Author Topic: Recovery Advice??  (Read 594 times)

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Recovery Advice??
« on: May 22, 2012, 11:21:09 AM »
Naturally, two weeks before the Wide Open, I've pulled my hamstring playing slow pitch softball. I don't think it's a very bad strain as it doesn't hurt to walk, it simply just isn't 100% and I know they don't heal very quickly. Does anyone have legitimate advice as to how I can speed up the recovery process?

I had to back out of the GBO for work reasons and I'm not about to back out of the KCWO without a fight.

Thanks for any input.
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Recovery Advice??
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 11:44:21 AM »
Naturally, two weeks before the Wide Open, I've pulled my hamstring playing slow pitch softball. I don't think it's a very bad strain as it doesn't hurt to walk, it simply just isn't 100% and I know they don't heal very quickly. Does anyone have legitimate advice as to how I can speed up the recovery process?

I had to back out of the GBO for work reasons and I'm not about to back out of the KCWO without a fight.

Thanks for any input.

Go to GNC and get some bromelain tablets. Take like 5 of them on an empty stomach with as much water as you can stand. the sooner after the injury you do it , the faster the recovery.

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 12:11:41 PM »
espouse elucidation

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 12:14:59 PM »
Ice and rest, it's really the best thing you can do.  Practice putting.     

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 12:21:13 PM »
Ya ya I know, I could ALWAYS stand to practice putting.
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 02:09:34 PM »
Yes... ICE, ICE, ICE!!!!! Reducing any inflammation is key to recovery. They have recently come out with cold packs that are made with clay (so they never freeze solid) so they can wrap around you leg so you can continue light daily activity. They are available at any pharmacy, Walmart, and Target for around $10. After a few days of icing with minimal exercise you want to start in with easy stretching and with the exercises in the video Jami posted. Luckily is sounds like a minor strain as hamstrings are PAINFUL so just icing and easy movements are the way to go. This is a good time to work that putting and your standing midrange game  :P 
Throw farther, not harder...
PDGA#52809
2014 Tags: 20

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 10:58:03 PM »
Always looking for volunteers to help out at the Wide Open......if it doesn't hurt that bad, I could use a caddy! :'( :-*
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 11:42:04 PM »
not ice - R.I.C.E., which is an acronym for rest ice compression elevation
espouse elucidation

Loomis

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 08:14:34 AM »
Aleve will take care of the swelling and you can take two of those at a time. If you can find a sauna, that will help too. If not, find a pool and do leg exercises to keep everything moving. Nothing serious, just light stuff. Good Luck, Hinck. I hope to see you out there.

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 08:30:08 AM »
I've got the R.I.C.E. stuff taken care of. Just a matter of knowing when to begin stretching it out. Didn't seem to give me any trouble walking into work this morning. Hopefully by the end of this upcoming glorious three day weekend, I will be throwing a little in preparation for KCWO.

Just hoping I don't make it to my last hole of the tourney and have to wait 30 minutes on the teepad to tee off after an injury a hole ahead. Thus, missing a 15 footer to save par and a tie for fifth. S^*% happens I suppose...
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

edwinwhatshisface

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 08:54:07 AM »
Yah, that sucked, I was the first person to tee-off after that injury on hole two with an entire gallery watching, let's just say I didn't get back to back birdies
"I'm a mushroom-cloud-layin' mother******, mother******! Every time my fingers touch brain, I'm Superfly T.N.T., I'm the Guns of the Navarone!"  -Jules-