Author Topic: Benefit for Becky Zallek in Des Moines 4/1 @ Grandview  (Read 607 times)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Benefit for Becky Zallek in Des Moines 4/1 @ Grandview
« on: March 15, 2012, 10:43:33 AM »
Becky has been battling cancer pretty severly over the last year for many of you that know her, you know her dedication to disc golf, and her wonderfully outgoing great persona that is a true gem to know.  Becky spearheaded many projects in Des Moines Disc Golf, and ran the Worlds up there in 2004.  She has been a pivotal person in all of disc golf in Des Moines for years, and if you have played in World's, or the Challenge, you understand what I am talking about.

She has Glioblastoma type 4 cancer (A severe brain cancer.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glioblastoma_multiforme ), she is a trooper, and I saw her yesterday afternoon, and she was smiling and all giddy to see me as well.  She lives very close to my mom, and I was working in Des Moines so I had to stop by.

There are plans right now to hold an event at Grandview Park to raise funds to help support her, and the request has been made to have some "collectible discs" become available for an auction.  I will be purging through my collection, and I asked for a list of discs in case some of you want to buy want is available as well.

Right now this is just getting underway, and it should be listed in the www.iowadg.com forum section underneath the Iowa Tour is where Steve Adkisson indicated to me that he would post information on this.

They just started to put this together last week or so, so it is a work in progress.

I am planning on heading up probably after the DUI on Saturday, and then returning on Sunday.  The plan is to have it run from 12-5, with golf, and games.  I plan on taking the Tic-Tac-Thro game up there with me, and maybe a few other games.

Chances are if you met Becky, you will be saddened by this news, but please remember she is very strong, but this is a tough scenario for her.

If you would like to donate discs to this event, please let me know and I will work on getting them to Steve.  If you want to head up there as a caravan, I could be persuaded to head up Sunday morning, and return in the evening as well.  Its a short trip to help enforce your support for a great person.

Thanks so much for reading!!

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Benefit for Becky Zallek in Des Moines 4/1 @ Grandview
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 11:52:27 AM »
http://iowadg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8191

For more information from the friends in Iowa!

Thanks,

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 07:08:59 PM »
Becky is such an awesome person...
!

God be with her...
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

Captklank

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 06:53:15 AM »
Becky is such a cool Lady,Come on Kc lets show some Love!
Team Ls Discs

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 10:14:57 AM »
I have no idea how I can get there for that, but I shall try. Becky is probably the best person equipped to handle her situation, and also the person least deserving of it.
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.