Author Topic: distracting music while throwing  (Read 1815 times)

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
distracting music while throwing
« on: February 21, 2012, 08:00:37 AM »
am i out of line for asking the tunes be muted when i'm trying to throw a drive, upshot or any of my three putts on a hole? i'm ok with tunes during a bowlbreak or backup, even if it's eminem or scream-o, however i am continually distracted by music i don't want to hear when throwing, and golfer/dj's seem to think that their music and volume is just fine, even if only one golfer complains. i thought that rule #2 of disc golf covered this.

#1 be safe
#2 be courteous
#3 all holes are par 3
espouse elucidation

bensdadfred

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: distracting music while throwing
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 08:19:28 AM »
Will someone PLEASE get Jamie some cheese?........
2 Things: Don't sweat the small stuff & everything is small stuff!

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 08:59:54 AM »
I've been around so much music while playin the past year or so, now I'm distracted when there ISN'T music playin. It has to be reggae though.  8)

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 09:00:08 AM »
Will someone PLEASE get Jamie some cheese?........

He really likes the Black Eyed Peas...he just won't admit it!  :P
For a good time: Lat- 3925'8.92"N, Long- 9433'18.52"W

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 09:27:05 AM »
don't you dare say personally if you are broadcasting your music publicly. i shoot not so good rounds all the time, music or not by the way. it's great if you have an amp and speakers to override audible distractions for you i suppose. oh yeaah, back to the question, am i out of line for asking that tunes be muted when throwing?
espouse elucidation

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 10:19:23 AM »
Thats a good question, but one that really only comes to terms with our play in Leagues.  Casual rounds, you are at the beck and call of the group.....

Many times people used to ask if I minded, but that question has eroded over the last year, as more and more smart phones/ipods, etc....make their way into the equation.

http://www.pdga.com/rules/80101 -courtesy (B) produce any distracting noises......Music is not part of the game, earbuds should also be against the rules in my mind as many times the people listening to the music are completely CLUELESS to when its their turn, didn't watch the other people play, so now can't help for an errant shot, because they didn't know someone had thrown.....My next step in all honesty with people and earbuds is going to be when they are on the pad, and 30 seconds is done, they get par +4......watch it, because I will tick someone off with this ruling......same with throwing out of turn......
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 10:20:57 AM »
So Danger, IMHO (ok not so humble), you have every right to say shut it down during play, except of course casual play.....then you shold fine people more appropriately aligned with your thinking to play......there has to be someone out there that aligns with Danger on thoughts doesn't there?

Wow, now that is a crazy scary thought!!

;D ;)
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 10:39:07 AM »
i like my music loud and fierce, i just don't play it when my card is throwing out of courtesy. many times i pull up on the lot, or get pulled over by a cop, and i am asked to turn it off, not down, and i comply out of courtesy. yes, even at league, people play what they want, and some golfers even wear earbuds so as not to distract or be distracted. some even take mulligans and practice shots, it's cool as long as i'm not on the pad or trying to putt. unless the song is "hold on" by wilson-phillips, then rock on!
espouse elucidation

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 11:41:54 AM »
Play more sanctioned events and you will have zero music on the card, as far as local events/leagues, I say just play with people that don't play music... I like music, It's free focus training!!!

OR, Is this your lashing out cause we voted, unanimously, against your 2 dollar a league proposal?  :P
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

Ash

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 12:28:29 PM »
It seems acceptable to ask them to turn it off at the beginning of the round or whenever they start playing it. However it seems a little silly to allow them to play it and expect them to mute it while you are throwing.
Ash Lawrence
KCFDC # 994

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 12:39:53 PM »
thread drift on the 2 buck chuck, i play for cash even against tank on occaision, and i hope that this topic on music playing while golfers who do not want that distraction is taken seriously. i think everyone likes music and everyone likes golf and everyone likes less distraction while throwing. i am surprised that i am the only poster remotely concerned about this specific courtesy, but i'll still throw down, and mute my comments when others are throwing.
espouse elucidation

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 01:05:29 PM »
i like the mixture.  playing with people with music (and dogs) helps me practice maintaining focus should there be a distraction during a pdga event.  playing with a more strict card and mind-set at leagues leading up to a tournament makes the tournament atmosphere less of a shock.  not being against either philosophy allows me to play with different mixtures of opinions at leagues instead of just people who share my ideals all the time.  i will say, the week leading up to a tournament to which i have to spend the extra money to travel to, i would side with danger.  being that i dont travel that much any more, i don't usually care.  just my .02
Drew D Neitzel

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 01:36:40 PM »
thanks drew. sometimes when i really want to make a ten foot putt - i ask the other players to clear out and they do without any debate, it's that kind of instant courtesy that makes a round enjoyable.
espouse elucidation

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 03:56:47 PM »
I find music to be distracting while playing any type of competitive round.
I'd throw a round with you Jamie. I love donating!
Steven Disc Glover

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 04:13:25 PM »
i really appreciate your interpretation of what golf courtesy is. i am sure if you had any music to play on the course i would hate it. and i am sure if i asked you to turn it down or off while i am throwing, you would. tom is right on with the reggae though, and it really is up to 100% of the card to decide if the music plays.
espouse elucidation