Author Topic: Air Conditioning Freon Recharging Heads Up-Costs are tripling  (Read 559 times)

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
So this is a heads up for those of you that have AC units with leaks.  My cousin is in Heating and Air and came over to recharge my house  AC.  Freon recently doubled in price and will triple in price in a few weeks.  So if you have an older unit, now might be the time to get it recharged before it costs you more.  Supposedly the EPA is trying to get Americans to switch over to newer units that use a different type of freon.  This freon can't be used in older units so millions of folks will have to face the unexpected higher costs of freon or paying thousands for a new unit, lines, a coil etc. 

When  he told me the cost for the freon (his costs) i was shocked.  So i hope this saves a couple of you all some dineros if you were planning on recharging your AC units. 

Guth

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Air Conditioning Freon Recharging Heads Up-Costs are tripling
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 09:50:09 AM »
Ahh... a/c if it keeps the wife happy it must be a good thing. I just bought one of those little cans of freon for my car and it was $15! Looks like a/c is getting to be one of those entitlements only for the rich again, or those with connections. I grew up in KC and we didn't have a/c at home tell I was in my late teens about the time good old mom & dad kicked me out. lol

five2loves42

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 12:42:03 PM »
Your tax dollars at work.  Global Warming!!!! Global Warming!!!!!
Even a bad day on the disc-golf course beats ANY day at work! -
Tom V.

dan howard

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Vivid Earth Tie Dyes
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 03:16:35 PM »
Tom you do realize that this is a worldwide phaseout of a gas that has been proven to deplete the ozone, not because of it's contribution to warming.  I know John's wording makes it sound like the EPA is responsible but the US and 196 other countries agreed to the Montreal Accord in 2004 to eliminate ozone depleting chemicals, R22 is one of 'em.  We love our ozone, without it our plastic would quickly become brittle and break when it hit one of the concrete structures that replaced the trees that used to be obstacles on our golf course.

Jake B

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 04:21:33 PM »
According to my HVAC guy, who only charges $20/lb, said that the new gas is even more harmful... and the EPA knows this!!!

five2loves42

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 04:54:41 PM »
Tom you do realize that this is a worldwide phaseout of a gas that has been proven to deplete the ozone, not because of it's contribution to warming.  I know John's wording makes it sound like the EPA is responsible but the US and 196 other countries agreed to the Montreal Accord in 2004 to eliminate ozone depleting chemicals, R22 is one of 'em.  We love our ozone, without it our plastic would quickly become brittle and break when it hit one of the concrete structures that replaced the trees that used to be obstacles on our golf course.

Dan, Understand all too well. Next think is the per mile carbon tax, Is everyone ready to pay 2 or 3 times the current going rate for gasoline so we'll move to the alternative plug-in cars that generate much more carbon from the coal-fired power plants we are using, but can't replace because no one wants a new-clear (yes I know I spelled it wrong) power plant in their back yard..... oh politics and $$$ so much fun...
Even a bad day on the disc-golf course beats ANY day at work! -
Tom V.

NoSponsor

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 06:47:22 PM »
You shouldn't have to have your condenser recharged every year. If you do then you have a leak and someone should fix the leak if at all possible.  Most common leaks occur at the saddle valves outside by the condenser. sometimes the saddle valve can be loose or the cap that covers them is loose.  It creates a small leak that over time may cause the need for more freon.  These leaks can be fixed by tightening the caps with a wrench, just a quarter turn after they are hand tight.
Sean Elliott