Author Topic: Throwing Lefty  (Read 527 times)

Kelly Markum

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Throwing Lefty
« on: April 19, 2012, 04:14:40 PM »
So i recently had an injury to my throwing arm & havent been able to throw for a few weeks. The itch was getting too strong & i had to go play. I did it left handed & was actually surprised how well it went. I tried again last night & the drives are coming in nicely but the approach & putting has been really difficult. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever tried this or has any tips for throwing with your opposite hand.
"You really can sing and dance! " -- Whiskey

Dale W

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing Lefty
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 11:45:06 PM »
I've tried it, but my drives are horrible lefty so far.  My putts and short/medium upshots arent too bad, though.  Phil Arthur said monday evening the way he learned to throw lefty was to watch himself in a mirror throwing righty, then mimick it lefty.  Havent had a chance to try that out yet, though.
Sorry to hear about your luck!!!   :P

Jake B

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 09:05:21 AM »
In my dreams I can throw lefty!
My wife is glad I only try to throw that way in my sleep, she sleeps to my right and would get whacked!
So far the real life attempts haven't been as fluid.

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 09:12:36 AM »
1. think about how you learned to throw with your dominant hand.
2. do the same thing with your other hand.
3. repeat step 2
Maurice Richard Gleauzinier
Freelance Flight Tightener
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com
Please be quiet when people are throwing

Danny Rodriguez

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 09:14:09 AM »
i started throwing lefty a year or so a go to compensate for my lack of a forehand shot.     as far as drives,     i concentrated on my footwork and i felt that helped me alot, lots of reps trying to be consistent with my footwork..  also i put an orange cone 30' in front of me and i tried to make sure i was releasing at the same time so i would attempt to have the disc fly directly over the cone, helped me with accuracy. 

i have the luxury of getting lots of reps in because i have a dog that will bring them back to me so i can get 50 throws in about 20  minutes.  practice, practice. 

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 09:49:14 AM »
I don't know if you have played baseball/softball, but a backhand lefty shot is like a right handed bat swing.  That association might help figure it out.  I would think the footwork is the most difficult to get right.  Practice the X step and it should work out.   Good luck

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 09:37:28 AM »
That's such a lefty hole