Author Topic: Old and new courses  (Read 1414 times)

bbjon

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Old and new courses
« on: February 16, 2012, 03:50:44 PM »
As a kid I used to go to Oceans of Fun all the time.  I remember that by the water slides, there used to be a disc golf course.  Does anyone know what happened to that course, or if it's still around? 

I also have heard rumors of a new course going in Belton, so I looked around for more info on that.  Nothing about disc golf, but I did find out that the ball golf course is located at 4200 bong ave...  seriously?  Only in Belton! 
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Old and new courses
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 04:17:59 PM »
I remember the Oceans of Fun course.  I think it was 6 or 9 holes all on average about 50 ft.  I brought my own discs and birdied all of the holes. 
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 04:51:01 PM »
Nothing about disc golf, but I did find out that the ball golf course is located at 4200 bong ave...  seriously?  Only in Belton!

Eagles Landing.  They've got some of the finest bunkers in town.

matty

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 01:10:53 PM »
new course wilbur young jungle, aka youngle

1's long tee pad to 18's long basket
18 short pad to 17 right placement
17 short to 15 short drive before you hole out on the last one
tee 20' behind 3's pad to long 3- you'll see it
4 short tee to 13 short   leave your bag and stuFF by 14 short tee
14 short to 16
12 short tee to 5
6 short tee to 10
11 long to 9 long across the street
ramp between baseball fields to 1
1 short tee to 11 mando between the 2 locusts, keeps disc away from cars and shelter
9 short to 7
10 short to 6
throw from damn near 6's basket to 12
5 short to 4
5 long to 14
15 short to 2 that's seventeen holes and not using hole 8, an 18th would be the shot back to the practice basket after classic 18, but it's a hike from 2, so maybe play classic 16 on your way
15 short to 2
putt, putt, give.

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 04:16:02 PM »
I remember the Oceans of Fun course.  I think it was 6 or 9 holes all on average about 50 ft.  I brought my own discs and birdied all of the holes.
The course no longer exists. They had a couple longer and slightly difficult holes. I took my discs too one time while it was still there and got alot of strange looks. I laughed  cause they were using lightweight Frisbees that did nothing but turn over no matter how much you tried hyzering.
Steven Disc Glover

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 04:22:13 PM »
As a kid I used to go to Oceans of Fun all the time.  I remember that by the water slides, there used to be a disc golf course.  Does anyone know what happened to that course, or if it's still around? 

I also have heard rumors of a new course going in Belton, so I looked around for more info on that.  Nothing about disc golf, but I did find out that the ball golf course is located at 4200 bong ave...  seriously?  Only in Belton!
I know there either still is or or was a 9 hole course at a junior high in Belton but I cannot remember the name of the school or the name of the road. I can show you where it was or is.
Steven Disc Glover

tedkeith

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 06:18:57 PM »
The course no longer exists. They had a couple longer and slightly difficult holes. I took my discs too one time while it was still there and got alot of strange looks. I laughed  cause they were using lightweight Frisbees that did nothing but turn over no matter how much you tried hyzering.

I only birdied 8 of them and was not happy.

I played a Northland course for the first time today. There are nine holes in Platte City at Riverview Park. Pitch and putt but there is elevation, woods, and large fir trees. I even aced #8... with a Stingray of course.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 10:29:07 PM »
What....right before the wooded shot huh Ted?

Pitch and putt for certain, it is to have a feel of old school disc golf, and hopefully expanded soon!

Glad you got out there!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

tedkeith

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 11:24:56 PM »
Righto Jack, the open little downhiller.  Neenan and I played it twice today on our way to Atchison. A lot of fun and plenty of room for expansion. Longer pads could be used on many of the existing. Those pines are nasty!

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 11:18:29 AM »
Its to be a beginner friendly course that is fun to play!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

tedkeith

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 08:05:43 PM »
The course plays well backwards basket to basket too. It makes a good 18. Got paid today for basket on 1 and chains on 4. Those were both first shots. Our group of five had seven or eight metals with multiple drives on holes.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 09:43:53 AM »
Good to hear, its a fun ttract of land, that over time, and a little play should prove itself pretty darn fun for people of all ages.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

bbjon

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 02:37:56 PM »
I recently had a chance to play the course in Sedalia, MO also and it was fun for a short 9 hole course.  I'm assuming it's also ment for beginners since there is an RC track at the same park.  Almost all blind tee shots because of the cedar trees.  It will be a great place to take a buddy of mine who likes wide open bomb shots... what tag do you have now Matt?   ;D
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 02:50:33 PM »
I recently had a chance to play the course in Sedalia, MO also and it was fun for a short 9 hole course.  I'm assuming it's also ment for beginners since there is an RC track at the same park.  Almost all blind tee shots because of the cedar trees.  It will be a great place to take a buddy of mine who likes wide open bomb shots... what tag do you have now Matt?   ;D

Yes, that nine hole course was designed with beginners in mind.

The back nine is going in over the next few weeks. We already have Mach III baskets #10-#18 on hand. Big work day next Saturday the 10th. Plus, three bonus wooded holes are going in at the back of the park between the new #15 and #16. As those woods get expanded upon the plan is to have the original front nine become a nine hole beginner course once again and have a full eighteen hole course around the lake and in the woods at the back of the park. Twenty-seven holes at Clover Dell by next year, that's my goal.

Glad you enjoyed the short course. Although, there are three holes close to or over 400' in the current layout. Five of the holes have alternate pins and three have alternate tee boxes.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 04:01:49 PM »
Caught wind of a private 9 hole course near Lake Lotawana.  Home made baskets and sounds like a  labor of love.  Might be an opening event in the Spring/Summer.  Not sure how you get invited but will post more details if the owner desires.