Author Topic: Collegiate golf update  (Read 406 times)

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
Collegiate golf update
« on: February 21, 2012, 11:15:32 AM »
After failing to win the bid at the Alabama Slammer this past weekend, the University of Alabama will be making the 500+ mile trip to St. Louis to compete and hopefully earn their bid to Nationals. Looks like there will be an intense battle for the Nationals bid at the Gateway Collegiate Classic.UofADiscGolf
Bogey Poster

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: St. Louis Collegiate Qualifier
by SteveK on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:28 pm

Gateway Collegiate Classic Roster (paid entry) as of 2/20/12

Notre Dame
Western Illinois University

Murray State - A Team
Purdue University
Southern Illinois Carbondale
Lindenwood University
University of Kansas
University of Arkansas
University of Illinois
espouse elucidation

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Collegiate golf update
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 12:00:58 PM »
quote from #1 ranked university of arkansas:

The Gateway Collegiate Classic will be the largest collegiate disc golf tournament ever organized since the inception of collegiate disc golf (other than the National Championships). I can't express how impressed I am with the help I have received in organizing this tournament. This has far exceeded my expectations. The cave event that we are organizing for the Friday before the tournament has been a HUGE pull for collegiate teams.

The tournament is reaching its expected capacity of 22 teams. This includes teams from a variety of cultures and geographic regions (Alabama, Notre Dame, Purdue, Illinois, to mention a few). With such a large field of teams, I have spoken with the coordinator of the National Collegiate Disc Golf Union and it is likely that the Gateway Collegiate Classic will receive two Nationals bids.

We highly encourage spectators for this tournament. I expect a very intense battle for the tournament title and also for the bids for Nationals. Collegiate tournaments are unlike most disc golf tournaments. These players will be playing for school pride. Teams will be supporting their school colors and jerseys. You may see blow up mascots, flags, pop-up tents, and even collegiate chants (you'll definitely be hearing Arkansas call the hogs).

Come check out this event! It will be a unique look at the promising future of collegiate disc golf and the sport of disc golf as a whole. 
espouse elucidation

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Collegiate golf update
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 12:02:31 AM »
collegiatge golf getting more serious each year: <alternate shot format, the way doubles SHOULD be played

"The second day’s format, to unfold at Endicott Park, called for an alternating team, alternating shot format that would pit two schools’ entire squads against each other per card. Purdue vs Arkansas, Illinois vs Western Illinois, and Murray State vs Ferris State at the top of the leaderboard, and teeing off near the end of the rolling-start tee times Coming into the day 3 strokes behind Western Illinois, Murray State charged past Ferris State over the 18 hole track to finish just one stroke shy of taking the Top Qualifying spot. Western Illinois, who had played Illinois to a Team Score-tie through Saturday’s two rounds, again found themselves square with their competitors after Sunday’s round, securing their Nationals’ Bid, and now in a playoff for the honor of a 2nd place finish in the event. After 3 extra holes, with the match being extended by big putts from the U of I squad on the first two holes, the Western Illinois Bulldogs showed their fight and walked away victorious."

Overall Finish:
 1) Purdue University
 2) Western Illinois University
 3) University of Illinois

Gateway Collegiate Classic NCDGC Bid Winners:
 1) Western Illinois
 2) Murray State

espouse elucidation