Author Topic: De Blizz-erd Plas-tique!  (Read 3790 times)

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
Re: De Blizz-erd Plas-tique!
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2012, 12:41:11 PM »
Just played two rounds at swope with my 134g katana and it took me a while to get used to it flipping but about midway through the second round I was 400-500 ft bombs. My 134 destroyer was hitting about the same as my 150 Nuke. Both were holding lines with great glide. I'm sold!
Throw farther, not harder...
PDGA#52809
2014 Tags: 20

bbjon

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2012, 03:23:51 PM »
I had better results with my Katana today. When i wasn't hitting trees, and used more of a putter grip, I got good glide.  I still can't het any distance out of it, though because as soon as I put any power behind it, it flips over and i can't control it.
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Jake B

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2012, 08:23:49 PM »
Thats because its a Katana. Get a Boss or Destroyer and make sure they're domey.

coops

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2012, 09:23:42 PM »
Has anyone noticed any differences in the blizzards with respect to bubble placement? I have a couple destroyers (134 and 144) with no bubbles in the middle and have seen some promise with them but am far from convinced. The thought occurred to me that if there are more bubbles in the middle (and hence less weight stolen from the rim) they may be easier to keep the speed up. Also, since in mine the bubbles are all towards the outside it seems to make the wing rougher, not smooth and glassy like you would expect from a champion disc. Doubt that does too much but it overall just feels different.

WrongfulLeaf

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2012, 08:20:39 AM »
I saw alot of people out at beer league throwing them yesterday, so I gave them a shot after the round with April's 133ish boss. I threw from pad 3 and parked it at 1 at Swope. It flipped but it was pretty much flat throughout its entire flight. I also tested a 150 boss at Rosie in the afternoon and had mixed results. I was throwing it along with my max weight boss and destroyer just to see the differences. It was usually further than my max weight discs but I had an issue with releasing it at too high of an angle so it lost a lot of life. I'm going to pick up a light weight boss and a 150, and just play with them only for a while and see how it goes. It seems like if you toss max weight along with them the release is a little different. Oh and I was using full power throws with the 150 boss and never had any issues with it flipping as long as I did not roll my wrist at the end. But I must say by watching everyone at BL yesterday.......this does extend your game! April was throwing really well with them, Gabby was throwing a great round, and Chris and a few others are still learning them but you can see the distance improvement on a number of holes.

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2012, 09:10:41 AM »
It was usually further than my max weight discs but I had an issue with releasing it at too high of an angle so it lost a lot of life.

I noticed the high release. That was the hardest thing to correct for me once I learned to muscle down a little...
Throw farther, not harder...
PDGA#52809
2014 Tags: 20

Loomis

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2012, 09:27:36 AM »
A couple things that might help you make the transition to the lighter weight...

1. The first throw you make with it, and maybe the first ten throws, should be standing still and with half speed. Get used to the weight and the flight before you start walking into the throw and using your full power.

2. To make sure you're throwing it correctly, first take your regular driver and throw it LEFT handed (for you lefties, I'm sorry, there is nothing that can be done for you. You're evil and that's that.) Throw leftie for a few holes and pay attention to what you're doing in your technique. This should help you slow down and use proper technique RIGHT handed.

3. This is not a TORQUE disc. You can use torque, but you have to be really comfortable with "low, hyzer" releases to do so. Until then, you have to under-power the throw.

4. If you are having issues with "flipping" try releasing the disc with your two middle fingers in the power grip and NOT the "pinch" of the forefinger and thumb. This should keep the spin down until you get the low-hyzer flip technique under control.

5. If your drive is coming out HIGH RIGHT. You're trying to kill it. Slow down.

I hope this helps. If you need further assistance, I would be glad to come work with you.

mikedopen

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2012, 09:50:33 AM »
A couple things that might help you make the transition to the lighter weight...

1. The first throw you make with it, and maybe the first ten throws, should be standing still and with half speed. Get used to the weight and the flight before you start walking into the throw and using your full power.

2. To make sure you're throwing it correctly, first take your regular driver and throw it LEFT handed (for you lefties, I'm sorry, there is nothing that can be done for you. You're evil and that's that.) Throw leftie for a few holes and pay attention to what you're doing in your technique. This should help you slow down and use proper technique RIGHT handed.

3. This is not a TORQUE disc. You can use torque, but you have to be really comfortable with "low, hyzer" releases to do so. Until then, you have to under-power the throw.

4. If you are having issues with "flipping" try releasing the disc with your two middle fingers in the power grip and NOT the "pinch" of the forefinger and thumb. This should keep the spin down until you get the low-hyzer flip technique under control.

5. If your drive is coming out HIGH RIGHT. You're trying to kill it. Slow down.

I hope this helps. If you need further assistance, I would be glad to come work with you.

Maybe you can give me some pointers.... bahahahahahahahaha.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:52:53 AM by mikedopen »
Mike D

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2012, 10:05:34 AM »
don't you usually just throw Rocs from 500 and in, Mike?

mikedopen

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2012, 10:30:45 AM »

Yep.  ;)
 I just thought I could use some pointers from the"self proclaimed authority" on dgolf.  How much was he charging an hr?
 Who were some if his students? I'd like to get some reviews from them.
 Its between him and Don G lover.. ::)
Mike D

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2012, 10:41:17 AM »
Had a skip ace yesterday on hole #3 in Olathe with my 132 g Blizzard Destroyer.  I think I'm going to keep this thing.  :-)
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2012, 11:37:44 AM »

Yep.  ;)
 I just thought I could use some pointers from the"self proclaimed authority" on dgolf.  How much was he charging an hr?
 Who were some if his students? I'd like to get some reviews from them.
 Its between him and Don G lover.. ::)

Knowing both, I think I'd go with Loomis.  No offense Dong Lover, I mean, Don Glover.  ;D

Loomis

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2012, 01:50:56 PM »
I made no such proclamations about my authority or my abilities. Nor do I have a list of "students," I wasn't aware that it was necessary to have references to offer help to those who might be looking for it. And I also didn't say there was a fee for my assistance. But If you need some help, I'm sure we can find you some.

And I guess if you need a student reference, you could ask Minna. I taught her how to play two years ago. She won Bowling Green last year.

Loomis

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2012, 01:55:37 PM »
And Mike, If you disagree with my suggestions, I would love to hear some of yours. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would love to hear some advice from you about how to play? You've been playing a long, long time right? Certainly you have information you can share which would be helpful to others...

mikedopen

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2012, 02:12:05 PM »
And Mike, If you disagree with my suggestions, I would love to hear some of yours. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would love to hear some advice from you about how to play? You've been playing a long, long time right? Certainly you have information you can share which would be helpful to others...
I dont have a long list of credentials like yourself. So I dont offer up a bunch of unsolicited help.
  ::)
Mike D