Author Topic: PERRY COURSE WORK DAY  (Read 454 times)

Ranger KB

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
PERRY COURSE WORK DAY
« on: April 05, 2012, 03:42:25 PM »
We will be having a work day on the Perry course on Saturday April 28th, starting at 8:30 am.  Necessary tasks include removing small diameter woody brush, pole pruning, dragging branches, minor tree clearing, etc.  Weedeaters with a blade and chainsaws will be the most useful tools to finish up this clearing to get everything up and running.  Rakes, polesaws, etc. will also be useful.   

This course has approximately 97-98% of the course cleared.  The remaining clearing is predominately on rocky hillsides consisting of small buckbrush that needs removed so we can continue to spray the area with chemical.  There are also a few areas where trees have been dropped, but still need cut up and piled so we can burn them.  There is very little standing timber that needs removed.  We would  like to get everything cleared well enough so that we can continue to maintain it easily without putting in tons of man hours on the course.

As a side note, one of the reasons that this course has taken so long to get installed  is the lack of manpower available for this project.  There are only three Corps of Engineers Park Rangers at Perry, and we have 40,000 acres of land and water to manage.  This includes about 600 campsites, numerous parks, 10,000 acres of agricultural leases to administer, etc.  We are spread very thin, so these work days are vital to getting this course installed.  Please do not think that we have lost interest in this course, as I personally have put hundreds of hours into this project.  We do not want to just slap baskets in the ground and call it good.  Our thinking is that if we get people to have a positive experience the first time they play it, then they will want to come back. 

Directions: From the US 24 Hwy in Perry, take Ferguson Road North approx. 7 miles to 86th street.  Turn left (west) on 86th and continue about 1.5 miles, the road will curve to the south and be renamed Hamilton road.  Continue about 1 mile south to the course.  The course will be directly west across the road from the Grainery Saloon. Park along the road.  If you have questions, please contact Ranger Kyle Broockerd at 785-597-5144 or 785-215-4216.  Thanks.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: PERRY COURSE WORK DAY
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 01:50:36 PM »
Excellent information Kyle!  Thanks so much for sharing the pains that it is taking to make this right as well!

Great work!

Thanks,

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Ranger KB

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 03:29:54 PM »
Just a reminder that tomorrow is the workday at the new course at Perry.  All help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

CHAS.

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 08:53:40 PM »
Bummer I posted earlier I could help. I am working this weekend for extra money to go to the Worlds this year cannot pass on the bucks.

Ranger KB

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 02:52:24 PM »
Unfortunately, only two people showed up to the workday.  Myself and the two others got quite a bit of work done, but do to the poor showing there is still plenty of things that need done before we can get this thing ready to play.  To volunteer, please contact the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Perry Lake Project at 785-597-5144.