Author Topic: New Players 2012  (Read 6922 times)

BenC

New Players 2012
« on: March 27, 2012, 08:16:46 AM »
What a great night at Rosedale for the last unofficial round of new players league.  Yes, next week, April 2, it is for real.  Some of the scores were ridiculous but that just shows a lot of improvement has been made over the mild winter by people.  The 80% handicap based on last year didn't hurt either.

Adam Abernathy 36
Dale Walters       45
Andrew Walters  47
Chris Timko         54
Ben Crosby         56
Chris Millsap        57
Michael Taylor      59
Bobby Dietzel      65

We are going to have a great year with sponsorships from KCFDC, Dynamic Discs & Disc Golf World.  What does that mean?  Come out and see for yourself.

Expect the first mini clinic in May.  They may start out with top local players but I do have a commitment from a national tour player to stop in for a night.

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: New Players 2012
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 09:42:34 PM »
Monday, 6pm?
No entry fee?
What is a New Player?  My Kan-U-Wyco rating would have been a 836.
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

Dale W

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 09:22:46 AM »
New player league is simply a league for new/newer players to play with more experienced players.  This way, whether through active "coaching" or just watching the more experienced players, the newer player can get tips on throwing, rules, and play in general.  As Ben mentioned, he tries to get local pros to give clinics a few times during the season (usually meet at Swope for the clinics).  As of right now, we are starting at 5:30 so we can fininsh before dark.  Hope to see you there.
Sorry to hear about your luck!!!   :P

spinachio

• Pro Poster
  • Jeff Ozorkiewicz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 10:59:16 AM »
Do yall play tags at this?
PDGA# 51376

BenC

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 02:29:21 PM »
Yes, tags are in play and enough people with tags to make it worth while.

BenC

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 10:35:16 AM »
What a fantastic night at Rosedale Park last night for the official start of New Players League. 13 of the 21 people that started the round a little after 5:30 were first time players to the league.  Only two of those twenty-one left early for different reasons.  There was an ace on hole 7, but we are a free league with no ace fund so half of zero is still zero.  Tag 2 was the low tag and Matt successfully defended it.  Chris Millsap walked away with an Elite X Stratus for CTP.

Michael Taylor    50
Rich Latimer       50
Brandon Deere   51
Dave Valdeviez   51
Kevin Smith        52
Nate Carter        52
Matt Ecklund       54
Ben Crosby         54
Chris Millsap       55
Lee Killian             55
Ryan Keck          56
Adam Abernathy 57
Dave Moore        61
W. Harrison        63
Larry Walker       66
Bud Deere          67
Aaron Shanahan  69
Richard Rhone      77
Dylan Smith          79

Richard L

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 10:22:37 AM »
Ben, were these scores figured with handicaps? I know I shot 57 for +3 but nice to be listed over Brandon and Dave even if by mistake! :)
be vewy, vewy quiet, I'm hunting boidies!

BenC

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 02:09:07 PM »
Rich, I don't make mistakes.  I just figured you are such a decent guy I would take 7 strokes off your score, but now that you question me I am only going to take 2 off next week.

Yes, they are handicapped scores.  That is what I will be posting this year.

Richard L

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 02:43:41 PM »
alright! I'm sure I can shoot worse to score better, thanks! ;D
be vewy, vewy quiet, I'm hunting boidies!

GI Dave!

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 04:48:23 PM »
Hey Ben! U spelt my name wrong..... Valdiviez :'(

Kelly Markum

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 06:46:32 PM »
Hey Ben! U spelt my name wrong..... Valdiviez :'(

This made me laugh.  :)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

ptinkc

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://end-of-the-web.com
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 10:21:17 PM »
New Players and Women's Leagues on Monday night at Rosedale Park, will have a Dynamic Discs clinic starting at 5:30pm and will feature two of their Tour players Catrina Allen and Paul Ulibarri. They will put on a clinic for the players and whoever else would like to attend. Thanks and we hope to see you all there!
Three discs' in the hand is better than twenty in the bag!

BenC

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 10:24:40 AM »
This is an unscheduled clinic.  I did not have time to get information out to all the courses and stores in town but I am not going to say no when an opportunity like this comes up.  If you had planned on getting out tonight great.  Things will be a little different tonight because getting some advice from this caliber of players will raise your game more than playing a round and trying to figure it out on your own.  Like always we may have time to get out on the course and put into practice what has been passed on.  If you live on the East side of town, and don't usually come out, take the little extra time to get to Rosedale so you don't miss this.

ptinkc

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 06:59:46 AM »
A great big THANK YOU to all the players that showed up last night at our Dynamic Discs Clinic. There was over 50 people for this event. And a Thank You to Paul Ulibarri, Catrina Allen and Ken Franks for sharing their tips and technics with the people that showed up. The first question from the crowd was about the mental game and they all touched on that. Very interesting to hear the pros talk about what they go through. Then putting demos, and then Catrina starting throwing some 350' and longer drives. Catrina then worked with the girls for about an hour on their driving and putting. Paul and Tank threw some bombs also then worked personally with whoever had questions. All three pros said that was one of the biggest turnouts of players for a clinic that they had been a part of. Great time last night I hope everyone got something out of it.

ptinkc

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 06:04:39 PM »
The New Players and Women's League on Monday Night 4/16 at 5:30pm will feature Dynamic Discs Team Members Phil Arthur World Masters Champion, Paige Pierce Current Worlds Women's Champion and Paul McBeth from California. There could be a few others show up also. There will be a Question and Answer and then a distance demo by the top players in the world. This should give you time to play after the demo. I hope to see you all out there on Monday evening!