Author Topic: Lake Lenexa progress report  (Read 811 times)

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Lake Lenexa progress report
« on: May 21, 2006, 12:31:21 AM »
Dirk Hacker and I met with the park administrator today at Lake Lenexa and we showed him approximately where a course might go in.  I think he was very excited about the possible layout.  Within a few weeks we are going to put in a preliminary design with stakes.  We will cut a walking path in the wooded holes about where fairways may go in.  There's going to be some very fun holes to play when it's all done.  Probably the first year or two there will not be cement tees for the fact that a lot of the paths, parking lots, shelters, etc. will not go in the ground until after the disc golf course is installed.  In other words, expect the course (and entire park) to be a work in progress for some time to come.  We were shown areas that I did not know were available to us which will enhance the layout and make the course longer than I thought possible.  This could end up being a very fine course someday!  Later-Bob Hayett

Rader13

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 07:54:15 PM »
Hey, I would like some information on how I would go about getting a public course put in over here in Grain Valley.

I have found a nice peice of park land that I think could be cultivated. I don't mind doing some of the work, but would want the local government to do the funding.

Anyone here have suggestions or that would be able to lend a helping hand?

Thanks,
Matt

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 08:10:34 PM »
start by approaching the park officials--superintendent, park board, someone like that.  Get as much good info about DG as you can--check out the front page of the PDGA website, there has been an article linked from there which is great!

Keep it casual at first, just a "what if" kinda thing.  If they don't run and hide at first query, start getting a bit more serious.  That's when a layout can start to take shape; it may change if they don't want particular areas used for whatever reason, or want OTHERS used.  Emphasize the FREE nature of playing,  the family possibilities, the increased usage of the park (which can be seen as good AND bad, so stress the positives--trash pickup by DGers, safety in numbers, etc) and the emphasis upon nature and the environmental friendliness of the organized game.

It could be a bit of an economic boost too...maybe only a Coke or fast food meal per person, but that's something.

These are some of the things I used in
Ste Genevieve MO   Hope they get you in the door at least...holler when/if you want/need more help, including design ideas!

steve
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Possible Grain Valley disc golf park
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 08:59:54 PM »
You need to find out if there's going to be any town meetings specifically concerning parkland and if the meeting is open to the public.  Then you need to contact the person in charge of the parks and get their permission for you and a member or two of the KCFDC board to attend the meeting.  Also you need to get permission to give a presentation on disc golf.  I've been in sales for over twenty years.  I believe I would be an excellent person to be at that meeting and ENTHUSIASTICALLY sell them the idea of a disc golf course.  I probably wouldn't have the time to help design the course, but we have qualified board members who may be able to help.  The main thing is to get the person in charge to start shaking his head yes when you give the presentation, and also the other people at the meeting (most of whom probably don't know anything about disc golf) to come up to you (or me) and say "what a great idea!" after you give the presentation.  Sometimes the decision making process can take years after a town meeting, as did the public meeting on Lake Lenexa.  The MOST IMPORTANT thing is to develop an initial good impression (professional) of the KCFDC and plant in their mind how easy and economical it is to put in a course.  Anyway, if you would like me to be a "point-man" at a future town meeting, or meet with the parks director of Grain Valley, let me know.  Later-Bob Hayett

Rader13

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 10:33:58 AM »
wow, hey, thanks for the suggestions. I will have to get on it. Drove by the land again last night and I'm itchin to play this place.

Thanks