff Rico and Legacy Discs are coming out with.  Waiting for the Cannon to be released in Protege plastic.  The initial release in Icon plastic seems to be limited to 174 or 175 grams which is too much for my weenie arm.

If anyone wants a First Run Blue Rampage in Pinnacle plastic 174 grams, hit me up.  I'll let it go for 5 bucks.  Only been thrown a handful of times. 
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

Jake B

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 04:36:31 PM »
I'll give you 5 for it. PM me

KCVinnie

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 09:03:14 PM »
Played an entire round today with only my Blizzard Destroyer and a putter.  Figured out that if I throw it like my max weight Roadrunner on a hyzer flip it will fly straight.

Off subject, but the course I played today in West Virginia made Water Works look flat.  Not sure there is a flat piece of ground in this entire state.
Vince
"Driving for show, putting for dough."
2014 Bag Tags: 185 to 8 to 202

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 09:04:57 PM »
You try throwing a tomahawk with it yet Vinnie?

KCVinnie

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 09:13:51 PM »
Not yet, ball golf trip to RTJ trail is this week and I don't want to throw out my back before it.  :)
Vince
"Driving for show, putting for dough."
2014 Bag Tags: 185 to 8 to 202

savagesam

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 04:43:12 PM »
Just bought and tested 2 Blizzard Boss's (137,138) out at SMP. Beautiful day out there. Hardly any wind. Now my main drivers are an 172 ESP Nuke and 170 Champ Orc. Both pretty straight, the Nuke slightly understable (no wind). I found these discs very easy to throw. Slightly more stable than my seasoned Orc. For me they were very consistent. No adjustment at all. I had 3 or 4 holes where I threw my longest drives ever on those particular holes. I'm not one that usually jumps on the "Latest and Greatest" Bandwagon but you might want to give one of these a try.
"ROC N ROLL"

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2012, 09:42:26 PM »
After four rounds of throwing a 150 blizzard wraith, I have noticed a steady fifty foot improvement from the tee. Sometimes longer, some shorter, but east to throw and fairly consistent. This disc is not for big arms though. I am throwing a fan grip with a bit of snap instead of a  tight, fast  power grip.

This technology may help to level the playing field for all but the highest divisions. But again, I do not think these are for power drivers at all. If you grip and rip, this will flip every  time.

All in all, it isn't going to replace my control drivers but it will be in the bag.

bbjon

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2012, 07:57:26 PM »
I'm not sold on this plastic.  I got a 130 ish Katana and have only gotten two shots that didn't flip over.  Granted I played waterworks, and that may have been a bad course to test on.  I threw my buddies 150ish boss and had better results.  Playing swope tomorrow, but I'm thinking i won't be spending much time or energy on this disc.  Good concept, and for some people it will probably work great.  I'm not sure its for me though.
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

skinner

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2012, 11:07:44 AM »
it seems the real light weight katana is super flippy but all the other discs are closer to their max weight counterpart.  the 150g boss does really well but the 137g katana flipped so hard i sold it 2 days after buying it.