Author Topic: PDGA Rating System SUCKS!  (Read 1725 times)

kselrod

PDGA Rating System SUCKS!
« on: April 02, 2012, 08:54:29 AM »
The PDGA needs to do something about their rating system in comparison to divisions.  At Bowling Green this weekend REC Champions shot -9 down and would have finished 3rd place in BOTH INT and ADV.  COME ON PDGA...it's going to get to the point the ACTUAL Rec players don't play in tournaments because of ALL of the sandbagging.  Or it may already be there.

Just an opinion!

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: PDGA Rating System SUCKS!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 09:00:54 AM »
I fail to see how this supports how ratings suck.

The kid you're talking about blew his rating out of the water.   Look at the rounds that built his current 882 rating; he was a legit 880 player when his last rating was calculated.  It was calculated from 25 rounds as well, so it's not like his rating was built from a sparse collection.  In fact, his highest rated round was 946 prior to this event.  He simply shot 100 points better than that consistently.  There's no ratings formula that's going to predict someones shooting over 2 1/2 standard deviations over their rating.

Ratings do suck, but this isn't good evidence of that.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 09:37:36 AM »
The PDGA needs to do something about their rating system in comparison to divisions.  At Bowling Green this weekend REC Champions shot -9 down and would have finished 3rd place in BOTH INT and ADV.  COME ON PDGA...it's going to get to the point the ACTUAL Rec players don't play in tournaments because of ALL of the sandbagging.  Or it may already be there.

Just an opinion!

You also have to keep in mind that the Int/Rec players played a completely different set of courses than Advanced did since they're in different pools.  Shooting -9 on Basil Griffin, Preston Miller and Hobson is different than -9 at Phil Moore, Longs at Kerieakes, and Longs at White.  I'm not sure if the courses were for those pools or are even remotely accurate, but having played the Bowling Green courses, some are MUCH harder than others.

kselrod

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 03:07:01 PM »
OK, I get the different courses in different pools theory.  But I guess my biggest complaint is having a 92? rated player playing in REC (which didn't happen in this scenario).  The PDGA needs to restructure their division rating requirements.  There is a HUGE skill difference between a 92? and an 85? or 86? rating.  I think around 900 should be the cut off for REC division is what I guess I'm saying.  I can even understand blowing your wad and/or rating by shooting lights out.  But to see players with ratings just under 930 playing REC isn't right (that's sandbagging for payout).  I'm a Rec player with a horrible putting game and play up in Int for competitive reasons.  But none of my friends want to play Rec because it's just a donation.  I LOVE the way Dynamic Discs does most if not all of their tournaments (Rec is trophy only + extra players pack merch).  It gives the TRUE Rec player a chance to compete with mostly other true Rec players with maybe chance to one day move up to Int.  The same could be said with Advanced players playing down in Intermediate.  I just think the powers to be could come up with a solution to help eliviate this.  And after that maybe they could cure cancer...feed the hungry...and find shelter for the homeless!

Because this tirade is miniscule when you come down to it, I understand that!!!

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 03:52:40 PM »
To sign up for Rec in a PDGA tournament, a player's rating must be under 900.  935 is the cut off for Intermediate.

kselrod

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 09:22:15 PM »
I just realized a flaw in my opinion and would like to strike all comments and finish with a "Senator I do not recall!"

Utz

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 10:37:12 AM »
My only complaint is how long the ratings take to update. Where you could have a decently high rated player hiding behind his non-updated rating. oh well I guess we'll see in May...
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
Utz, Don't forget about your two rounds of 999 at Wyco... Do they factor that in when calculating your rating?

Utz

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 12:13:45 PM »
Did some digging on the PDGA website:

If you do not complete a round (indicated in event scores as DNF or 999), it is not included in your ratings round count.
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 12:16:17 PM »
Heyoooo

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 01:49:07 PM »
Utz, Don't forget about your two rounds of 999 at Wyco... Do they factor that in when calculating your rating?

Some people will play all the round and quit if they are playing bad to protect their rating.........I on the otherhand will intentionally play poorer (yes it is possible Palmer) to avoid playing with certain people, and care less about my rating.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 01:55:32 PM »

Some people will play all the round and quit if they are playing bad to protect their rating.........I on the otherhand will intentionally play poorer (yes it is possible Palmer) to avoid playing with certain people, and care less about my rating.....

how'd you figure out my secret?

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 04:03:54 PM »
Your quitting to keep it artificially DE-flated......kinda like your trivia guesses huh? :P ::)
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 04:34:40 PM »
Your quitting to keep it artificially DE-flated......kinda like your trivia guesses huh? :P ::)

Never man.  I don't 999 at movie trivia.  Did Demian tell you that we won last week?  And that we also won a cameo in a movie?

Oh, and for what it's worth, I've never DNF'd a round.  If it's going badly, it's just a rating.

Loomis

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 09:26:48 AM »
I will say that the ratings are not always a good indicator of talent. All to often there are players who have a higher ratings who play well below that rating (and vice versa). I have gone into tournaments thinking I would be playing against 980 rated players and watched them put up a bunch of 920 rated rounds. It finally occurred to me to look at the number of tournament rounds and not their round rating to determine their actual talent level. If they are 980 rated and have ten or more tournaments which make up their rating average, then they are probably somewhat legit at 980. However, if they are 980 and they have played two tournaments, then it's probably a pretty safe bet that their rating is inaccurate.

Another thing to remember; The rating system is meant to be a yearly average and often you will see that someone's rated rounds are 6 months to 2 years old. A lot can happen to your game in six months and it's highly unlikely your rating is accurate.

Proper ratings for specific divisions... Eh, it's not a ratings issue - It's an honor issue. There are a lot of people who play disc golf tournaments to just "win" and not really "compete." It's a matter of ego which you can't regulate. You can try to keep it fair but there will always be those who play at a level below their abilities to just rack up victories because it strokes their ego.

REC should be only for first year players. INT. only for players from year 1 to year 3, ADV from 1 to 5. After that, window, the player's results should be evaluated and then directed toward the correct division. I realize that this will never ever happen, but it would keep 10 year players from playing INT.