Author Topic: Get with it KC!  (Read 3360 times)

bagger

Get with it KC!
« on: May 04, 2006, 12:59:45 AM »
It completely baffles me that no weekend league is offered during the spring/summer/fall.  As someone who works evenings, I'm not able to participate in bag-tags because it requires attendance at one league function per month.  Even the most po-dunk disc golf communities offer random doubles on Sundays!

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • Flock Kaw Chalka
    • View Profile
Get with it KC!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 07:45:13 AM »
Feel free to start one up, with the 6 leagues we have running during this time of year it's hard to find people willing to step up and help out, let alone on a consistant basis on weekends.
DaBirdFatha
Bird > Word
Flockers Unite

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
Get with it KC!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 08:21:20 AM »
The only weekend league that's been discussed in recent years is a doubles league. Kinda hard to do the bag tag challenge playing doubles anyway. I agree that it could probably be successful, singles or doubles, but no one has stepped up to run it.

Volunteers?
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Get with it KC!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 10:20:03 AM »
I think another reason there isn't a league on Saturday or Sunday during the warm weather months is the fact that there are tournaments on a lot of the weekends that are within easy driving distance of KC, so a lot of the potential league players would be out of town.

Flip

Get with it KC!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 01:00:58 PM »
To be honest, we are a pretty po-dunk DG community :)

-Sean

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
Get with it KC!
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 02:26:40 PM »
Speak for yourself Sean......We're not po-dunk.....amybe a cowtown, but not po-dunk!!
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • Flock Kaw Chalka
    • View Profile
Get with it KC!
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 02:40:42 PM »
Po-dunk like this website that never gets updated...like it's suppose to have for the past year...haha...sorry had to Sean...you left it wide open.
DaBirdFatha
Bird > Word
Flockers Unite

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
Get with it KC!
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 02:52:35 PM »
He left it Wide Open? Like the KC Wide Open. Yeah, all po-dunk DG towns have an event like that every year. Eight permanent courses with more on the way....  Somehow po-dunk doesn't seem to fit.

I believe the originator of this thread was comparing us to a po-dunk town as an insult to the fact we don't have weekend leagues and some of the "smaller" towns do is all. I take no offense and agree with him.

As far as the website getting updated, Sean has set up several people with the ability to update it and it still occasionally languishes so it's not all his fault. There's always this discussion board though. It tends to get updated daily, if not hourly by somebody with too much time on their hands....  uh.... bye
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037

Flip

Get with it KC!
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 03:39:41 PM »
Simmer people.  I guess I should have used the sarcastic emoticon after my post.  

We are clearly the big time pimps of midwest DG.

-Sean
 (currently pimpin' #1 on the bag)

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
Get with it KC!
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 03:45:02 PM »
I knew that....    :roll:
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
doubles league on weekends
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 11:15:13 PM »
I offered to run a doubles league and got very little response in favor of it.  Evrybody seemed to want a different format, and then it's true there's a lot of tournaments that will take players away from a potential doubles league on the weekend.  If I could could get a commitment from at least sixteen different people who would regularly show up, I think it might work.  Also, I would like for someone else to help me run the league, as I am also busy on weekends doing different things.  Anybody have any ideas?  Later-Bob Hayett

MOSPARKY

Get with it KC!
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 05:33:37 AM »
League nights Monday through Friday is enough.  Want to play on the weekend, play skins with your buddies.  Sorry you can't make it to league nights.  Get out of work a little earlier.  You can't make that much more money from 5-6p.m. , or try waking up a little earlier!!!

bagger

Get with it KC!
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 07:37:51 AM »
Actually I work 5-7 AM and then 5-9 PM, so I'm not sure how leaving work early would help my situation, plus I think I wake up early enough.  

It's funny to hear the arguement about tournaments because that is all I can ever play because THERE IS NO WEEKEND LEAGUE.  It would be nice to have some competition without forking out $50.  Since I've moved here, I've played six tournaments and not one league event (yes, I am a dues paying club member).

For those of you that suggest if I want, I should it organize it, you're right! My schedule has me out of town 1-2 weekends a month but I would be happy to team up with Bob and help out.

Bagger

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Get with it KC!
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 09:42:20 AM »
the bottom line is that it is almost impossible to have someone running a regular league on the weekends.  There are too many other items that happen for almost everyone.  During the "off season months" we have leagues at Down Under and At Olathe on Saurdays.

During the "prime tourney" season it just has not made sense with the advent of so many events to try and host an event on the weekends.  I for one want to have a rotating league on Saturdays between Cliff and Blue Valley.  The first Saturday of the month would be a kids clinic at the short BV course at 10:00 between May and September, then we can funnel that into the first flight program.  Time just does not allow this to come to pass.  Hopefully things will change, but you can never tell.  

The bottom line is sadly that the best method for the weekend play is through your own friends.  We currently have 7 leagues during the week:
Monday-Olathe-Bob Hyatt
Monday-Cliff Drive-House
Monday-News Players League (Rosedale-Free to all)-Paul Eklund
Tuesday-Swope-Becekett
Wednesday-Pete or Jay
Thursday-Waterworks-Ted Keith
Friday-WyCo-Kevin Montgomery

If you truly can not find a day to make it to one of those nights that is too bad.  I play in many areas, and for the most part very few weekend leagues really happen, most leagues are on the weeknight no matter where I travel.  The truth of the matter is that we are missing a fun doubles night in KC.  We need to have a random draw doubles league at some place, and encourage our newer players to play with the seasoned folks, that is really what we are missing.

The other fact is that with weekend play which course?  Rosedale/Olathe/WW are very busy during the weekend play, and to try to fight through the casual golfer would be hard.  Swope can have spikes of players.  The best solution to this would be Blue Valley, yet not too many people want to play a 3-4 hour round on Saturday for league.
'
This item has been discussed many times, but not true win win situation has came about from this yet.

Sorry to post such a bad note.

Thanks,

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

MOSPARKY

Get with it KC!
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 04:10:11 PM »
take it easy bagger!!!  just giving some suggestions.  Not going to blame you for workin, but that's just the way it is.