Author Topic: Course Improvements  (Read 2519 times)

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Course Improvements
« on: January 09, 2006, 10:33:11 PM »
As always winds tend to blow trash through through our corner of Swope Park, and needs help finding it's way to cans..........

I have two 100 year benches that can be installed. I know one of them can go on 18, and I think that one could go on 12 or 13. 17's bench needs to be repaired.

What I would really like to do and will need some help with is placing more stones like the 100 year benches are sitting on, to create an area for trash/recycle cans, and tee signs.

Old pin placements are marked and need to be removed as they do wreak havoc on lawn mowers.

A ton of dead trees have been removed and need to be replaced, namely on hole 7. The club has $100 dollars and  I would like to explore ways to increase that (i.e. tournament).

The bridges are in need of dire repair. This is a major job that I will need a few hands with this spring/summer.

I would also like to plant some low maintenance periennials around the pro shop.

That's all I can think of at the moment I'm sure there are more that I'm not thinking of or haven't thought of and am open to any suggestions. I can also use any help that anybody would like to lend.
Mike Penney

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
Course Improvements
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 10:04:14 PM »
We played Sunday AM, the course was in good shape and we didn't notice much trash?  I tore it up.....58, which for me ROCKS!
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Course Improvements
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 09:14:29 AM »
One of the bridges has been repaired and now feels much better to walk across. The loose boards around the Pro Shop have been fastened down better. The stairs up to 14's tee have been cleaned up.

17's beanch needs to be reset...
 still need tee signs.......someday.....someday.....soon
Mike Penney

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Course Improvements
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 09:53:04 PM »
Tee signs poles have been installed. Signs will be soon       Yea!!!!  :D  :D
The deck and Pro Shop have been power washed and will be painted this week. (Weather providing)
New flags have been installed.
Bushes by the Pro Shop have been trimmed up.
Placements and baskets for the "Gold Course" are in.

Most of the course is in the "Gold" lay out. There are still a few baskets that need to be moved to the longest settings. (If you have keys feel free to move them all long.)

There is quite a bit of trash along Elmwood, Please help me make the course shine and pick up a few pieces on your way to play.

Big Thinks to Pat Smith for his hard work on the deck and Pro Shop, and Chris Mann and doug for all of thier hard work with the tee signs.
Mike Penney

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Course Improvements
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 02:00:52 PM »
why flags now?  Leave them out so that the course looks great for the WIde Open, that is when presentation really counts.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Course Improvements
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 06:16:05 PM »
The course should look great at all times, not just for the Wide Open. It's a maintence thing that needs to be done every once in a while, dude. :lol:
Jeez cut a guy some slack...........
Mike Penney

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Course Improvements
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 09:53:08 AM »
looking great does not mean having the best flags out there for casual play.  @ $180/set we need to make sure that they look good for the event, the regular daily flags should be used and the new ones should only be used for tournament play so that we are not spending $~1400+/yr just on flags for the courses.  We have plenty of flags that are "slightly used" that should be needed for replacements.  We don't have the funds or the support to keep up new flags as we would all like all the time.

Flags do get destroyed, but as I have suggested for years we should have non-specific flags for daily play, then numbered flags for events only.

I do agree the course should look good all the time, but your talking about a course that need little in work and effort when we have 2 courses that need much love and attention right now.

jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Course Improvements
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 07:11:12 AM »
Umm litle work and effort at Swope? How many times have you emptied trash at Cliff Drive this year? I still have a few miles a rope to put out, not to mention a few other things that have to be done. I'm not tring to wait till the last minute to have Swope ready, because like you said there are 2 other courses the need love and attention. The WO is in less then a month, and ALL the courses still need a ton of work. Hopefully thaey will all get touched up. But I am one guy doing as much as I can on 5 courses with very little time to get it done. Water Works and Rosedale need to be mulched, Cliff Drive I'm not going to get into here what all it needs, I believe that Dan has Blue Valley under control.
Mike Penney