Author Topic: spreading straw bales this Saturday  (Read 488 times)

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
spreading straw bales this Saturday
« on: February 23, 2012, 12:45:52 PM »
I am working on securing a trailor load of straw for this Sat, Feb 25 at 10 am.  The course needs straw spread throughout to protect the seed that was put into the ground with a seed drill.  The parks department seeded the course thoroughly and we need to help protect the new growth. 

In addition, having a mild winter has led to more foot traffic on the grass versus foot traffic on snow or ice.  Getting this straw down now will help ensure better grow later.  Plus, being  a tighter course with less pin placements, the same areas get used more consistenly and wear down faster.     We are hoping to have Young Park looking fabulous for the KCWO this summer. 

Poison ivy spraying parties will be occuring later this year.  Stay tuned...

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
Re: spreading straw bales this Saturday
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 05:45:28 PM »
Do you know what kind of grass they used?  Lots of shade out there on those holes and needing something for PC to grow in low sunlight.
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 04:17:03 PM »
Straw may not be on site tomorrow.  Still working out the details and hoping to still make it happen.   The farm was sold recently and majority of bales  given away already.  If any local players interested in helping i will post later what i found out.  Very disappointing as far as losing a whole trailor of free straw.  When it sounds to good to be true, it usually is. 

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 09:24:26 PM »
No straw for tomorrow. 

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: spreading straw bales this SUNDAY at 11am
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 10:37:12 AM »
ON again off again, on again off again... sounds like a bad high school relationship.

We now have guaranteed delivery  of hay bales for Sunday, Feb 26.  If you would like to help we have couple things we can take care of.

1. dispersing the hay
2.  roping off areas with Caution tape  to encourage foot traffic to walk around
3.  mulching certain  tee pads
4.  putting down some rocks for stepping stones

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 01:02:11 PM »
We got a great deal of work done.  Thanks to Lance Dwyer  for donating metal stakes, we were able to rope several areas.  We also put down  over 15 bales of hay.  Some hay was  put down in roped off areas and other placed in open fairways, around boxes and tees.  Did some minor mulching around a couple baskets and tees.  Installed some stepping stones on elvated tee box to minimize erosion.  Good weekend of work.  Thanks to Eric Minton, and the Verstraetes. 

Several baskets will remain in certain location this Spring in hopes of building strong turf for the WO and for summer play.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 01:38:08 PM »
I was sooooo close to heading out there yesterday to play a round....now I am irritated that I didn't......Thanks John for the hard work, as well as the others mentioned!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"