Author Topic: 2013 AM Worlds in Emporia! - July 7-13, 2013  (Read 13131 times)

kselrod

Re: 2013 AM Worlds in Emporia! - July 7-13, 2013
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2013, 08:35:15 AM »
http://www.dynamicdiscs.com/2013amworlds/

Everyone who can only play pro: try to volunteer a day or two. I was hoping to do several but have to work most of the week. I think I'll only get down there for a day but it is still important to help out where we can.

Cooper, great idea and thanks for the support for us AM's!  It sounds like the city is geared and ready for us to show up now is all!!  Should be a good time right here in our own backyard!!!

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2013, 02:24:06 PM »
9 days until check-in. 
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2013, 12:56:25 PM »
5 days to check in.

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 03, 2013, 11:49:46 AM »
4 days to check in

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 03, 2013, 02:03:52 PM »
Can you tell I'm pumped?!

http://allthingsdiscgolf.com/2013-pdga-amateur-disc-golf-world-championship-preview/

All Things Disc Golf: Speaking of players packÖ Can you spill the beans on what everyone is getting?

Jeremy Rusco: I think it will be more exciting to see the reaction of the players first hand so I donít want to spill the beans just yet. I think it is safe to say with Dynamic Discs & Latitude 64 being the presenting sponsors that the players should expect something, or several exciting things, from Dynamic Discs and Latitude 64. On top of that, we have several other manufacturers who are contributing and sponsoring the event. Discraft and Disc Golf Association (DGA) have been a tremendous help and sponsor for the event. I donít have confirmation as of yet, but I could see a new release being put in the players pack from Discraft. DGA provided not only a fresh set of 18 new blue Mach Vís for the West course at Jones Park, but also provided trophy baskets for the awards and a disc in the players package. Legacy Discs, Innova, and Prodigy are all player pack and event sponsors so you should expect some items from them as well.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 03, 2013, 02:50:08 PM »
.......DGA provided not only a fresh set of 18 new blue Mach Vís for the West course at Jones Park, but also provided trophy baskets for the awards and a disc in the players package. Legacy Discs, Innova, and Prodigy are all player pack and event sponsors so you should expect some items from them as well.

Crap there goes world's....wonder if I can get my money back, horrible that use those things on World's courses, I mean imagine the nerve of the great DD allowing that to happen in their backyard!

Sarcasm should be notated, and yes I am pumped as well, and wouldn't have said a damn thing about it if it weren't a hot topic....(deleted because I feel nice today)
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 03, 2013, 03:00:23 PM »
no
Jones East and West
Peter Pan
Country Club Golf Course
Municipal Golf Course

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/AW2013Schedule_v3.0.pdf

Yes I do realize that I am not DD, but I imagine that they are all hands on deck getting ready for this.  Having ran the Am Worlds it is a beast of an event.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 03, 2013, 03:07:21 PM »
DGA provided not only a fresh set of 18 new blue Mach Vís for the West course at Jones Park,

Saw them a few weeks ago and they are purty.

They also got some of these:

All Things Disc Golf: The finals will be played with Latitude 64 Pro Baskets, correct? Will they be in play for other rounds?

Jeremy Rusco: Yes! We just received these baskets last week and are excited to introduce the first 18 hole course in the United States with Latitude 64 Pro Baskets. The baskets will be in use all week at the Country Club!

http://www.latitude64.se/products/course-equipment/

Which I think is hilarious considering the discussion of late.  Even DD can't make up their mind between Mach V or 'yellow banded' baskets. 

(however, that band does look smaller in proportion to the target zone, and hopefully won't have the effin' terrible 'clank' sound)

Or maybe they did - they don't care and take whatever is cheap / economical / free.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 03, 2013, 03:52:32 PM »
With their obvious partnerships with Lat 64, makes sense that this would be the first place across the pond to make it happen.  Expensive I am sure as all get out on the shipping costs though.

It really goes to show that the baskets aren't the deciding factor in regards to the course selection, but merely a preference and ability to get the course in as they see it work best for their environment.  In this case I am sure that they worked with the City to ensure that everyone was happy with the selection.

Honestly though getting new baskets on courses is something that helps with the Worlds coming to town, everything gets looked over again and again by not only the disc golf club, but the municipalities that they support.  Lemon Lake just painted theirs this past spring, so they got them all shiny for the visitors.  We got new baskets on a few courses and got courses planted in time for worlds here in 2009 as well.  It takes an entire community to make it work in disc golf, and though we have issues, we are in a good repository in the middle of the US.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

coops

« Reply #114 on: July 03, 2013, 06:49:15 PM »
DGA provided not only a fresh set of 18 new blue Mach Vís for the West course at Jones Park

Mach Vs are great! They are a wonderful improvement over the Mach IIIs that were there previously since they have three sets of chains and an improved top chain assembly.

Agreed. The Discatchers are the gold standard of technology. Mach III's are inferior in many ways and an over-reliance on them is usually based on an argument for tradition and not in favor of catching ability or the poor and un-uniform kicks that are generated from the upper chain assembly. If anything we should be preferring Mach V's.

Great thanks to DGA.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 07:10:51 PM by Cooper »

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #115 on: July 05, 2013, 07:09:27 AM »
East? West? Who cares...
ROC 'em in Emporia -- Team MO-KAN!
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36, 23, 32, 33, 57
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

hberciunas

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 05, 2013, 09:17:21 PM »
Played Jones West today with the new Mach V. NOT IMPRESSED.

Now, it could be that the footings were a bit loose, and/or the sleeves were loose, and/or the baskets were leaning a bit, and/or the new chains are tight, but . . .

I layed in two putts, center of chains. In my opinion - perfect putts . . . not too hard to hit the pole and putter bounced out. Not too high, not too low, not left, not right . . .perfect puts. (one was about a 8 foot gimme).

I thought that baskets are supposed to catch good shots, not spit them out.

If the misses were my fault, I would take it. These misses were due to the basket.

I think the outside chain diameter is to close to the diameter of the basket and the chains are too tight.

Haven't really thought too much about baskets, other than the really crappy old home made versions, until this thread. And now, I am paying attention and will evidently change my game for these rejection baskets.
PDGA #53842
KCFDC #1406
2012 KCFDC tag: 217
2013:            DD:           Beer League:
2014: 48

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 05, 2013, 09:21:01 PM »
East? West? Who cares...
ROC 'em in Emporia -- Team MO-KAN!

*like*

coops

« Reply #118 on: July 05, 2013, 11:47:35 PM »
Played Jones West today with the new Mach V. NOT IMPRESSED.

Now, it could be that the footings were a bit loose, and/or the sleeves were loose, and/or the baskets were leaning a bit, and/or the new chains are tight, but . . .

I layed in two putts, center of chains. In my opinion - perfect putts . . . not too hard to hit the pole and putter bounced out. Not too high, not too low, not left, not right . . .perfect puts. (one was about a 8 foot gimme).

I thought that baskets are supposed to catch good shots, not spit them out.

If the misses were my fault, I would take it. These misses were due to the basket.

I think the outside chain diameter is to close to the diameter of the basket and the chains are too tight.

Haven't really thought too much about baskets, other than the really crappy old home made versions, until this thread. And now, I am paying attention and will evidently change my game for these rejection baskets.

What were the misses like? I've typically had good experience on Mach Vs (though I'm sure most know they are not my preference).

Like you said it might have something to do with the way they are installed or even just being so new. (The sliders on the top edge of the chains can get sticky and make the chains overly taut. If that is the case it might be alleviated with time and play.)

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 06, 2013, 01:44:58 PM »
I was with Harold and they did seem to be on the stiff side, like they needed to be worn in.