Author Topic: Throwing Lefty  (Read 466 times)

Kelly Markum

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Throwing Lefty
« on: April 19, 2012, 04:14:40 PM »
So i recently had an injury to my throwing arm & havent been able to throw for a few weeks. The itch was getting too strong & i had to go play. I did it left handed & was actually surprised how well it went. I tried again last night & the drives are coming in nicely but the approach & putting has been really difficult. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever tried this or has any tips for throwing with your opposite hand.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Dale W

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing Lefty
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 11:45:06 PM »
I've tried it, but my drives are horrible lefty so far.  My putts and short/medium upshots arent too bad, though.  Phil Arthur said monday evening the way he learned to throw lefty was to watch himself in a mirror throwing righty, then mimick it lefty.  Havent had a chance to try that out yet, though.
Sorry to hear about your luck!!!   :P

Jake B

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 09:05:21 AM »
In my dreams I can throw lefty!
My wife is glad I only try to throw that way in my sleep, she sleeps to my right and would get whacked!
So far the real life attempts haven't been as fluid.

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 09:12:36 AM »
1. think about how you learned to throw with your dominant hand.
2. do the same thing with your other hand.
3. repeat step 2
Maurice Richard Gleauzinier
Freelance Flight Tightener
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com
Please be quiet when people are throwing

Danny Rodriguez

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 09:14:09 AM »
i started throwing lefty a year or so a go to compensate for my lack of a forehand shot.     as far as drives,     i concentrated on my footwork and i felt that helped me alot, lots of reps trying to be consistent with my footwork..  also i put an orange cone 30' in front of me and i tried to make sure i was releasing at the same time so i would attempt to have the disc fly directly over the cone, helped me with accuracy. 

i have the luxury of getting lots of reps in because i have a dog that will bring them back to me so i can get 50 throws in about 20  minutes.  practice, practice. 

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 09:49:14 AM »
I don't know if you have played baseball/softball, but a backhand lefty shot is like a right handed bat swing.  That association might help figure it out.  I would think the footwork is the most difficult to get right.  Practice the X step and it should work out.   Good luck

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 09:37:28 AM »
That's such a lefty hole