Author Topic: Disc Golf vs Ultimate  (Read 459 times)

Utz

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
Disc Golf vs Ultimate
« on: June 04, 2012, 08:27:24 PM »
Unbelievable... How many takes do you think it took to get the basketball hoop shots...geesus...

Also, anyone out there come from an Ultimate background, that now plays Disc Golf? My roots lie in Freestyle, I just cant get enough disc sports...!

Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Disc Golf vs Ultimate
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 10:28:58 PM »
I played Ultimate competitively for a couple of years when I was new at disc golf, still play in Kansas City's Spring/Summer/Fall leagues. I'm not as serious as I used to be, but a lot of best friends are still Ultimate players so that way I get to hang out with them and drink beer.

I saw this video last week and was very happy to see Brodie put out a video with Avery, showcasing the golf side of the disc community. He puts out a lot of videos and gets a lot of publicity for the sport, so I'm glad to see him do this. He's even had a few plays put on Sportscenter's Top 10 Plays. With Ultimate gaining a lot of swing the last few years among High School/College kids, Disc Golf has been on a similar rise but hasn't gotten as much attention, at least it seems that way to me. The USA Ultimate College Nationals have been televised (recording) by CBS the last couple of years, even.

I still love Ultimate, but it got to the point where I had to choose which one I wanted to compete and grow in. I wish I could play both on a competitive level but there is just so much commitment required for either one; doing both just wasn't realistic.

dan howard

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Vivid Earth Tie Dyes
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 11:55:48 PM »
Brodie's amazing.

Epic Frisbee Trick Shots 2011 | Brodie Smith

Maurice Gleauzinier (a formidable Ultimate player in his day) sent me this one.  We were lucky enough to play in the Pro Ultimate Nationals in San Diego together a long time ago.  I was foolish to overlook disc golf as a walk in the park spoiler back then.

ObiWan

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 09:16:52 PM »
Although I technically started with disc golf, I took ultimate seriously first. My first time out at a course was when I was 5 or 6. My dad and I would get out a couple times a year. When I was in high school we had an ultimate club that would play upwards of 3 times a week. I did that for all four years. I haven't had the chance to get into freestyle yet, but would love to. Speaking of which, is there anyone in the club who would be willing to share some knowledge/teach me freestyle? It looks like a blast.

All together, I would say that playing both ultimate and disc golf has brought improvement to both the games for me. I can now "pull" the length of the field, and wouldn't have learned to hammer or forehand near as well without a lid to do so. Golf helped me control the lids and understand how to play in windier conditions. Ultimate widened my shot options and has helped me plenty of times when my drives put me in the woods.

I currently play in a recreational ultimate league once a week. My team is now 3 and 1. If my schedule changes I may try and get into the KC league, but that will be a tough decision as I will also be able to make the KCFDC leagues.

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 12:27:30 AM »
BTW. That Star Roc Avery is using, He gave it to me with boff their signatures on it...!

Yup, You could say, I'm kind of a big deal... ;D

But mostly, Kind of...
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...